Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think may be it's Mannarino (or Fognini) and Rublev(?), Herbert and Coric (soooooooo different), Monfils and Cilic (?)

·
Registered
17,739 Posts
Malvin is too articulate for us.

Never heard the expression antipodish styles before and apparently it looks like it makes sense!

Looks like he got robbed in Popcon after all.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Simon and Karlovic ;) I would have said Simon and Llodra if Llodra still played because Karlovic does push the ball when he cannot attack

·
justice for all
16,228 Posts
Kyrgios and De Minaur. Both from the same country but with entirely different styles. Would love to see how they matchup but it’s unlikely with the amount of tennis Nick plays these days.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Never heard the expression antipodish styles before and apparently it looks like it makes sense!

I checked. It appears to be people who use a range of skin care products.

or..perhaps..
Kyrgios and De Minaur. Both from the same country but with entirely different styles. Would love to see how they matchup but it’s unlikely with the amount of tennis Nick plays these days.
@guitarra has it as both the players are Antipodean

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,289 Posts
Well if people must know, antipodes refer to the site exactly diametrically opposed to a given location on the spherical earth. It's like if someone dug a hole and passed through the centre core and came out the other side - where would they end up? North Pole to South Pole of course one well known antipode.

I think the context for the word (actually "antipodean" is the adjective) Malvinluisandy wants to use is "contrary" - players who don't play in a conventional way.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I’m gonna use this term as a player who plays the opposite style of what you would expect of them. Medvedev for example is 6’6 so you would expect him to be a ballbasher or generally attacking player but he’s incredibly defensive. Benjamin Becker too as he’s like 5’10 but ballbashed sometimes and served up to 140 mph.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well what's the deal with antipodes?
Antipodes slam (or Antipodes tournament), that's also one of the names of the Australian Open (at least in the northern hemisphere), with Down Under.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Are you looking for examples where all the strengths of player A are the weaknesses of player B and vise versa?

It usually starts with serve-return skills, which defines what type of a player you gonna be.

Out of top 100 players I have watched enough:

Type 1 - good return, forehand-backhand balance, baseline-friendly, good movement, high tennis IQ - Schwartzman/Goffin/Fognini/de Minaur/Nishikori/Simon

vs

Type 2 - good serve, powerful groundstrokes, no rhythm - Raonic/Isner/Opelka/Kyrgios/Querrey/Pospisil/Tsonga/Johnson

Big 3 isn't there since Nadal is too powerful and forehand-oriented to go to Type 1, Djokovic serves too good to go to Type 1 and Federer moves to good to go to Type 2.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Nadal and Paire

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Kyrgios and Medvedev.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts

You are spot on here. When I read the OP I was sure that this word existed cause I understood the topic instantly. Just like Mr * said, Malvin really expands horizons of English language. Simply a legend 💪 Sometimes I feel he's an anglicist at some UK university who just trolls his profession in his free time (as a form of abreaction)

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
You are spot on here. When I read the OP I was sure that this word existed cause I understood the topic instantly. Just like Mr * said, Malvin really expands horizons of English language. Simply a legend 💪 Sometimes I feel he's an anglicist at some UK university who just trolls his profession in his free time (as a form of abreaction)
Glad that people are recognising Malvin's genius.

"Antipodish" is so much better than "diametrically opposed".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts