Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will enter Top 10 first?

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Considering that stars of the generation before them - Nole, Andy, Rafa, Del Potro - had all been ranked in Top 10 as teenagers, the born-in-the-'90s guys don't have much time to back up their potential with some real results. Who do you think will step up and enter Top 10 first? I'll take the plunge and say Raonic hits #10 by the time clay season's over. :devil:

Kei Nishikori - 22 yrs 2 mos / Top 100 at 18 yrs 4 mos / currently #17
Milos Raonic - 21 yrs 2 mos / Top 100 at 20 yrs 2 mos / currently #24
Grigor Dimitrov - 20 yrs 10 mos / Top 100 at 19 yrs 9 mos / currently #84
Ryan Harrison - 19 yrs 10 mos / Top 100 at 19 yrs 3 mos / currently #65
Bernard Tomic - 19 yrs 4 mos / Top 100 at 18 yrs 8 mos / currently # 37

ps. please feel free to suggest other next gen players. oh and, for those curious, Fed was just short of 21 yrs when he first hit Top 10.

Honestly, Toomic was a mistake (Freudian slip?), but I like it.

Reactions: leng jai

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Re: Which youngster will enter Top 10 first? (Kei/Milos/Grisha/Ryan/Bernie)

Dragon Ball Kei

·
Registered
82 Posts

Raonic.

If Fish can get in the top 10 winning mainly junk US tournaments and a couple of half decent slam runs, then so can he.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Raonic.

·
Registered
612 Posts

Kei or Milos,

I doubt Dimitrov and Harrison will ever be a top 10 in their career..

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts

T-bomb

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Raonic got past the points he was defending and, health permitting, can begin to pile up the points. He missed all of the US summer swing and was adjusting to grass for the first time - there's a lot of points available for him. Top 10 is most likely for him.

The only other player I can see possibly is Nishikori because he's the one actually the closest. I don't see him getting much out of the clay season so it would also be in the summer swing.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Kei and Raonic aren't in the same category as the rest.

They're way past the others, even though Bernard might just be one good tournament away from joining them.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

Kei is now an old man.

·
Registered
874 Posts

Tomic is a bastard but I can't deny that he's talented. I feel like Tomic has better long term prospects than the others but I'm not so excited about any of these players. None of these youngsters have any X-factor that makes the spectator think that they're capable of winning a GS. Then again, what do I know. I wasn't so impressed by Djokovic the first time I saw him play and he went on to prove me wrong. Still, I feel like most of these guys are destined to be second-tier with the exception of Tomic.

·
Registered
14,852 Posts

raonic will enter the top 10 first but harrison will be the best at the end.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts

Kei isn't defending any points really for the next five masters, so he might just do it before the French. Especially if he keeps ending up in Tsonga's quarter.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

you forgot Young lool
this is definitely a poor generation of tennis players. I do only like Nishikori, the rest of them are top50/top30 at most. lets wait for the next generation. any name?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts

Kei will be there first but Bernard has the brightest future. He has made the second week twice in slams and three out of his last four GS losses have come to Nadal,Djokovic, and Federer.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

you forgot Young lool
this is definitely a poor generation of tennis players. I do only like Nishikori, the rest of them are top50/top30 at most. lets wait for the next generation. any name?
you've got a point on young. i do usually forget/ignore/avoid donnie boy accidentally on purpose, but this time i only looked at players born after 1990. included kei cause he missed my admittedly semi-random cut-off by only 2 days. i wish it wasn't true but i don't think young's inclusion would have changed the poll results one bit anyway.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts