Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, congratulations to #13 / #20 to Nadal (fans).

Second, I don't believe in coincidences. And while I believe in luck, today we witnessed no luck whatsoever, but a carefully executed plan from the very start to the finish - which was today. For some time now I am thinking about this, no, not after today, at least for a month this is growing inside my mind as a thought.

What that plan was - and how it was executed - I am humbled to present you below. Mind you, this is just a theory of my own, you are free to agree or disagree.

---

(1) Back in June, it was announced that RG 2020 will be held in - September / October time frame in Paris:

This is first crucial info for the so-called "Project 13/20". It does not take a NASA scientist, although, I am almost positive his team consulted several meteorologist experts that built models as accurate as possible to simulate weather conditions and oscillations in Paris during Sep/Oct timeframe.

Once it was determined, it was easy to simulate them. They probably trained at night, to simulate greater air moisture, and "heavier balls" on the court.

Another theory of mine is that they probably secretly built or rented a huge air conditioned hangar to design a special court that emulated 1:1 PC at RG, including clay composition, which is, by all means, not a secret.

Frankreich_Mont-Saint-Aignan_Tennis-Club-Mont-Saint-Aignan.jpg

With climate control, they could lower the temperature to 5-10-15 degrees Celsius (41-50-59 degrees F), and train in perfect "conditions" for Paris in early autumn.

This might look like a Sci-Fi script to ordinary fan, but it's not, really. Many closed arenas these days are air conditioned, although, not to the extreme settings like this, but rather to the more "human friendly" values.

In this regard, we can also notice that all statements about cold weather, heavy balls and such conditions, were just a display of acting. A perfect smoke screen for his enemies, to avoid seeing through his perfect adaptation in advance. Don't get me wrong here, adaptation and survival of the fittest is the essential property of evolution. I do not judge him or his team.

---

(2) Second data point - equally important piece of the puzzle was the fact that Nadal and his team already knew that there will be a Wilson ball change in RG 2020. This fact, little known to casual tennis followers, was, of course, announced back in November 2019:

61vw9bbdSXL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

---

It becomes clear why Nadal rejected USO attendance. This preparation was so detailed and planned to the miniscule detail, so much in fact, that any distractions, climate and conditions changes would be detrimental and threatening for its smooth execution.

It may also explain Nadal's poor, or rather displayed poor, performance in Rome. The conditions were simply not the ones he was generally preparing for. And Schwartzman was a wonder-hit surprise.

---

In any case, this post is not created in an effort to reduce Nadal's success in any way. In fact, it may be quite the opposite to demonstrate his further dedication to his goal [if true, of course].

·
23,532 Posts
Nadal playing 5D chess? So why do you think he kinda struggled against Sinner and Schwartzman? Should've he had GOATed those matches too and kept serve like what he did most of the time against Djokovic? I thought he was more clinical on serve in 2017 where he also didn't lose a Set.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, he is a human being, of course. Not a machine (despite popular belief).

Unpredictable variables are always present, they are there, what his special training could provide is the way to adapt in advance for most of them (not all, but most).

Also, he is getting older, not younger every day.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It's very obvious that he skipped USO so that he could prepare specifically for RG, and the plan worked. Winning RG is always Nadal's main objective every season, because as long as he does that, the season can already be considered a success. Winning at any of the other slams is just a bonus.

·
Registered
68,521 Posts
by being clay goat

Reactions: DinnerWarrior

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
It's very obvious that he skipped USO so that he could prepare specifically for RG, and the plan worked. Winning RG is always Nadal's main objective every season, because as long as he does that, the season can already be considered a success. Winning at any of the other slams is just a bonus.
Why couldn't we have had more reasonable voices like yours when Federer skipped RG in order to prepare for Wimbledon...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Rafa should thank Tsitsipas for tiring Nole. fresh Nole would roll over Rafa.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Moya on RG 2020 on an interview last week.

What were your first impressions of Roland Garros this year?
We’ve been training in Manacor for a few months with these balls, in the heat. We didn’t realise that the ball was very different to what he’s used to at Roland Garros. But we did think the weather would be better, we weren’t expecting it to be this cold. If you play with a little sun you don’t notice it, but those balls together with the cold, humidity, rain... it means they don’t spin as much..

So what do you do?
In the end, there’s one thing that’s very clear: Nadal has to play to the conditions at this Roland Garros. If it’s dry and the ball is bouncing high, great, let’s go for it. If the ball doesn’t bounce and that favours more aggression — because he’s not going to lose control of his shots — then we have to be more direct.

Has he changed the way he is playing?
A little, yes. This Roland Garros forces you to speculate less. The clay, with his game and if the ball bounces high, it allows you to speculate a little more if you’re not feeling confident. You hit it in, let it bounce and see if they beat you. This year, they’ll beat you if you do that, without a doubt. Mentally, you have to make an effort for every shot to make sense. To do it the easy way: when he’s in a position to attack, he has to attack instead of letting the ball bounce, his shots have to go deep.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
LOL all you're missing are the aliens used as linesman to further approximate the "conditions." They borrowed them from Roswell.
Bits of JFK's skull, missing since the Warren commission, were passed around as talismans in between points.

But actually it is true Rafa had the balls for quite awhile and was practicing with them. This came from him.

He won RG because he is the great clay player of all time and no-one is even close and they adjusted his tactic for the conditions and he adapted to the conditions.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But wouldn't Novak do the same?
Not sure to which post your question was directed, if it was to the opening post, well, yes, but Novak's focus and timeframe were limited because of HC US season. Definitely, "not good enough".

·
Registered
12,002 Posts
How did I miss this thread? Nice thesis, well done. :)

The answer might be simpler. Over the years, RAFA has had very few losses from the entire field on the clay surface.
It gives him sky high confidence to know he is a level above the rest in his play when he reaches his high level.

Other than the 3 players below, with a minimum of 5 matches played, every player on tour since Nadal started playing is either Nadal's pigeon or turkey on clay.

6​
Gaston Gaudio [ARG]
3​
3​
50.0%​
12​
Dominic Thiem [AUT]
8​
4​
66.7%​
9​
Fabio Fognini [ITA]
6​
3​
66.7%​

That's my thesis.

Fabio Fognini was not healthy enough or in top form in this COVID shortened season to get to RAFA, or it might have been a great match in these lower bouncing and sometimes windy conditions.

2019 Monte Carlo - Fogna defeats RAFA 6-4, 6-2 in the semifinal propelling him to...

...sweet Victory

Dominic had a draw from hell. Especially the young Frenchman Hugo Gaston (drop shot phenom) wore him out, and he had little left at the end for the Schwartzman marathon.

Still good friends.

French Open 2004 winner Gaston Gaudio from the Guga Generation is long gone and though he has an even record vs. RAFA, he didn't beat RAFA after he bageled and breadsticked RAFA in Buenos Aires in Feb 2005 for his 3rd consecutive win against RAFA. Gaudio was pretty much done making finals after 2005 with various injuries.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: DarkoAqua

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Rafa should thank Tsitsipas for tiring Nole. fresh Nole would roll over Rafa.
Always the same lame excuse. For the past 2 years we have been hearing ho Thiem is in Noles half so its harder.
Nole should thank the gods for lossing or else H2H would be ited right now.

So the excuse was Tsisipas tired Nole? Nole never should of played more then 3 sets. He gave Tsisipas a opening and he took it. Somethin Rafa doesnt give very often.

·
|
15,012 Posts
Nadal playing 5D chess? So why do you think he kinda struggled against Sinner and Schwartzman? Should've he had GOATed those matches too and kept serve like what he did most of the time against Djokovic? I thought he was more clinical on serve in 2017 where he also didn't lose a Set.
Its like when Federer plays Nadal, the level of tennis goes up when you face your rival.
You can't control it, it just happens.
I mean Nadal always gives his best effort, but there is a subconscious element to tennis, whereby the mind receives an emotional lift by the big occasion and then adrenaline is produced.
So of course Nadal played better vs. Djokovic than he played vs. Sinner and Diego....
And then there are other types of people who shrink in the spotlight, for example Thiem and Zverev in the US Open Final.....they didn't play their best tennis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts