Mens Tennis Forums banner

401 - 419 of 419 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,519 Posts
With his round one Wimbledon 2018 match, Federer has become the first player in the Open Era to play Wimbledon for 20 consecutive years:

And with the win, he has played 103 Wimbledon matches, the most by any man in the Open Era:

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Records still to go. The aforementioned titles after 35 owned by the Rocket, and titles after 30. Years in the top 4, at year end (needs one more to tie Connors). Slam win by Rosewall.

He owns all the weeks at whatever records now, although he would have to come back and play next year to get the last one.

109 titles and the 1256. And I think that is all. He won't ever finish higher than number 2 in aces, Karlobot having passed him before he passed Ivanisevic.

Matches won at the USO, and matches won in grass slams (Connors for both). That's 4 Connors records, two Rosewall and a Laver record.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
He has matched the Connors record for years in the top 4.

Fed has 13 more weeks to pass Agassi for weeks in the top 100. This is all guaranteed. I believe only Agassi and Connors have more weeks with a ranking point, but someone with the database will have to check and confirm.

The big record is the 1256. Federer is 32 wins behind Connors at equivalent points in their careers. He has surpassed Connors' career win percentage. Federer has trailed Connors his entire career, but as Connors never won a match in his age 38 year, he has a chance to catch up this year. For Federer to have a reasonable shot at this record, he needs 40 wins this year and another 35 next year.

I have to say I doubted that he'd challenge this record. I had him retiring with about 1150 wins.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Records he could still reach:

Slam wins on grass (107)

Federer: 95

Next nearest, Newcombe with 89.

This is one of the hardest records to even challenge. Next nearest post Connors is Becker's 77. Fed's passed the old pre-Connors record.

Slam wins at the USO:

Connors: 98
Federer: 85.

Still a long way away on this one. Would need a good performance.

Basically the only thing Fed cares about now are slams, (AO, WIM, USO), and smaller mickey mouse titles (for cheap wins and titles).

Federer no longer needs to care about Ranking except for entries into slams, and remaining in the top 4 to avoid Nadal/Djokovic until the SFs, and even then, the only thing he's caring about Ranking is to get that last slam to match Rosewall, and to get a couple of decent runs, SF/F at the USO, and WIM.

He just has to stay healthy until the end of 2020.

·
Registered
17,549 Posts
Records still to go. The aforementioned titles after 35 owned by the Rocket, and titles after 30. Years in the top 4, at year end (needs one more to tie Connors). Slam win by Rosewall.

He owns all the weeks at whatever records now, although he would have to come back and play next year to get the last one.

109 titles and the 1256. And I think that is all. He won't ever finish higher than number 2 in aces, Karlobot having passed him before he passed Ivanisevic.

Matches won at the USO, and matches won in grass slams (Connors for both). That's 4 Connors records, two Rosewall and a Laver record.
That 109 titles is the hardest one, 10 title until the end of his career, he needs at least 5/6 this year to have a shot, I give him like 25%

The 1256 wins is possible, but Connors won a couple of more matches, the ATP just have 1 match from Roanoke and another sources give him like 1260 wins, it's not that much but like 80 wins until the end of his career. At least for me he is going to play until 2020.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
With this AO, this extends the streak of Federer/Djokovic/Nadal/Murray towards 817. All four slams are owned and it's impossible for any player to overtake until Wimbledon this year in July.

The record of 817 would fall in October. That means this years FO, WIM and USO are very important. With the AO being accounted for that means that a challenger will likely have to win two of the three slams, which makes it much more tougher. Still possible with a solid run to the season.

If we don't see a breakthrough by July, Federer/Djokovic/Nadal/Murray will officially be the strongest era ever. They have the most number of weeks at number one for one, two and three players. They are currently behind the most number of weeks at number one for four players (Fed/Djokovic/Nadal/Murray) vs (Connors/Lendl/McEnroe/Borg). This current generation owns the record for consecutive weeks at the number one position, but are also behind the total number of weeks for five and six players (Fed/Djoko/Nadal/Murray/Roddick/JCF) vs (Connors/Lendl/McEnroe/Borg/Wilander/Edberg).

·
Premium Member
20,519 Posts
With his R16 win against Gael Monfils at Madrid Masters, Roger has reached 1,200 match wins. :yippee:

·
Premium Member
20,519 Posts
10 titles in Halle :banana: #CHAMP10N

·
Premium Member
20,519 Posts
More records!! :banana: :banana: #100WimbledonWins #186GrassCourtWins

·
Premium Member
20,519 Posts
Federer wins his 10th Basel title, his 103rd title overall. He's the only ATP player to have won 10 titles on two different surfaces (Basel/hard & Halle/grass). :bigclap:

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Well, here's the list of records still to come.

1. Match wins. Federer needs 37 this year to surpass Connors. I rate it about 60/40 that he gets it. First time he's been more likely than not to smash the revised record in his entire career.

2. Matches played. Federer needs 50 this year. This will depend on his schedule. Less likely than the wins record, 37 at his win rate will give him 47 matches, so would need just another 3 matches. Put this at 60/40 also.

3. Finals. Seven short. Finals are 2x as likely as Titles. Possible he gets it this year if he's playing well. Put it at 20 percent odds that he reaches this record this year.

4. Grass slam wins. Six short. Would need a Wimbledon final to equal. Possible he gets this again. Put it at 25 percent.

5. Rosewall's oldest slam winner. Also could get this this year.

6. Slam finals at the USO. Surprisingly has never owned this record. Lendl still has it with 8.

Records still a ways from.

1. Connors match wins at the USO. Currently Federer is 9 short.

2. Titles. Six short. Federer has never been likely to get this record at any point in his career. Winning six more at his age has only been done by Rosewall. Still say it's only 5 percent likely that he ever gets it. Not this year.

3. Weeks in the top 100. Due to slasher's adjustments, Federer is 55 weeks behind Connors here. After he overtakes Connors, Federer would own all the records from 1 to 100 for career time at various positions.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
[...]

3. Weeks in the top 100. Due to slasher's adjustments, Federer is 55 weeks behind Connors here. After he overtakes Connors, Federer would own all the records from 1 to 100 for career time at various positions.
Not the top 2 record. He lost that to Nadal last year, probably permanently.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
To me the ultimate record would be 400 slam match wins. He needs 38 so it'd take at least until 2022. Sampras had 203, so it would be quite shocking if he'd double that. He already has doubled Edberg's 178.

In terms of ranking, his most impressive record is weeks in top 3 (748 weeks as of 10 Feb), because he spent little time at #4, #5, etc. He's almost 3 years ahead of Nadal, so this record may survive for quite a long time, even though Federer seems likely to drop out of the top 3 soon.

There's some more obscure but very hard to beat records he could try to extend, like 18 consecutive years reaching a Grand Slam semifinal (2003-2020).

401 - 419 of 419 Posts