Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What with this scheduling mess the bottom half will be disadvantaged big time. Playing BO5 for consecutive days is a big no no for anyone wanting to win a slam.

Either Djokovic or Murray will win Wimbledon this year.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Or Dimitrov.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it's Murray? Cause we know Faker won't win a slam.
Not so sure since Dimitrov can upset Murray but won't beat Djokovic. Dimitrov is still too green to beat Murray and Djokovic back to back at a slam. But beating Murray could happen... That would make Djokovic the winner. But Murray could reach the final as well. BUT the problem is Murray has not beaten a top 10 player this year. My gut feeling says Djokovic for the title. Murray has not won a title in a year. Has not reached a final this year.

·
Your visions will happen
47,129 Posts
We need a betting market for Roy Emerson predictions.

Not so sure since Dimitrov can upset Murray but won't beat Djokovic. Dimitrov is still too green to beat Murray and Djokovic back to back at a slam. But beating Murray could happen... That would make Djokovic the winner. But Murray could reach the final as well. BUT the problem is Murray has not beaten a top 10 player this year. My gut feeling says Djokovic for the title. Murray has not won a title in a year. Has not reached a final this year.
What a shock, you are picking Djokovic for the title :lol:

All I can say is we gonna see. I agree on Grigor too green this time, and I have Murray in the final from the top. The bottom, well I don't know yet what's going.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
What with this scheduling mess the bottom half will be disadvantaged big time. Playing BO5 for consecutive days is a big no no for anyone wanting to win a slam.

Either Djokovic or Murray will win Wimbledon this year.
I agree. The winner will come from the inviteable semi-final between Murray or Djokovic. That semi final is in my view the final. Just like at the French Open last year, when Rafa or Novak were set to face Daveed in the final and it was a foregone conclusion once whoever won. Murray is a player transformed, he still has his defensive and counter-punching skills, but now is also able and most crucially, willing, to play on the front-foot on a tennis court. He dictates play as well as counter-punches. To have those two attributes /strengths to your game combined, with the added plus addition of all the slice, dice and mixed bag of variety stuff of tricks.... it really is he and him who imo becomes the man to beat on this surface. Bloke's got far too much confidence and game on a grass-court than compared to previous years when he was facing off against Rafa at the All England Club.

As for Djokovi, well it's abudentantly clear for anyone that understands tennis from a technical matchup stand-point that he matches up incredible well with Nadal on any court other than clay. You would have to imagine it would require a Djokovic US Open style mental-melt-down / break-down to see him lose to Rafa on a low bounce skidding grass-court.

Federer is Federer and if he is at his peak, will obliterate anybody on a grass-court, bearing may be the old Pete Sampras. So he will always be a threat, but we cannot ignore the old dull-full history concerning the way he matches up with 5 meter badminton net-clearance Nadal, who's entire game is to break down the backhand with his forehand. It's just too annoying for him to overcome, even on grass. It would require him to be at his absolute very 2004-2007 best, regardless of the tennis court they play it on.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We need a betting market for Roy Emerson predictions.

What a shock, you are picking Djokovic for the title :lol:

All I can say is we gonna see. I agree on Grigor too green this time, and I have Murray in the final from the top. The bottom, well I don't know yet what's going.
Murray is still an enigma this year. No finals, no wins against top 10 players. Has not been tested because of a cake draw. Djokovic has won titles this year as well as beaten top 10 players and is the most consistent player when it comes to reaching slam finals these days. It's a no brainer now that the bottom half has been screwed by the Wimbledon organizers.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I don't know who's going to win, but this scheduling certainly makes it more of a shoe-in for someone from the top half of the draw. It's going to make it pretty tough for certain players from the bottom half, that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Definitely not happening for grigor and Novak. From the top half only Murray is on form, he is very serious on this tourney waiting for it whole year.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Almost certainly true. The scheduling fiasco seems like an intentional ploy to boost Murray's chances.

I don't keep up with the betting odds but I bet they changed significantly.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Definitely not happening for grigor and Novak. From the top half only Murray is on form, he is very serious on this tourney waiting for it whole year.
Murray has not been tested this year at Wimbledon. His draw has been pure cake so far. I agree Dimitrov won't win but Djokovic has great chances this year. He has been tested so far by Stepanek and now comes Tsonga. Another test. Murray might be upset by Dimitrov at this rate. Playing a cake draw until the QF could be dangerous.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
I think the fact that half of that year was spent recovering from surgery and the other half was spent returning to top form which he has seemingly found now has something to do with all that.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Roy, the fact Murray has not won a title in a year is completely insignificant and superficial. So much so that you cannot count this as your contributing factor in an actual prediction/decision.

This guy lost a heart-breaking final in 2012 to Federer at Wimbledon, after having 2 break-points in a second set to go a set and a break-up. The rain came-down, the roof went over and Federer obliterated his batty. The very following month, Andy Murray came back and won the Olympic Gold medal by battering Djokovic and Federer back to back without dropping a single set and serving up a storm in the ace department.

My point is you're underestimating this guy's character and I don't think the adversity he faces of not having won a title for over a year is really a barrier to him, infact I'm not even sure he's that conscious of it tbh. These players; federer, nadal, djokovic and now even murray have achieved and won so much in the game that going through a dry spell in not winning titles, is not really going to alter their belief/confidence system. They all believe that they can win Wimbledon.

Judging by your username you've watched tennis for many decades and really should know this. A champion is a champion; once they've accomplished it, they will always have the belief and confidence they can do it again. Never ever rule them out on the purpose of belief or confidence. Infact, Murray has less pressure on him to prevail this year, he is going to be loose and free of inhibitions. Conversely Djokovic is the one going to be feeling the pressure. If anything you should be focusing on the 'pressure' side of matters, as that's more relevant here mate. Every one of them has the belief and confidence they can win. It's pressure you'll find most of the top guys struggle with, as revealed by themselves.

Djokovic hasn't won a grandslam since last year's Australian Open? I could spin that argument on you that he may be equally lacking in belief and confidence right at this minute?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Murray has not been tested this year at Wimbledon. His draw has been pure cake so far. I agree Dimitrov won't win but Djokovic has great chances this year. He has been tested so far by Stepanek and now comes Tsonga. Murray might be upset by Dimitrov at this rate.
Djoker's movement dosen't look good at all. He may be out soon next round.

Murray only specialize this tournament in whole of 2014. The rest of the year will be no factor. He should be winning straight sets all the way before the final.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Roy, the fact Murray has not won a title in a year is completely insignificant and superficial. So much so that you cannot count it as a contributing factor.

This guy lost a heart-breaking final in 2012 to Federer at Wimbledon, after having 2 break-points in the second set to take himself a set and a break-up. The rain came-down, the roof went over and Federer obliterates his batty. The very following month, Andy Murray came back and beat Djokovic and Federer back to back without dropping a single set and seved a ridiculous amount of aces.

My point is you're underestimating this guy's character and I don't think the adversity he faces of not having won a title for over a year will prove much to him. These players; federer, nadal and djokovic and even murray now have achieved and won so much in the game that going through a dry spell in not winning titles, is not really going to alter their belief/confidence that they can win Wimbledon. (A grandslam)

Djokovic hasn't won a grandslam since last year's Australian Open? I could spin that argument on you that he may be equally lacking in belief and confidence right at this minute?
Murray has not beaten a top 10 player this year. Not good.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Murray has not beaten a top 10 player this year. Not good.
It's not about results though mate. It's about performances. This is what I tell everyone, when you make predictions stop basing everything on the results you see players get, more consider the actual performances they put in.

Murray's worst surface is clay and look what he managed there?

This would have felt like a victory to him, considering Nadal's class on clay and Rafa DID play well that match.

Before Soderling beat Nadal he hadn't beaten a top 10 players in his life. Before Stakovsky beat Federer he hadn't beaten a top 10 player in his life. Before Oliver Rochus beat Novak Djokovic, he had never beaten a top 10 player in his life. I could go on and on and on and on. Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't ever happen.

Murray was recovering from back surgeory, severe back surgeory, like I mean he really properly went under the knife. So ofcourse he was going to take time to compete with the top 10 guys.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts