Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's take it guy by guy and we still don't know for sure who #6-#8 will be yet.

Going backwards...

Guys like Roddick, Dolgopolov, Mugfils, Del Potro, Sodie, Simon, Tipsarevic, and Almagro just either aren't good enough or healthy enough to pull off a WTF title with the big guns there.

#8 Tsonga: A darn fine player, can beat guys like Rafa and Rogie and hang in there with Djokovic and Mugray, but not good enough to beat all of them to win the WTF.

#7 Fish: He's having his best year ever at an old age, but he's not good enough to knock off all of these top guys and won't win the WTF.

#6 Berdych: He did make the 2010 Wimbledon F, but he's not good enough to beat all of the top guys and has no shot to even make the SF, let alone win the WTF.

#5 Ferrer: He did make the finals here in 2006 and lost easily to Rogie. He has a couple of things working against him. The first is being able to hang with the top 4 and the second is with the Davis Cup finals coming the next weekend, he'll want to focus more on that. Therefore, I see a 0% chance of him winning the WTF.

#4 Rogie: He's definitely had a very subpar 2011, so far winning just Doha over Davy in January and only one GS F (lost the FO F to Rafa, therefore no GSs in 2011). However, Rogie OWNS the WTF, 34-7 record, 5 titles (tied with Lendl and Sampras for most WTF titles) and can beat all of the big names still on any given day. Yes he's struggled against Djokovic and Rafa in 2011 (yet to face Mugray so far), but he proved in 2010 that the old man can still beat all of the big guns. Rogie is the favorite to win the WTF, he lives for the fall indoor hardcourt events on fast surfaces. He has a really great chance of winning WTF #6, or at worst being a runner up for the second time (Nalbandian in 2005 was his first runner up) and 7 WTF finals isn't to shabby in my book.

#3 Mugray: I'd consider him the 2nd co-favorite along with Djokovic of winning the title. Lately he's been hot, 25-1 in his last 5 events (won Cincinnati, USO SF, won Bangkok, won Tokyo, and won Shanghai again). What also benefits him is wins over Djokovic and Rafa this year and that this event is a best 2 of 3 sets and not best 3 of 5 sets. He has a good chance of winning his first WTF.

#2 Rafa: He's really been struggling since the USO F and doesn't usually win events this time of the year on indoor hardcourts. He's the 3rd favorite to win this event behind Rogie and Djokovic/Mugray. Like Ferrer, his big focus will be on the Davis Cup finals the next weekend, so I think he doesn't get past the SF. I say he has a very small chance of winning his first WTF.

#1 Djokovic: The dude has had a monster year, a lot like Rogie's 2006 and 2007 (especially 2006). He has won virtually everything in sight this year. I consider him the second co-favorite to win along with Mugray. One of them will face Rogie in the F and the other loses in the SF like Rafa will. Therefore, his changes of winning his 2nd WTF are fairly good.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
I'm not sure Rafa will be suitably prepared for WTF--he's not playing Basel or Valencia and doesn't he usually skip Paris? Almost everyone else is playing either Basel or Valencia and will probably play Paris as well, but Rafa's never really liked Bercy.

I think this is Novak's to lose. Obviously Murray can spoil the party, and Roger might be out for some revenge after mugging up USO, since Novak might still be rusty from his injury.

I would be surprised if Ferrer and Berdych made it to the QFs, but I think either Jo or Mardy can spoil the top 4 party.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if Olderer clinched the title again - his serve and forehand are enhanced to ridiculous heights on this surface :shrug:

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Definitely not Rafa.

Olderer has his chance, since he always loves to "make a statement" before the 2012 season. It would look awful if Murray won because then his fanboys would say that he's equal to the top to Federer, Nadal, Djokovic.

It will definitely be either Federer or Djokovic.

I'm going to pick Djokovic to send a message for 2012. It would be ideal for him to put a cherry on this cake of a season.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Definitely not Rafa.

Olderer has his chance, since he always loves to "make a statement" before the 2012 season. It would look awful if Murray won because then his fanboys would say that he's equal to the top to Federer, Nadal, Djokovic.

It will definitely be either Federer or Djokovic.

I'm going to pick Djokovic to send a message for 2012. It would be ideal for him to put a cherry on this cake of a season.
Agreed, Nadal has zero chance with his garbage serve :sad:

·
Banned
66 Posts
Yungos said Jo Wilfred Tsonga will win. Yungos believes that Tsonga is the best player in the world at the moment. Yungos said Tsonga can beat all players participating in the world tour finals.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Yungos has spoken. I believe this thread has been answered. Carry on, nothing to see here.

·
Banned
66 Posts
I have to go with Rogie here.

Rogie's 34-7 in the WTF, with 5 titles and 6 finals overall.

Rogie OWNS the WTF.
Yungos just said you are wrong. Yungos illustrates that Tsonga has beaten Roger Federer on a number of occasions. Yungos has just said Tsonga is the form player of the 2nd half of the 2011 season.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Yungos has spoken. I believe this thread has been answered. Carry on, nothing to see here.
Attention-seeking double account taking the piss. Pay him no mind, and he is apt to disappear as precipitously as he has arrived.

Hoping Djokovic? I don't know how serious his injury was post-USO. Injuries always put obnoxious question marks around things.

If he feels good, I agree that it's his to lose. Let's see how he looks at Basel. I think if he's well enough to snatch Basel, he'll grab the WTF as well. Roger sure as hell had Novak on the ropes at the USO, though, and it would not be that shocking if he managed to put Djokovic in that position again.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Don't intimidate Yungos. Yungos said Djokovic cannot win because he is recovering from an injury. Yungos said you cannot beat four of the top 8 players in the world when you are recovering from injury.

Yungos agrees that Federer has a chance. Although Yungos feels that time has caught up with Federer. Yungos has made his pick. Yungos has chosen Tsonga for reasons that he has already stated.

·
Premium Member
21,323 Posts
I'd say Murray or Fed... though not sure what form Fed is in, he didn't play for a while, and Murray is on a roll. Don't care whether Nole loses all matches, he can play for the fun of it :cool:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I'd say Murray or Fed... though not sure what form Fed is in, he didn't play for a while, and Murray is on a roll. Don't care whether Nole loses all matches, he can play for the fun of it :cool:
On account of Novak's injury recovery, or some other factor?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
#2 Rafa: He's really been struggling since the USO F and doesn't usually win events this time of the year on indoor hardcourts. He's the 3rd favorite to win this event behind Rogie and Djokovic/Mugray. Like Ferrer, his big focus will be on the Davis Cup finals the next weekend, so I think he doesn't get past the SF. I say he has a very small chance of winning his first WTF.
I certainly hope not. He already won the Davis Cup a few times. Winning another one wouldn't mean that much for him, while winning the WTF would be great.
This is why I think he's going to focus on winning the WTF and if he beats Djokovic along the way, then it would be a great way to end the season. :)
From the latest photo that he put on facebook you can tell he's working hard. I believe he can do it.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Obviously Fed has best record here- he has the best record in most tournaments and has won anything since the very beginning of the year. Nadal looked in better form last year when he won Tokyo, and couldn't pull it out then. Djokovic was on fire, but we'll need to see if the injury and/or rustyness from not playing might hamper him in the indoor season. If Murray can keep his for in to Paris and Valencia/Basel, I'll put my money on him.
Basically, too early until we see how Paris goes down.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts