Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope this thread does not get taken down and I don't get an infraction due to snowflakes thinking it is Politically Incorrect, or it leads to racism or anything you might interpret. It is just a mere observation and theorization which probably makes a lot more sense than not.

Considering how much The likes of Nishikori and Chung have been injured it brought me to certain thoughts.
If we analyze it calmly, we can observe how the most dominant/succesful tennis players in the last 3-4 years (outside of top 3) tend to be of certain body type that is largely absent in East Asian peoples. I mean Medvedev and Zverev both are quite tall with long limbs, and smaller upper body. East asians could rarely be this tall, and even at this tall they would present more neoteny, which does mean larger upper body, shorter limbs, bigger head in proportion to their whole body. To set an example, most tall Eurpopean types would be of the last two in the right, while east asians would remain most probably being the man in the middle (the two extreme left that is reserved only for infants and babies, dwarfs )

Joint Head Chin Shoulder Arm

It is no Myth that certain body-types favor different disciplines, such as way weightlifters have particular body-type or way short/long distance runners differ with weightlifters or even between themselves (stamina vs strenght)

·
Registered
772 Posts
I heard an Olympic commentator say once that (East) Asians are good at skilled sports.

So table tennis for example. Sports that depend more on strength and endurance are typically not their speciality.

Unfortunately most East Asians I see play have a similar style. Perhaps they could have more success trying different styles. Ones that depend more on skill. Like serve volleying, angles and spins.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Nonsense. Manny Pacquiao is the greatest fighter of all time in boxing, he won eight world titles in eight different weight divisions and he made floyd fraudweather duck and dodge him for six years until the head of cbs showtime les moonves finally had to force by ultimatum fraudweather to fight Pacquiao for over a hundred million. Fraudweather and his manager rigged the judges in the fight by boxing scared just to go the distance as they knew the judges were bought. Floyd also ducked the rematch with Pacquiao for another $100 plus million. Nishikori is also a great player. If anything, the Asian males are not mentally tough, fierce, ruthless, obsessed enough to be GS tennis champs, it's not physical. Remember this sport is 90 percent mental.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nonsense. Manny Pacquiao is the greatest fighter of all time in boxing, he won eight world titles in eight different weight divisions and he made floyd fraudweather duck and dodge him for six years until the head of cbs showtime les moonves finally had to force by ultimatum fraudweather to fight Pacquiao for over a hundred million. Fraudweather and his manager rigged the judges in the fight by boxing scared just to go the distance as they knew the judges were bought. Floyd also ducked the rematch with Pacquiao for another $100 plus million. Nishikori is also a great player. If anything, the Asian males are not mentally tough, fierce, ruthless, obsessed enough to be GS tennis champs, it's not physical. Remember this sport is 90 percent mental.
Boxing =/= Tennis
Philippines = South-east Asia =/= East Asia.
We are talking about Tennis specifically here, not all sports. Also South-East asians are not the same as East-Asians.. as South East asians mixed with australoid and african variants back in the time.. while East Asians/North-east Asians did not. For the same reason neoteny is far more prevalent among Koreans, Northern Chinese and Japanese than lets say among Thai or Pinoy peoples.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Boxing and Tennis have nothing in common , c'mon. haha .

Perhaps if tennis would put weight limits , then you could have a point for comparison . Asians and Latin Americans are surpassed physically by the Euros .

Height and physical conditioning never have been more attached/linked in the sport of tennis . You have to be both tall AND athletic just to start talking. Period .

Reactions: Shupak

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I was also thought that Pacquiao was the greatest until he got put to sleep by Marquez.
That was the definition of lucky punch coupled with careless attittude by Pacquiao. He had the fight won and even schooled Marquez.

If you factor that , and how he bounced off from that , you could have an ever bigger case at Manny 's GOATdom.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Nonsense.
Otherwise, we wouldn't have successful players like Schwartzman, Goffin, Nishikori, on WTA Li Na, etc.
Plus, not all East Asians are THAT physically different than people from other parts of the world.

·
Registered
409 Posts
This thread is so full of pseudoscience it’s laughable. Basically Nishikori and Chung (who have completely different body types) get injured frequently so Asian body types are not suited for tennis. That’s like saying Federer and Del Potro both have injury issues so White players must not be suited for tennis. Flawed logic.

·
Registered
22,985 Posts
I love pseudoscientific posts like this- yes, base your argument on Zverev and Medvedev, two of the tallest players ever to be in the top 5, to make a general argument about asians vs europeans. What about other ethnicities? Also, why ignore the past 30 years, which the top ranked guy was usually no taller than 6'2" and more typically between 5'10" and 6'1"? Why weren't there more Asian men at the top of the rankings the last 30 years? You telling me there's not enough guys that height from a region with well over 1.5 billion people?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
They're simply shorter on average. The sweet spot appears to be in the 1.85-1.95m range
That doesn't mean there is no one in the 1.85-95 range.
If it's true, East Asians simply don't play volleyball, right?

I think it's more about systems and techniques. Some nations are particularly good at one sport because they have acquired the techniques in the fierce competition through generations.
Europe and American tennis have been developed in this way. Infrastructure is good, and there are a lot of academies and players.

But I agree there's some disadvantage when it comes to physical shape (especially for height).
If some Asians are as tall as Medvedev or Zverev, they will pick up basketball or volleyball.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
C'mon the bar has been clearly rised in the last 5 years (the 95' born onwards) look at the top 10 now and compare . It's very checkeable . And It's not just about investment . It's about odds at making it big time to make a living out of it. For LA and Asians they are simply LOW , lowest than ever . And for many that's a genetic factor playing a decisive role in deciding tennis as a career. Less players, less chances of having players making it, less competition, THEN finally less investment . Diego is just a freak of nature. The exception much rather than the rule. Remember we are talking about making it BIG , not just top 200. Before players like Gaudio and lots below the 1.80m could achieve somewhat consistency in the top 10-20 . Chang ,Rios , there will never be those , ever again . Count on it .

Tennis has become like basketball . You see the players at the top , immediately tons will get discouraged . It's logics and mathematically proved. Heck Just by looking , no need for stats.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Nonsense.
Otherwise, we wouldn't have successful players like Schwartzman, Goffin, Nishikori, on WTA Li Na, etc.
Plus, not all East Asians are THAT physically different than people from other parts of the world.
They are, anobody who has studied taxonomy/human anthropology knows that, and I am talking about East Asians. Chung is an obvious example.

Nishikori head is as big as ISner but he is much shorter..

Footwear Shorts Shoe Smile Sports equipment

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
They are, anobody who has studied taxonomy/human anthropology knows that, and I am talking about East Asians. Chung is an obvious example.

Nishikori head is as big as ISner but he is much shorter..

View attachment 372507
Lol, everyone have same sized head as Isner but are shorter than him 🤣🤣🤣
Money well spent for the school you attended 😅

·
Golddigger
17,273 Posts
This thread is so full of pseudoscience it’s laughable. Basically Nishikori and Chung (who have completely different body types) get injured frequently so Asian body types are not suited for tennis. That’s like saying Federer and Del Potro both have injury issues so White players must not be suited for tennis. Flawed logic.
Where duck hee lee at?

However i dont agree. OP loves taking about bodies ha

1 - 20 of 62 Posts