Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
justice for all
18,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which was the worst slam final of each of the BIG3 in terms of level of play.

Roger - I think this is pretty simple: must be RG 2008 where he got hammered by Rafa winning a total of 4 games getting bagel and breadsticked in process.

Rafa - here three matches come to mind: Australian Open 2019 where he was really destroyed by Djokovic or Wimbledon 2011 where he lost in 4 to Djokovic who was a 2 slams holder at the time and Rafa's level in that match was really poor or Australian Open 2014 where he lost injured to Stan who was in his maiden final and never lost to Rafa before. Which do you think was his worst?

Novak - though choice again but I tend to think it was Wimbledon 2013 where he was straight setted by Andy. Some will maybe say USO 2007 but I don't think it's this one - it was Novak's first slam final, he played good but was a bit nervous and had to face a peak Fed. Or maybe USO 2016 when he seemed injured as well and played pretty poor tennis. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Easy.
Roger - RG 2008, but also in USO 15 he wasted soooo many BP against Novak
Rafa - AO 19 by a mile
Novak - Wimbeldon 13, but also RG 14 , Novak just stopped playing after the 1st set

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Novak - though choice again but I tend to think it was Wimbledon 2013 where he was straight setted by Andy. Some will maybe say USO 2008 but I don't think it's this one

US 2007, Novak.

I only indicate the date, I have no clear opinion.

We can always say Wimbledon 2013 ... but if I had to choose one, I would say RG 2015, even if Stan had already given him problems and he had been titled in slam since AO 2014.

No loss is good, anyway ... so choose the worst.

For Fed, we can choose the drought of the score, but I don't see it like that, there was no match at RG 2008. I have already said, in my opinion, US 2009 vs. Del Potro.

For Nadal, I'm not thinking so much of a dry defeat like AO 2019, but of a great opportunity, injury or not, so AO 2014.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Novak: 12 USO, 13 WB
Rafa: 19 AO, or 14 AO due to injury
Fed: 06 AO, 08 RG

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Based on performance/score and not including injuries
Federer: FO 2008, got shit on badly and won only 4 games
Nadal: AO 2019, had no chance at all, just got his ass absolutely kicked in straights
Djokovic: Wimby 2013, losing in straights to someone he normally beats was just flat out embarrassing

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Federer: FO 2008
Nadal: AO 2019\AO 2014(in one he was mentally not there and in the other he was physically not there)
Djokovic: Wimbledon 2013, USO 2016(both were pretty bad, I can't choose just 1 of them)

Their worst level in a GS final they won:
Federer: Not sure, I did not see many highlights of his earlier finals but from what I did, maybe his W09 final or AO18 final.
Nadal: Maybe USO19?
Djokovic: AO20(he was absent for at least a set, and his level overall was not particularly convincing) or W19(he won due to his mental toughness).

Their best GS final they lost:
Federer: He had a few finals he played very well but lost(W2008, AO2009, USO2009, W2019, maybe one or two of the FO finals).
Nadal: AO 2012, peak nadal on HC, in this match he finally figured our djokovic).
Djokovic: USO 2013, a shame FO 2013 was just a semi, the match was insane.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Since the question was about the level of play, here is the answer.

Novak: WB '13, where he was leading in two sets and yet allowed himself to be straight-setted.

Rafa: Actually WB '11 (good suggestion @guitarra ). People talk about AO '19 but in my view Rafa's level of play was worse in WB'11, and the only reason he won a set was due to Novak's own lapse. In AO '19, it was bad but also amplified by Novak's imperious display. Novak smelt Rafa's under-preparation, and straight away shifted to top gear.

Roger: RG '08, but it is again amplified by Rafa's superb performance. Scoreline apart, I don't think that Roger had quite the equivalent of Rafa's WB '11 or Novak's WB '13. He might have lost matches he should have won (AO '09, USO '09, WB 19), but not due to pathetic performances

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
Wimbledon 13 was NOT Djokovic’s worst. He has ZERO businesses beating Murray on grass so a straight set defeat was expected for him.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Wimbledon 13 was NOT Djokovic’s worst. He has ZERO businesses beating Murray on grass so a straight set defeat was expected for him.
Something I have been thinking about. How much of the poor scoreline is down to your own performance and how much is it about the other player?

Has any of the big 3 ever gone to a GS final without taking a single set off the player who he was facing on the surface (ATLEAST 1 MATCH COMPLETED)

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Federer has a tennis IQ close to zero in important moments. But at the FO 2008 it was -100 for the entire match. It was the most pathetic performance in a tennis match I’ve ever seen. Both from a level of play and tactical standpoint. I don’t think he’s yet to recover from this.
AO 2006 was by far the worst slam final he won. Baghdatis should’ve led by 2;0 sets.
Novak was WB 13. Nadal AO 19

·
Registered
991 Posts
Which was the worst slam final of each of the BIG3 in terms of level of play.

Roger - I think this is pretty simple: must be RG 2008 where he got hammered by Rafa winning a total of 4 games getting bagel and breadsticked in process.

Rafa - here three matches come to mind: Australian Open 2019 where he was really destroyed by Djokovic or Wimbledon 2011 where he lost in 4 to Djokovic who was a 1 slam holder at the time and Rafa's level in that match was really poor or Australian Open 2014 where he lost injured to Stan who was in his maiden final and never lost to Rafa before. Which do you think was his worst?

Novak - though choice again but I tend to think it was Wimbledon 2013 where he was straight setted by Andy. Some will maybe say USO 2007 but I don't think it's this one - it was Novak's first slam final, he played good but was a bit nervous and had to face a peak Fed. Or maybe USO 2016 when he seemed injured as well and played pretty poor tennis. What do you think?
Good choice. But before Wimbledon 2011 Djokovic had already won 2 Grand Slams (AO 2008 and AO 2011)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
For Djokovic two losses to Murray were kinda odd but Murray played well to take advantage
Honestly I don’t think Djokovic’s level of play in Wimbledon 19 was that great, he was just mentally very solid, Federer felt like the better player out there for a larger part of the match to me
Fed - RG 2008
Nadal - 2019 AO that I’ve seen at least

·
6,756 Posts
Federer - RG 2008 obviously, but RG 2011 was also poor tactically.
Nadal - AO 19
Nole - USO 13 - despite it seeming competitive, Nole was spraying too many errors for most of the match and low on confidence that year after RG and Wimbledon.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
In terms of level of play?

Fed - RG08. He also sucked in AO18 but luckily for him he was playing a choking Cilic
Rafa - AO19. Couldn't find the court and looked scared to death
Novak - WB13. He was pretty dire at WB19 as well, just played the breakers well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts