Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "Where will the Mosquito Buzz off to in 2008?" Schedule Discussion Thread

Next year will be interesting. The ATP have released a very different schedule for 2008 because of the Olympics so JC might make some unusual decisions. I believe only the top 4 players from each country are allowed to enter the Olympics so under present circumstances he won't be able to play. (In fact he's the highest ranked player that won't qualify :().

Also there's the Davis Cup in Peru in February and I think there's a chance that he'll play since it would fit perfectly into his South American schedule. On the other hand, he might choose to go back to playing the European indoor events in February since he doesn't seem to mind the faster surfaces these days. Also with Nadal choosing to play in South America next year, he probably doesn't fancy his chances of winning those clay events anymore.

Then after IW and Miami it gets very busy. He'll almost certainly want to play Valencia and Barcelona which (added to the TMS events) means he'll be playing for 5 weeks in a row non-stop. Then I suspect he'll want a couple weeks rest so he might not bother playing Rosmalen and go straight to Wimby.

After Wimbledon it gets really interesting. He has the option of Gstaad/Bastad/Stuttgart followed by Kitzbuhel/Umag immediately followed by the American TMS. A lot will depend on how well he does at Wimby but I expect he'll choose to only play the first week and then head for America.

After that though his options aren't great. If he doesn't qualify for the Olympics he'll probably have to play those American tournaments in LA and Washington for the first time. If not he'll choose to go back home for a few weeks and just practise at his academy instead. But obviously I hope he does qualify. He should be able to overtake Moya but he's also got Verdasco and Almagro breathing down his neck and they could easily overtake him before the entry deadline.

In any case I just hope JC stays healthy and continues to enjoy himself on tour. That's the most important thing and hopefully we'll still see much more of him over the next few years. :)

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Re: The "Where will the Mosquito Buzz off to in 2008?" Schedule Discussion Thread

I think you've got it just about right Jimnik. Though to be honest, I'm more concerned right now about where he buzzes off to before the Aus Open starts.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: The "Where will the Mosquito Buzz off to in 2008?" Schedule Discussion Thread

I think you've got it just about right Jimnik. Though to be honest, I'm more concerned right now about where he buzzes off to before the Aus Open starts.
Like you said in the other thread, probably Auckland. Although they screwed him over in 2006 so you never know.

He's played Sydney three times and Auckland three times so (if you look at it like that) maybe it's 50-50. ;)

·
Registered
4,514 Posts

If not he'll choose to go back home for a few weeks and just practise at his academy instead.
I think that is the most likely in that situation don't you all;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
8,522 Posts

Good thread, Jimnik! :yeah:

Next year will be interesting. The ATP have released a very different schedule for 2008 because of the Olympics so JC might make some unusual decisions. I believe only the top 4 players from each country are allowed to enter the Olympics so under present circumstances he won't be able to play. (In fact he's the highest ranked player that won't qualify :().
I posted this somewhere (but can't find it) but to be eligible for the Olympics, you have to have played for DC at least twice between 2005 and 2008 and, IIRC, one of the ties needs to be in 2007/8. This is because the ITF allocates the Olympic slots to the tennis federation of each country, and they also are the ones that organise the DC.
Since JC has played only one DC tie during this period, he needs to play the February or April tie in order to be eligible, in addition to overtaking Moya as well as fending off Almagro and Feli in the ranking.

Also there's the Davis Cup in Peru in February and I think there's a chance that he'll play since it would fit perfectly into his South American schedule. On the other hand, he might choose to go back to playing the European indoor events in February since he doesn't seem to mind the faster surfaces these days. Also with Nadal choosing to play in South America next year, he probably doesn't fancy his chances of winning those clay events anymore.
Rafa has changed his schedule and will play Rotterdam.
So I think there's a good chance JC will play the Peru tie, depending on his results at AO. Horna on his home soil will be extremely tough but Spain is the favourite I think.

Then after IW and Miami it gets very busy. He'll almost certainly want to play Valencia and Barcelona which (added to the TMS events) means he'll be playing for 5 weeks in a row non-stop. Then I suspect he'll want a couple weeks rest so he might not bother playing Rosmalen and go straight to Wimby.
5 weeks in a row is a bit tough... in fact, the schedule is tough for all the Spaniards if they want to collect as many points as possible during the clay season. Imagine when the Madrid masters moves to April in 2009!:mad:

After Wimbledon it gets really interesting. He has the option of Gstaad/Bastad/Stuttgart followed by Kitzbuhel/Umag immediately followed by the American TMS. A lot will depend on how well he does at Wimby but I expect he'll choose to only play the first week and then head for America.
Because of the Olympics, four events each will take place in the two weeks following Wimbledon, so Gstaad/Bastad/Stuttgart and Kitzbuhel/Umag will all have a 28-men draw. A bit ridiculous but we'll see how it pans out.

After that though his options aren't great. If he doesn't qualify for the Olympics he'll probably have to play those American tournaments in LA and Washington for the first time. If not he'll choose to go back home for a few weeks and just practise at his academy instead. But obviously I hope he does qualify. He should be able to overtake Moya but he's also got Verdasco and Almagro breathing down his neck and they could easily overtake him before the entry deadline.

In any case I just hope JC stays healthy and continues to enjoy himself on tour. That's the most important thing and hopefully we'll still see much more of him over the next few years. :)
That's the most important thing!:worship:
And hope he can win a bloody title!! :rocker2:

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I think that is the most likely in that situation don't you all;) ;) ;)
Regrettably yes. He is kind of a lazy bastard as your other thread illustrated. :p ;)

But I still hope that he gets into the Olympics.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Good thread, Jimnik! :yeah:

I posted this somewhere (but can't find it) but to be eligible for the Olympics, you have to have played for DC at least twice between 2005 and 2008 and, IIRC, one of the ties needs to be in 2007/8. This is because the ITF allocates the Olympic slots to the tennis federation of each country, and they also are the ones that organise the DC.
Since JC has played only one DC tie during this period, he needs to play the February or April tie in order to be eligible, in addition to overtaking Moya as well as fending off Almagro and Feli in the ranking.
Thanks for the clarification. :yeah:
I think Almagro has never played a DC tie so maybe he won't be eligible either. But it would be good if the team consisted of him, JC and Moya since they are the Spaniards who usually play in South America.

Rafa has changed his schedule and will play Rotterdam.
So I think there's a good chance JC will play the Peru tie, depending on his results at AO. Horna on his home soil will be extremely tough but Spain is the favourite I think.
Excellent, I definitely hope he does play South America now. Off course there's still the matter of being picked for the team. Nadal, Ferrer and Robredo would still be able to fit Peru into their schedules so JC might still be left out. :(
I think Spain should win whoever they put out. Even Horna, who's had a relatively bad year, shouldn't be a problem. JC's record in Davis Cup is much better than Ferrer and Robredo so it would be very annoying if he's bumped down.

5 weeks in a row is a bit tough... in fact, the schedule is tough for all the Spaniards if they want to collect as many points as possible during the clay season. Imagine when the Madrid masters moves to April in 2009!:mad:

Because of the Olympics, four events each will take place in the two weeks following Wimbledon, so Gstaad/Bastad/Stuttgart and Kitzbuhel/Umag will all have a 28-men draw. A bit ridiculous but we'll see how it pans out.

That's the most important thing!:worship:
And hope he can win a bloody title!! :rocker2:
Agreed, we'll see what happens. Hopefully JC makes the right decisions (ie the decisions I want him to make :p ).

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This is roughly what I'm hoping for:

Auckland
AUSTRALIAN OPEN
Davis Cup vs Peru
Costa do Sauipe
Buenos Aires
Acapulco
Indian Wells
Miami
Davis Cup vs Germany (hopefully ;))
Valencia
Monte-Carlo
Barcelona
Rome
Hamburg
ROLAND GARROS
WIMBLEDON
Stuttgart
Canada
Cincinatti
Olympics
US OPEN

etc...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

Nice thread Jimnik

I was thinking that in the Olympics Games my 2 fave players (Lena D and JCF) could not to play eventually and both having the highest ranking in both circuits. This sucks

As for the rest of the season , this stupid tournament in Chile is played in the worst week of the year , so I doubt in JC playing here , unfortunately .

·
Registered
10,752 Posts

I'm torn whether I want him to play Auckland or Sydney. He's got a better chance of doing well at Auckland, but if he plays Sydney he'll be on my TV screen (and might get to Melbourne earlier). I'll be interested to see his schedule.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts

I think Almagro has never played a DC tie so maybe he won't be eligible either.
Moya also hasn't played since the beginning of 2005. He will need to play both February and April tie just to be eligible.

But it would be good if the team consisted of him, JC and Moya since they are the Spaniards who usually play in South America.
Agreed!

Excellent, I definitely hope he does play South America now. Off course there's still the matter of being picked for the team. Nadal, Ferrer and Robredo would still be able to fit Peru into their schedules so JC might still be left out. :(
I think Spain should win whoever they put out. Even Horna, who's had a relatively bad year, shouldn't be a problem. JC's record in Davis Cup is much better than Ferrer and Robredo so it would be very annoying if he's bumped down.
Even if Rafa opts not to play, Feli will be definitely in to play doubles I think. Ferrer and Robredo also are the obvious choices so it comes down to who will be the fourth guy.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts

I'm torn whether I want him to play Auckland or Sydney. He's got a better chance of doing well at Auckland, but if he plays Sydney he'll be on my TV screen (and might get to Melbourne earlier). I'll be interested to see his schedule.
In that case I want him to play Sydney.
And you can tell us how he's played! :yeah:

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Nice thread Jimnik

I was thinking that in the Olympics Games my 2 fave players (Lena D and JCF) could not to play eventually and both having the highest ranking in both circuits. This sucks

As for the rest of the season , this stupid tournament in Chile is played in the worst week of the year , so I doubt in JC playing here , unfortunately .
Indeed, it's always tough being the week after a slam but next year it could be more interesting since it's the only tournament taking place that week. And it's just before the Davis Cup ties in Peru and Argentina so it might see a slightly stronger field next year.

If it's any consolation there's usually an online stream for the Auckland tournament. Last year they charged $10 for it I think.

I agree the Auckland tournament is easier but actually his record in Sydney is slightly better (he made the final in 2003). There might still be hope. ;)

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Moya also hasn't played since the beginning of 2005. He will need to play both February and April tie just to be eligible.

Agreed!

Even if Rafa opts not to play, Feli will be definitely in to play doubles I think. Ferrer and Robredo also are the obvious choices so it comes down to who will be the fourth guy.
I'm not sure but I actually think Rafa is more likely to play than Ferrer and Robredo. They'll most likely be playing the hard court events in early February whereas Rafa has a week off before Rotterdam. But we'll see.

Anyway, pretty much all the Spanish players are very friendly to eachother. If JC wants to play I'm sure they'd let him. :)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Um they show most tournaments online for free Jimnik in Sopcast, Tvants etc etc. i watched Bratislava and Lyon when i could from Time differences..

so i dont really mind where he plays :lick:

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Um they show most tournaments online for free Jimnik in Sopcast, Tvants etc etc. i watched Bratislava and Lyon when i could from Time differences..

so i dont really mind where he plays :lick:
But I think the quality of some of those streams isn't great.

For me I can watch Auckland for free on Betfair's Live Video (yes I'm an addicted gambler :p) and the quality is perfect. I was just thinking from JL's point of view.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

No the Quality isnt that bad,, Theres so many diferent forms that there so many to choose from.. :drool:

So who else is going to Aus Open becides me, we can watch Juan together :cool:

·
Registered
10,752 Posts

No the Quality isnt that bad,, Theres so many diferent forms that there so many to choose from.. :drool:

So who else is going to Aus Open becides me, we can watch Juan together :cool:
:D I"M GOING!!!:D but you already knew that

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Obviously.. :) Well Where not 100% sure now. We might be going to Sunshine coast :cool: But i dont really mind.. Would of loved to see Anabel :(

·
Registered
10,752 Posts

Obviously.. :) Well Where not 100% sure now. We might be going to Sunshine coast :cool: But i dont really mind.. Would of loved to see Anabel :(
Oh that sucks. I thought you already bought your tickets:( Ah well you're still young. Plenty of time, and it's not as if you haven't been before.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts