Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If I am ranked in the top 150, this is a huge chance. Anyone in the top 150 can jump into the top 30 by winning Cincy which seems to be depleted.
Djokovic, Nadal, Thiem, Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas are all playing Cincinnati so I'm not sure how a Top 150 player can "win it and jump".

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
If top players like Rafa and Djokovic (and also Thiem, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Zverev, Berrettini, etc) show up for the two US events, my respect for them grows many folds. From the reduction in prize money, you can tell, tennis, as an industry is negatively affected due to the virus. You can't pay players more than what you make. It is time for the top players of the sport to man up, take up the responsibility, and rebuild the sport. More top players at the events means more business and more money.

Are the top players taking up the responsibilty to rebuild the sport or chickening out? Virus, blah, blah, blah.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Interesting, I think it is good to reduce the budget of the tournament as they won't get any ticketing. The major difference is for the top 8 of the tournament, and for the players who use to lose in the first rounds, it is about the same, so it is a good distribution.
The early rounds' prize money seems to be more than last year's. It's not much, but maybe it is for the journeymen players.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Shocked and happy at the same time! I guess the tournament prize money got "corona'd" .... Huge drop for late rounds. Winner takes home but a quarter of last year's winner. Having said that, I don't understand why this distribution isn't the normal and usual distribution. 50-1 is bonkers. Caters too much to the non-tennis fans that can only follow the very top 2 or 3 players that are making loads of money.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts