Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever heard of a “Chicken Pox Party”, where parents send their kids to play with another kid who has chicken pox so they can catch it too and then become immune?

I overheard someone theorising about the Adria tour being just that for tennis players. Of course this is silly and no one should believe this conspiracy theory, but it got me thinking...

Presuming Djokovic, Dmitrov and Coric make a full recovery (and fingers crossed they do), their chances of testing positive again, let’s say at the USO, is very slim.

For others who have not yet contracted the virus, they will live in constant fear and paranoia. What if a player (let’s say Nadal) gets all the way to the semis of the USO, blitzing the field, looking the likely winner of the whole event, but then tests positive and has to withdraw, despite having no symptoms.

It will be interesting to see how the draw pans out as there will undoubtably be withdrawals and walkovers. But players like Djokovic and Dmitrov won’t have to fear such things, they can simply focus on their game relatively uninterrupted.

Reactions: skytennis

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
A person can be infected with coronavirus multiple times, and that too in a short span of time. Just because a person is infected and has recovered from it once, does not mean he/she is immune from the virus infection again.

·
justice for all
15,098 Posts
I don’t know but if true then it’s a very dangerous game for a pro athlete cause in the worst (unlikely but not impossible) scenario this could end their entire careers.

·
|
14,939 Posts
Its not worth damaging your lungs, especially for a tennis player.
And it won't be easy to catch the virus at the US Open (no crowds, no hugging, no parties etc.), so I wouldn't worry about Rafa.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I threw it here yesterday , this could have been a "covid theme " event and party . But just kidding, now just by looking at the party videos that made it to every corner in the world, making tennis famous worlwide , certainly , I don't know.
Maybe haha. I guess that 'd make the other innocent people huggin "collateral damage"

Back in March or so , It was proposed in Formula 1 for pilots and teams to do just that what you say but then ruled out.

·
11,024 Posts
Ever heard of a “Chicken Pox Party”, where parents send their kids to play with another kid who has chicken pox so they can catch it too and then become immune?

I overheard someone theorising about the Adria tour being just that for tennis players. Of course this is silly and no one should believe this conspiracy theory, but it got me thinking...

Presuming Djokovic, Dmitrov and Coric make a full recovery (and fingers crossed they do), their chances of testing positive again, let’s say at the USO, is very slim.

For others who have not yet contracted the virus, they will live in constant fear and paranoia. What if a player (let’s say Nadal) gets all the way to the semis of the USO, blitzing the field, looking the likely winner of the whole event, but then tests positive and has to withdraw, despite having no symptoms.

It will be interesting to see how the draw pans out as there will undoubtably be withdrawals and walkovers. But players like Djokovic and Dmitrov won’t have to fear such things, they can simply focus on their game relatively uninterrupted.
This is not true. People have and can become re infected... it's better not to get COVID- due to the lung damage it can potentially cause. I prefer the top guys being able to play 4+ in Grand Slam final instead of having some permanent damage that effects their endurance.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
1) If they have the mildest form, recent evidence points towards antibodies being way less present, and disappearing in a matter of months

2) If they have a more severe form, they're at risk of developing fibrosis (lung scarring) or lose some lung capacity permanently, and even losing 10% capacity for these top athletes would be a disaster and end their careers on the spot.

So this theory is ridiculous either way. Only an absolute idiot who would be clueless about science and medicine and believe in alternative methods would be willing to ta...oh.

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
Despite me already having Corona I have been tested and my antibodies are barely there anymore. I fear that the second infection might be even worse, so yes, better avoid getting corona by any means.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Despite me already having Corona I have been tested and my antibodies are barely there anymore. I fear that the second infection might be even worse, so yes, better avoid getting corona by any means.
how is your lung function now? do you feel completely back to normal now?

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
how is your lung function now? do you feel completely back to normal now?
My lugns are damaged, not as damaged as others but they're not healthy. I'll soon going to update that in my Corona blog

·
Your visions will happen
48,510 Posts
Chicken Pox Party or Corona Rave?

·
Registered
16,622 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
A person can be infected with coronavirus multiple times, and that too in a short span of time. Just because a person is infected and has recovered from it once, does not mean he/she is immune from the virus infection again.
You don't know that. Early reports of people getting it more than once were proved to be false.

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
I guess you had a moderate or severe case?
Officially a mild case which was a bit more complicated than expected. However, I know close people who were doing much much worse, so yeah I really don’t think anyone should try to get this.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts