Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think it's silly also, wherever Tennis is played most will have the most likely amount of good players come from.

Just like why Canada excels in Hockey, because its all we play :rolleyes:
Nah, too logical, better to make it a matter of races.

Well, same user who said south european have "Lazy gene" few days ago.

Well, he's German, so not surprising he has some kind of obsession with human races

·
Registered
560 Posts
Asians are white guys minus the inherit benefits of being actually white. They get racismed 24/7 but it's ok because they aren't black or Moslem. Sad state of affairs. Terrible thread.
There is a really good saying in the gaming industry: no matter how good you are, there is always an Asian that is better than you. ;)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Hilarious thread.

If this were true, it makes it even more hilarious that the US does not have proper tennis players anymore.

Tall white men are fine, but they usually come with a small brain

Reactions: Nadalgoat2

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
We are talking about elite professional athletes. Averages are meaningless stats. Yao Ming was an all-star NBA player. You only need to develop and support a small subset of players to have success in a sport, and with billions of East Asian people, there are millions of people at the heights of the elite tennis pros that are a potential talent pool. The reality is that the tallest athletes in countries like China get funneled to basketball, badminton, and volleyball, not tennis.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Tbh I have thought before about how tennis generally seems to suit those with lankier body types than some other sports. And it's true this is not so common in East Asia. I know this too well since I am long limbed, lanky body type and I have a hard time finding clothes that fit me properly in Korea. I'm not exceptionally tall either, a bit over 6ft, there are quite a few guys also this tall in Korea, but it's my limb length that gives me a problem, usually shirt sleeves are too short, and my long legs make it horrible trying to find pants fit. BUT having said that, although this long limbed body type may be an advantage in tennis, there's still quite a lot of tennis players who aren't shaped like that. Tennis does allow for some variety in that department, which isn't the case in some other sports. Also there are enough people who actually are tall in east Asia, like for example if you look at players on the Korean football team there's a bunch of rather tall guys, some who are even lanky. But not many guys have been playing tennis in Korea as it has been quite a minor sport compared to soccer, baseball, golf, volleyball, etc., although its popularity is definitely growing now.
So while physical difference may be a factor, I would say popularity and access to coaching is a bigger reason you don't have more tennis players, at least here in Korea. The same has definitely been true for China too, but they have a lot of other problems which are explained in this video below. I mean one of their top prospects Wu Yibing (US open junior champion) has been playing on the domestic Chinese tennis tour all last year and this year, it's a bit of a joke.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Southern Euro/Med types are best suited for tennis.

Best combo of size, strength, moderate speed but great endurance.

Anglo/Germanic was better suited for faster courts

Good players of wholly West-African descent (Gael, Felix) struggle to go deep because they have grear power and speed but not naturally great endurance.

I'm guessing East Asians lack the sheer size/none strength and power. Although H Cheung seemed an exception. Shame he didn't do much.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The reality is that the tallest athletes in countries like China get funneled to basketball, badminton, and volleyball, not tennis.
China is interesting in that they literally dictate to their athletes what sports they should be playing. Also, they use negative reenforcement by yelling or hitting athletes for minor imperfections (reverse of American positive reenforcement where everyone is a winner). I would imagine that both these factors would create a lack of motivation/passion for the sport and also lack of self confidence in the pressure situations. Maybe some of this has started to change, but that was the system until pretty recently.

Russians also tend to use negative reenforcement, but at least their athletes get to choose their sports and many of their successful players train outside of Russia and use Western coaches.

·
justice for all
19,953 Posts
Can't comment on this on but body types do play a part.

Like when was the last time a non-black person won a short distance race?
Or a black man won a swimming contest? There is something to it, no doubt. I’m not into pseudoscientific discussions but I’m sure the scientists would quickly provide the proper explanation.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
You’re the only poster who actually stated a scientific fact. Even though it was a minor point, it’s funny how this fact so triggered OP Basegod who, based on his response, has an obvious racial agenda.
If his intention was on the racial agenda, it's a shame. However, I am not denying there are physical differences among races on average. East Asians are shorter and have some physical disadvantages compared to Western people. As an East Asian, I am taller than average women over here (that doesn't mean I am really tall though, around 172cm or 5'8 as a woman), but I could hardly find people around me who are well above my eye-level, including men. lol.

Plus, we actually talk about the physicality of Western people. Physical endurance is not only a critical factor for athletes, but also for normal people. Sometimes we envy them because we feel somehow we are short of physical endurance. (Of course, I mean on average)

The reason I brought this gene up was that first, I am a firm believer in genes, second, it gave me a cultural shock. I have never used deodorant, I thought it was normal. After reading research articles, I realized that East Asians are not normal in that.

Anyway, back to the topic, when it comes to athletes, it's a bit different story. It's because physically superb and talented Asians are likely to be athletes, which reduces the difference. Hence, factors other than race would also come into success.

·
Premium Member
ИДЕМО НОЛЕ
11,328 Posts
Well I am not sure about your theory.

Tennis is a sport where a lot of different body shapes succeed from tall Isner to short Santoro through muscular Nadal or skinny Djokovic.
You have to find and develop gamestyle which fits your body.
We have had tons of short average players such as Grosjean Clément Santoro some from Asian roots like Lu Chung or Chang.
We also had a 185 cm Srichaphan.

IMO problem is more mental.
We have not had a very top champion from Asia and raised in Asia so far (Chang was made in the USA) so young Asian players do not manage to dream big and lack confidence.
When confidence is the ultimate step to win very big.

As soon as we get one then it could open a pandora box as 300 million Chinese people live with European standards and their kids can fill the draws.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts