Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
If his intention was on the racial agenda, it's a shame. However, I am not denying there are physical differences among races on average. East Asians are shorter and have some physical disadvantages compared to Western people. As an East Asian, I am taller than average women over here (that doesn't mean I am really tall though, around 172cm or 5'8 as a woman), but I could hardly find people around me who are well above my eye-level, including men. lol.

Plus, we actually talk about the physicality of Western people. Physical endurance is not only a critical factor for athletes, but also for normal people. Sometimes we envy them because we feel somehow we are short of physical endurance. (Of course, I mean on average)

The reason I brought this gene up was that first, I am a firm believer in genes, second, it gave me a cultural shock. I have never used deodorant, I thought it was normal. After reading research articles, I realized that East Asians are not normal in that.

Anyway, back to the topic, when it comes to athletes, it's a bit different story. It's because physically superb and talented Asians are likely to be athletes, which reduces the difference. Hence, factors other than race would also come into success.
East Asians are actually sweat-resistant? Never considered that. You lucky sobs lol.

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,266 Posts
Asians are white guys minus the inherit benefits of being actually white. They get racismed 24/7 but it's ok because they aren't black or Moslem. Sad state of affairs. Terrible thread.
Asians are white guys except they didn't found the Euro-North American civilization, but they are fairly more advanced than people from other regions of the Earth.
OP is a body-type and racial type-ologist, if you would know to make a distinction...

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
We are talking about elite professional athletes. Averages are meaningless stats. Yao Ming was an all-star NBA player. You only need to develop and support a small subset of players to have success in a sport, and with billions of East Asian people, there are millions of people at the heights of the elite tennis pros that are a potential talent pool. The reality is that the tallest athletes in countries like China get funneled to basketball, badminton, and volleyball, not tennis.
Yao Ming actually is a good example of my Theory, in Basketball not only height is important as height per see, but also because it often correlates to larger wingspan which gives you a massive advantage when playing basquetball. Back in the Day when Yao was active in the NBA, the Largest wingspan was of a 213 cm african-american (which I suppose was largely of west african roots) in comparison to yao Ming who had smaller wingspang regardless of being 227 cm tall.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Asians are white guys except they didn't found the Euro-North American civilization, but they are fairly more advanced than people from other regions of the Earth.
OP is a body-type and racial type-ologist, if you would know to make a distinction...
Or without the early development of agriculture and therefore not consumption of diary (at least not at the levels of the west) + extreme cold adaptation. Shorter limbs = makes it harder to lose warm, when it is needed to preserve your body warm.
It is clearly supported by the lactose-intolerance world map.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
This is racism at it’s worst. I am amazed moderators didn’t put a stop to this and Asian posters weren’t highly offended.
If you attach a value judgment to what the OP is saying, that's on you rather than him. I was surprised to see this thread too but it's in fact a legitimate discussion. Any discussion of ethnic differences is not automatically "RaCiSm." And by no possible stretch of the imagination is a discussion about tennis body types racism at its worst.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
This is still not in Ruins???
Except in Japan, tennis is simply not very popular in East Asia. Sports like badminton or table tennis are dominant, have better facilities and better coaches.
Tennis has proved time and time again that body type isn't big factor if talent and hard work is there.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I don't think I agree with the premise of the thread though. Many body types have managed to succeed in tennis and Asian players have done well in the WTA.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Well, I don't know about the validity of the specific theory presented in this opening post.

However, the idea that certain groups of people could be, on average, at a disadvantage is not completely baseless. If there are measurable differences in the statistical distribution of size or other physical characteristics across different groups of people, then it's almost inevitable that some will be, on average, more successful than others in certain areas.

But the important thing here is to stress the "on average" part. Even if the assertion in this opening post is true, then doesn't change the fact that Kei Nishikori is a better tennis player than more than 99.9999999999% of Europeans.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Disagree. In the past 30 years, since 1992 Olympics, China had always finished as one of the Top 5 countries in the medals tally at Olympics. Since Olympics 2000, China had always finished as one of the Top 3 countries, mostly as one of the Top2 countries (US being Number 1), in the medals tally at Olympics.

Chinese, being Asians, are short in stature, and there's a wrong assumption that their bodies may not be suitable to be successful athletes. If they can finish in the Top 3 at Olympics consistently, they can also play tennis. If Chinese can do it, Koreans, Japanese, Indians can do well at sports too, including tennis. It's just that the governments of those countries and also kids in those countries while growing up need to lay emphasis on sports.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Disagree. In the past 30 years, since 1992 Olympics, China had always finished as one of the Top 5 countries in the medals tally at Olympics. Since Olympics 2000, China had always finished as one of the Top 3 countries, mostly as one of the Top2 countries (US being Number 1), in the medals tally at Olympics.

Chinese, being Asians, are short in stature, and there's a wrong assumption that their bodies may not be suitable to be successful athletes. If they can finish in the Top 3 at Olympics consistently, they can also play tennis. If Chinese can do it, Koreans, Japanese, Indians can do well at sports too, including tennis. It's just that the governments of those countries and also kids in those countries while growing up need to lay emphasis on sports.
Being short is an advantage in some sports.
Also, there are weight categories in martial arts. Imagine the height categories in tennis... Or basketball... Diego would have 30 slams and Philippines would have the basketball "Dream Team".

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Being short is an advantage in some sports.
Also, there are weight categories in martial arts. Imagine the height categories in tennis... Or basketball... Diego would have 30 slams and Philippines would have the basketball "Dream Team".
Agree. Soccer is one such sport. Maradona was 5'5'' and no one controlled and dribbled that ball like he did in the history of soccer. Messi is 5'7". Pele is 5'8". The three greatest players in the history of soccer, IMO. Short people are lighter and move faster, and that helps in quite a few sports. Cricket is another sport, where the greatest batters in that sport have been relatively short.

·
Registered
588 Posts
First we have to analyse why so many top players are European.

The answer is the top tennis tournaments and training centers are in Europe. The European countries are close to each other and are so easy to travel to.

So a European teen can take a train and travel to all the different top tennis tournaments in Europe and play top players and get better themselves.

Also top players from other parts of the world come to Europe to play and thus European teenagers can play top players from around the world.

1. The first rule of any sport is to be the best, you have to play the best.

2. The 2nd rule of any sport is money matters. The more money you have, the more money you can spend on training, trainers etc.

The Asian countries are far away from Europe and they don't have any top tennis tournaments. So young players in these countries don't get to play other top young players growing up and get much better.

Also only rich asian countries are Japan, Korea, Taiwan and some regions of China. And tennis is not really very popular in these countries. China is obsessed with Olympics that bring national pride, not much interested in individual sports like tennis.
Japan and Korea are the only asian countries that take tennis seriously.
Taiwan population is too small.

Rest of the Asian countries simply don't have the infrastructure to develop a good player.

Thus you get so few top asian players.

But if given opportunities, asian players can get such as good.
Remember Michael Chang and Kei Nishikori

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
More about ‘exposure’ to a sport than bodytype imho.

Badminton & infrastructure for it in Asia far more prevalent & why u see more Asians excelling at it internationally than tennis.

Overall, the Slavs seem to dominate tennis in both men’s & women’s sectors.

·
Registered
Nadal
2,418 Posts
Disagree with OP U.S Australia, UK players All getting Dominanted by European players for like 16 years now So we can say All non European people body's are not suited for tennis. Also China Always does really well at Olympics only one Gold from U.S in the most recent one Messi is little mouse 🐁 but still one of the greats in Football same with Maradona. Cricket 🏏 Lot of short Great players same with AFL & Rugby 🏉 only sport where you need to be tall Is 🏀. The topic Just comes off as Racist & untrue to me, Nobody but Europeans have leg up in tennis right now.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I dont know about East Asia but in Southern they are very lazy for sports. The weather is hot and humid, it's very hard to practice any sport outside, your heart feels like it's going to explode.
Also, the mindset of the people living in those countries is the key. You hardly see families and parents in that South Asian region like in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal encouraging their children to become a sportsperson or a tennis player. They mostly encourage their kids to go to college, get a degree, and become a doctor or engineer or programmer, or businessman than a sportsperson. The mindset also comes with the income levels and living and economic conditions prevalent in that region. Most families don't earn enough incomes to afford paying for their kids to become a sportsman or a tennis player. Most countries in the South Asian region are still developing countries and it is relatively hard for most people there to make extra money to afford anything beyond the basic necessities of life, while life in the Western part of the world or in developed countries in Europe, America, Australia is on relatively easy mode and the people here have the ability to earn extra incomes to pay for their kids' extra-curricular activities like tennis, soccer, basketball, baseball, etc.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts