Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Historically, the ages for dominance in tennis are between the ages of 24 and 28. Specifically 24, 25, 26, 27, 28.

Looking at the career arcs, there are only two players for Generation Useless left in that career arc, Diego Schwartzman and Dominic Thiem. Schwartzman is 28 and 4 months, and is still ahead of Stan's pace. Stan was ranked in the top 10 at the same time as Schwartzman.

So we can't write off the possibility that Diego Schwartzman might win a bunch of slams.

A more interesting question is what will happen to Thiem.

Given the aging out of Dimitrov and Milos from this window, only Thiem has a real opportunity to reach world number 1 (Schwartzman, though highly ranked, is too far behind to reach).

If he does reach how long will it likely be for?

Even the weaker generations have tended to produce at least one player who dominated a year of tennis, the way that Guga Kuerten did in 2000, when the oldest of his edge was 27. Surprisingly, they did not continue their development, that would be the only year they would control more than half the weeks at number one.

Notwithstanding Andy Murray, who did the same at 29, the question lies for Thiem, what will happen between then and now.

2021, 2022 will be the most important years of Thiem's career. Given the usual trajectory, we will know by the end of 2022, whether Thiem will ever reach number one and whether Generation Useless will claim a year as their own.

Despite all the challenges they have faced,

·
Registered
167 Posts
I reckon that 2020 was Thiem's year?
AO F
UO W
RG QF
WTF F

Given that both Nole and Rafa played at their peak this year, it's impressive to see somebody else be the player of the year imo. It's also become clear that we can age slower these days if we take care of our bodies.

As a Thiem fan, I'm excited for the coming 5 years. If he stays healthy he will be a contender at most tournaments he enters. He has already exceeded many of my expectations and I do not expect Big 3 dominance from him. Thiem's game is beautiful to watch and has so much potential. It's Thiem and a few others that will keep me watching tennis when the older one-handers retire.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Historically, the ages for dominance in tennis are between the ages of 24 and 28. Specifically 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Yes this is true but it's interesting how many times this historical age range for peak play was ignored when discussing Roger Federer himself as it pertained to the Nadal rivalry, especially the 2007 and 2008 Wimbledons and the 2009 AO

As for Thiem, I do expect him to do very well next year and challenge for just about anything if his head and body are in the right place in these troubled times.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a Thiem fan, I'm excited for the coming 5 years. If he stays healthy he will be a contender at most tournaments he enters. He has already exceeded many of my expectations and I do not expect Big 3 dominance from him. Thiem's game is beautiful to watch and has so much potential. It's Thiem and a few others that will keep me watching tennis when the older one-handers retire.
I would agree with you that 2020 was Thiem's year and he should have been YE number 1 if the rankings were accurate. I think it bodes well for the next couple of years.

Reactions: Budadiii

·
Registered
199 Posts
I reckon that 2020 was Thiem's year?
AO F
UO W
RG QF
WTF F

Given that both Nole and Rafa played at their peak this year, it's impressive to see somebody else be the player of the year imo. It's also become clear that we can age slower these days if we take care of our bodies.

Well said. I agree. I love his game. If healthy, he has a good 5+ years to really make a dent. I'm happy with his success this year.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would agree with you that 2020 was Thiem's year and he should have been YE number 1 if the rankings were accurate. I think it bodes well for the next couple of years.
Yeah. Points in 2020:
Djokovic - 6855
Thiem - 4615

And this is with Wimbeldon cancellation and Djokovic DSQ is US Open. But obviously in your Lalaland it's Thiem who should have been YE#1. Now go take your meds or maybe learn some maths.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
A lot of the time Thiem felt like the best player in the world this year, yet his one big title was heavily asterisked and sort of gifted to him by his opponent from 2 sets up. Can't see him getting number 1 unless he dramatically improves in big finals. Losing back to back WTF finals from a set up vs non big 3 opponents is really quite shocking.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And this is with Wimbeldon cancellation and Djokovic DSQ is US Open. But obviously in your Lalaland it's Thiem who should have been YE#1. Now go take your meds or maybe learn some maths.
Thiem was the most consistent performer the whole year. Had they not cancelled the entire clay season we'd be seeing a different result.

Reactions: grig_shap

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Yeah. Points in 2020:
Djokovic - 6855
Thiem - 4615

you do know this guy’s reputation, right?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Review the meaning of the word "accurate", or better replace it with your own fantasy... Djoko with over 2000 pts gap, on clay Thiem usually performs better only slightly (if at all), while Djokovic always performs better on grass.

3 out 4 slams were played this year, Wimbledon (Thiem's worst slam) was cancelled, yet Djokovic earned 2000 pts more than Thiem. You are delusional dawg. :)

I am a Fed fan just like you but wouldn't find excuses of that kind. It's Fed own fault if his records will be beaten :( see my previous thread Crazy to say but Federer could have had at least 28 slam... :(

·
Registered
451 Posts
winning one title with NO big 3 does not make Thiem the player of the year his fans must be in dreamland, because Djokovic would have easy won us open if not for the faking old woman I would say Djokovic beats Thiem straight sets in us open Final. 2020 was Djokovic year with Nadal being second

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
why do people need to oscillate so wildly here? i always defended Thiem when most said he would never breakthrough/was part of the useless generation. now so many are overrating his accomplishments. yes he has improved dramatically and deserves huge credit but he still has plenty to prove. eg horrendous in Cincy, did nothing on clay after the US Open, couldn't finish Medvedev at YEC. he certainly peaked for the hardcourt slams and in many ways the short season benefited him as his usual dips were less pronounced. the slam record is great but you're removing Wimbledon where he's never done anything and isn't all that likely to.

A slam is a slam but until he wins one with a legit draw ie no Djokovic DSQ, Nadal/Federer present, then he ain't in the genuine 1 discussion. seriously that Zverev US Open final still makes me feel ill to think about it. so lacking in quality and intensity - just about who could choke less. so in contrast to how the big 3 (even big 5) have performed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did not expect so much defensiveness here. I for one did not mean to take away anything from Nole and Rafa. Winning yet another AO or RG is impressive but we are also used to that from these legends. I personally find it more impressive when another player enters the conversation by winning his first GS and by holding a positive H2H against the big 2 (yet again). I did not approach this in terms of ranking points. Thiem himself said that it's not about the rankings for him at this stage.

Not everyone will be a GOAT candidate and fans of GOATs should feel a tad more confidence. The discussion about the UO asterix and choking is tiresome imo. I thought it was impressive how Domi handled Medvedev at the UO. We know how Daniil had played against Rafa in the previous final, almost pulling a Thiem. Like Lendl at his first GS win at RG, Domi had to fight his demons and came back to win. For this fan, it was a memorable and well deserved first win. That he reached the WTF final for the 2nd year in a row is also impressive for somebody called a clay courter. Rafa struggled to make consecutive finals and also choked more against Medvedev in the SF than Thiem did in the final.

Again, only because somebody praises Thiem or is positively surprised, doesn't take away from Nole or Rafa. It's also not an attack on anybody when Thiem fans claim that they are excited about the 5 years ahead.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I think the prime is more 26-30 now tbh. I think Thiem’s career progression (slow and steady) is going to be the new normal, but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
winning one title with NO big 3 does not make Thiem the player of the year his fans must be in dreamland, because Djokovic would have easy won us open if not for the faking old woman I would say Djokovic beats Thiem straight sets in us open Final. 2020 was Djokovic year with Nadal being second
Seeing how weak Djokovic looked when pushed in the world tour finals & RG I would rate Thiem's chances in best of 5. H2h between Thiem & Nadal this year 2 - 0, that's all I have to say...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Seeing how weak Djokovic looked when pushed in the world tour finals & RG I would rate Thiem's chances in best of 5. H2h between Thiem & Nadal this year 2 - 0, that's all I have to say...
Yea So Djokovic is 33 years old you know still beat Thiem at AO final, Thiem will not winning majors at Djokovic age. Also Djokovic is a far more skilled player than Thiem

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Review the meaning of the word "accurate", or better replace it with your own fantasy... Djoko with over 2000 pts gap, on clay Thiem usually performs better only slightly (if at all), while Djokovic always performs better on grass.
They both won a slam, they both made a final.

However, Thiem made the finals at the WTF, and was the only one to reach the QFs at all the slams played.

Reactions: florentine and Hugo

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Again, only because somebody praises Thiem or is positively surprised, doesn't take away from Nole or Rafa. It's also not an attack on anybody when Thiem fans claim that they are excited about the 5 years ahead.
I'm not even a Thiem fan. Just speaking straight up truth. Djokovic did not earn world number 1 this year and didn't have the most victories at grand slams. On the biggest stages of the year he was overshadowed by Thiem.

·
King Of Tennis
3,246 Posts
I'm not even a Thiem fan. Just speaking straight up truth. Djokovic did not earn world number 1 this year and didn't have the most victories at grand slams. On the biggest stages of the year he was overshadowed by Thiem.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts