Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given that all 4 slams have been played this year, by the end of september, both Cilic and Del Potro will turn 30 which means that there won't be a single player below the age of 30 who has won a slam. Not one.

How crazy is that?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Kinda crazy indeed but it's not necessarily bad or "sad".

This just proves that we're watching the Golden Era of tennis where the 3 greatest tennis players compete against each other and it's amazing. I feel for the other players on tour though.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
This is currently the most interesting sport topic for an academic thesis/research..

Really hope someone take it up seriously so we can get a definitive, scholarly explanation for this drastic transformation..

I personally find "the Big 3 are superhumans" argument quite simplistic..

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
This is currently the most interesting sport topic for an academic thesis/research..

Really hope someone take it up seriously so we can get a definitive, scholarly explanation for this drastic transformation..

I personally find "the Big 3 are superhumans" argument quite simplistic..

I don't think you need a 20 00 word thesis for this. A short article would suffice. There are usually 4 or 5 major reasons. From the unique talents of the big 3, to the the court speed changes, to the advances in sports science etc.

·
6,247 Posts
I don't think you need a 20 00 word thesis for this. A short article would suffice. There are usually 4 or 5 major reasons. From the unique talents of the big 3, to the the court speed changes, to the advances in sports science etc.
Yeah, it wasn't that long ago when over 30 was regarded washed up, even late 20s.
I remember them saying that about Becker way back at Wimby 1995 when he lost to Sampras, although he had one last hurrah at the AO 6 months later.
Agassi probably started the trend of peaking late in his career, and 5 Slams after turning 29.
A combination of advanced training and recovery techniques mean many sports players can play for longer.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
This is a truly extraordinary situation, especially when you realise how many players won their slams well under the age of 30: e.g. Nastase, Edberg (under 27), Borg, McEnroe (under 26), Wilander, Kuerten (under 25), Bruguera (under 24), Courier (under 23), Hewitt (under 22). Correspondingly, several multiple slam winners won their first slam at a very young age: e.g. Wilander, Becker (17), Borg (18), Edberg, Sampras, Nadal (19), Courier, Kuerten, Djokovic (20).

In the Open Era, there are 14 players with at least one slam win in their 30s, Laver, Rosewall and Federer each having won four. Sampras and Nadal are the only players to have won slams in their teens and 30s.

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
Imagine if the prize money 50 years ago had been equivalent to today... it's probably the biggest game changer. It allows for more motivation, better nutrition, better training, better recovery, better everything. You can basically make a living today as a Top 100 tennis player.

That being said, this will not keep up. In a couple years we surely are going to get a U-30 winner.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think people don’t account for the fitness levels of athletes in any sport these days, sports nutrition and fitness levels have improved dramatically in the last 15-20 years, for example soccer players in the early 90’s declining level was 28+ but today it seems players last much longer into there 30’s

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
If guys like Thiem or Dimitrov wanted to win 20 Slams, maybe they would win 2. But why would they want that, when they could instead want 2000 Instagram likes, and actually get them quite easily?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Explanation is simple.Today, new generations around the world are spoiled brats in every life departments.They like more parties then hard work.Also, weak mentality because for most of them the most important thing in a life is what the others say about them, they don't have self-belief.They are enjoying to be part of the crowd, not someone special in itself.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Imagine if the prize money 50 years ago had been equivalent to today... it's probably the biggest game changer. It allows for more motivation, better nutrition, better training, better recovery, better everything. You can basically make a living today as a Top 100 tennis player.

That being said, this will not keep up. In a couple years we surely are going to get a U-30 winner.
And when the big 4 are finally done in 2021, generation useless suddenly starts to win slams, when they are about to get into their 30s :D

·
Registered
57,596 Posts
Sad state of things. Will hopefully get better soon and the signs are there it will, but tennis is in a bad place currently. Gen Useless is somehow worse this year after showing its first real signs of life last year, and Fedalovic went 4/4 on Slams this year playing far from their best tennis (except at Wimbledon, which was surprisingly decent).

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Human life expectancy has increased so it is just normal that athletes career should be longer.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
If guys like Thiem or Dimitrov wanted to win 20 Slams, maybe they would win 2. But why would they want that, when they could instead want 2000 Instagram likes, and actually get them quite easily?
I don't get the social media argument. Taking a selfie takes a minute, taking multiple selfies to get the perfect picture, takes 5 to 10 minutes. You still have the whole day to train. I see it in football, people blamed Pogba's form on instagram when Messi and Ronaldo post a lot more frequently than him.

·
Registered
57,596 Posts
I like that people are somehow managing to apply the reductive, reactionary "kids these days are on their phone too much" and "participation trophies ruined your generation" BS to even success in sports.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,913 Posts
Sad state of affairs when grandpas with broken backs, knees, and elbows are still snatching the major titles while players in their physical peak/prime are helpless to stop them

To be honest I wouldn't mind if none of Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic won a Slam next year

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Sad state of affairs when grandpas with broken backs, knees, and elbows are still snatching the major titles while players in their physical peak/prime are helpless to stop them

To be honest I wouldn't mind if none of Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic won a Slam next year
Andy for CYGS then? >:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts