Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Becker, Edberg, Sampras, Agassi,Rafter etc.

Now we get clay courter moonballers or defensive players (Nadal and Djoker)with WTA serving and tapping shots back and living 100 yards behind the baseline as someone's biggest conquest indoors. Horrible era for indoor tennis

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
By the way, why are you mentioning Agassi? He was never all that indoors.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Becker, Edberg, Sampras, Agassi,Rafter etc.

Now we get clay courter moonballers or defensive players (Nadal and Djoker)with WTA serving and tapping shots back and living 100 yards behind the baseline as someone's biggest conquest indoors. Horrible era for indoor tennis
I kind of agree, specially with Nalbandian and Davydenko gone. Indoor was definetly better in the 90s, still Tsonga, Djokovic and Murray are good indoor players and Federer is one of the alltime greats indoor.

An odd one in the 90s was still Corretja and Moya playing a master cup final, I think after 96 quality went down alot with Becker, Edberg and Stich gone, Agassi taking meth and Sampras declining.

·
29,645 Posts
Djokovic is not a defensive player
He's a 50-50 hybrid (counterpuncher). Not a complete Nadull-like retriever, but against the Soderlings and Berdychs he will adopt that strategy before saving his aggression for the pig.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Soderling and Berdych are quite good aswell, if you have TMC with Federer, Djokovic, Murray, Tsonga, Soderling, Berdych, Del Potro and Nalbandian back to form that would be a great indoor tournament.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Haha such a museum post.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Djokovic is not a defensive player
And he always plays inside the baseline. These generalizations are pathetic and untrue.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
He's a 50-50 hybrid (counterpuncher). Not a complete Nadull-like retriever, but against the Soderlings and Berdychs he will adopt that strategy before saving his aggression for the pig.
Amazing that you can dismiss Rafa and Nole as counterpunchers and still be a huge Murray fan. :lol:

·
Registered
14,624 Posts

·
29,645 Posts
But how can you be a fan of a guy that embodies the game style that you hate the most? :scratch:
Slices, variety, net game, he has those, although they're meaningless when it comes to winning the big ones of course. I don't mind Novak when he's clobbering Nadal off the court btw ;)

I'd have less of a dislike for defensive styles if different styles were succeeding on tour as well, for example when Bruguera was hitting 7ft high topspin forehands, Sampras was serving and volleying and Stich was playing finesse backhands, all were winning. Now it's just all defence and no shotmaking besides the odd flash from old man Fed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts