Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supposedly played by the British after Yorktown. I actually just googled it to make sure I had the right battle--I did--but found a quite interesting article on why it's not in fact known what they played, which investigates the evidence for various possibilities.

At any rate, let me see if I have this straight. Robredo, Ljubicic, Ferrer, Gaudio, Coria, and Ferrero are all out in the first round, and Rusedski, having taken out Robredo, Ginepri, and Roddick are all still in. Roddick, Mister 'I'm nothing without my serve', won 6-1 6-0 serving at 36%.

ON CLAY.

Unsurprising: Federer and Nadal won, Murray ran out of gas after an hour, and Blake lost. It's very hard for Safin to surprise anyone with his results anymore, so we'll include him here. Don't know where to put Haas, just in the disappointing category I suppose.

I'm also not surprised by the Nadal-Moya scoreline, not after Miami. Their head-to-head was 2-2 before today, and this suggests Nadal has some problems. I've never seen Moya play and I'm far too new to tennis to be an expert on matters technical, so I don't know whether this is a match-up problem or a mental one. It may be the latter: they are awfully close, and Roddick has said he can set aside personal feelings when playing anyone on tour, except Fish. Their respective relationships seem to be similar, let me say, in intensity though not in nature: peers vs. mentor/student. Or as the Greeks put it, hetairoi vs. erastes/eromenos. All of which is not to say that Moya didn't play very well in the second set, just that Rafa doesn't usually let anyone play very well in the second set. Speaking of second sets, it was a bit odd that the only set Federer won in his last match with Nadal was the second, which is usually the only one he drops if he's going to drop one.

But I digress. Robredo, Ljubicic, Ferrer, Gaudio, Coria, and Ferrero are all out in the first round, and Rusedski, having defeated Robredo, Ginepri, and Roddick are all still in. Roddick, Mister 'I'm nothing without my serve', won 6-1 6-0 serving at 36%.

ON CLAY.

It was worth repeating. Oh, yeah, and Mathieu didn't choke. But as someone suggested, he wasn't under a lot of pressure to choke, with his huge margin for error.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts