Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont recall Federer playing worse to win a title than Istanbul 2015. I dont have one positive thing to say about any of his matches, he was unclutch and his defense was poor, terrible backhand returns allowing opponent to push him around and his forehand erratic. His serve was OK I guess.

There are only 2 titles which come close in my mind: Halle 2013 and Estoril 2008.

In any case I think this one was really, really bad. It does not bode well for Wimbledon, let alone RG and Madrid.

He needs to get that FH working again. That should be priority, but I dont know if he just forever lost the body rotation he once had.

·
Registered
22,446 Posts
US Open 2005, Australian Open 2006 and Roland Garros 2009 come to mind as well.

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
Federer is an incredibly lucky player. Nobody won the match by playing worse than the opponent more often than Federer.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
:spit: Fed 3 titles this year Brisbane Dubai Istanbul :superlol:

·
Registered
21,283 Posts

·
Registered
14,852 Posts
Istanbul. He played just awful, somehow won it. (weak draw helped so much, obviously)

·
Premium Member
62,012 Posts
Federer is an incredibly lucky player. Nobody won the match by playing worse than the opponent more often than Federer.
It's actually the other way around. Federer has won very few matches where he won less points than his opponent, but lost a lot where he won more. So if you call it luck, he has very little of it. That's why most of his detractors call it clutchness instead.

As for topic, I think this one might be it.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Is there something wrong with winning titles?
Especially one in which he beat Nole. Sure, he can't match Nole in big titles. But at least he is trying to win whatever is left, and that's not too bad. We will see how these other members of top 4 fare when they reach 34

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Yeah, his ground game is pretty bad atm. Couldn't unleash on a FH and if he tried it usually went long. Serves and volleys pretty much keep him in.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
People don't seem to realize Fed is not getting younger. With the style of play he has, a bit of regression in movement, leads to a huge drop in level of play. Look, Fed is not going to win titles forever. And it will probably get ugly before he retires since he wants to play till he is 40. But so what. He is still fun to watch even if he does not win slams or masters

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
It's actually the other way around. Federer has won very few matches where he won less points than his opponent, but lost a lot where he won more. So if you call it luck, he has very little of it. That's why most of his detractors call it clutchness instead.

As for topic, I think this one might be it.
No. Federer has built his career on luck. Firstly, it is incredibly lucky to play in Major finals with Roddick, Hewitt, Baghdatis and other Gonzalez. These players are not even in the TOP15 best. Let's remember, he won the career Slam. Federer filch match against Haas at RG-2009 with 0-2 in sets and break in the third. Wimbledon 2009: Incredible luck on the second set tiebreak with 2-6 and childish mistakes by Roddick on setpoints. Roger breaks Roddick only once per match. Go on. Wimbledon-2012. Benneteau was in two points to win, then Wimbledon, which always was outdoor turned into indor which greatly helped Federer. If we talk about the last time we recall Shanghai and especially point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsxlkGMznEU then Roger has won the tournament. Let's see what stupied mistake made Wawrinka in WTF http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uFrD3Ne-Rc#t=27s And you will say to me that Federer is not lucky?
:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: Federer is the luckiest tennis player ever.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts