Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few next genners finally making their move. What do you see going forward for them?

1. Rublev
2. FAA
3. Shapovalov
4. DeMinaur
5. Tsitsipas

·
Registered
16,148 Posts
Rublev - will continue to make QF‘s with extreme baseline consistency and power game, but be held out by just better, more varied players
FAA - When he puts it all together, he will win slams. A matter of time. It took Thiem a while until this, also.
Shapovalov - could make the quarters, could also lose R3. More hot and cold in that his technical is a little inferior, which creates more match-ups in which he has to take bigger shotmaking risks than others. His improved return, BH and patience should have him on a good stream if making at least R4‘s though. Not sure he has a SF in him.
DeMinaur - incredibly admirable worker and improved FH which can attack, but forever locked at QF as max stage unless draw opens up, will probably be a consistent 4R player like RBA was for years.
Tsitsipas - needs to avoid big servers and strong 2H BH‘s, best outside of those with Nadal and Thiem together. Could theoretically beat the heavy 2H‘ers, but will have it tough. Can win slams, should look towards making QF‘s as somewhat of a minimum stage.

But talent is loading up at the top, nothing is given, guaranteed.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Good thread. Going forward
1. Rublev : More defence , add variety and surprise perhaps buy a slice on amazon . He'll be fine

4. DeMinaur : Really tough , to add/refine weaponry (serve, BH, FH and volley) at this point just to get to the toppest of level . For the rest: Attitude, Warrior , tactical variety, quickness and intellicence , are there to compensate. He'll be fine to keep getting the most out of him

·
Registered
16,148 Posts
Good thread. Going forward
1. Rublev : More defence , add variety and surprise perhaps buy a slice on amazon . He'll be fine

4. DeMinaur : Really tough , to add/refine weaponry (serve, BH, FH and volley) at this point just to get to the toppest of level . For the rest: Attitude, Warrior , tactical variety, quickness and intellicence , are there to compensate. He'll be fine to keep getting the most out of him
It‘s hard for Rublev to just „add variety“.

He is what he is, technically.

His technique doesn‘t allow for spin, for one.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
It‘s hard for Rublev to just „add variety“.

He is what he is, technically.

His technique doesn‘t allow for spin, for one.
He could step back and try pushing between in patches for surprise ala Federer , using the slice too. Fed could learn it , why not him . But of course , it is difficult at this point

·
Registered
16,148 Posts
He could step back and try pushing between in patches for surprise ala Federer , using the slice too. Fed could learn it , why not him . But of course , it is difficult at this point
It just doesn‘t look like he would ever suddenly have a great slice. Fed had all the tools for that.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Shapovalov - Conventional wisdom is that Shapo just needs to learn better patience and point construction, but I think most of his problems actually come from his relatively flat groundstrokes (especially the forehand). Adding more spin would allow him to get the most out of his long swings and easy power, and would make it easier for his lefty forehand to pressure the backhands of his opponents.

De Minaur - The Aussie cockroach needs to get an earlier and better shoulder turn on serve, more body rotation and less arm muscle in his backhand, and a straighter arm when hitting the forehand. His mindset and point construction are already top tier.

Tsitsipas - Stef's serve technique and ROS could both improve, but the big thing for him is to add more consistent power and spin to his backhand. He doesn't get a lot of wrist flexion or shoulder turn, and he seems to open his shoulders too early, so he often struggles against inferior players with consistent 2HBHs who can trap him in crosscourt rallies. Stef also needs to improve his slice backhand and use it to set up his forehand more (which might help with developing a proper chip return as well).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Tsitsipas will never win a slam, I am pretty sure of that.

He's basically a taller version of Dimitrov.

·
justice for all
15,097 Posts
Tsitsipas will never win a slam, I am pretty sure of that.

He's basically a taller version of Dimitrov.
That's an interesting theory. But I don't really agree. Stef has many flows in his game (ROS and BH being two most obvious ones) but he is a much better prospect than Grigor for me. For Two major difference between him and the Bulgarian are: 1) he rarely uses BH slice (maybe even should employ it more often - but only if he improves it); 2) he is a more offensive player (but still not offensive enough - becomes too passive at times).
We'll see what happens. He's still very young as for today's standards. My bet is he'll improve and eventually win slams.

·
Registered
980 Posts
All of the will be able to fight for slams in a few years unless they get a serious injury.
Rublev- should be a top 10 player soon, needs to add more variety and improve his mentality.
Shapovalov- needs to improve is consistency, he slowly gets better but still not there. Should learn how to slice as well.
FAA- Needs more experience playing top players and improve is mentality.
De-Minaur- not sure if he will win a slam, might be this generations Ferrer. Lacks big weapons, but usually very consistent from the back of the court with a great fighting spirit.
Tsitsipas- needs to work on tactics and some technical stuff but he has a great potential, either he becomes a big star or the next dimitrov is up to him.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Tsitsipas- needs to work on tactics and some technical stuff but he has a great potential, either he becomes a big star or the next dimitrov is up to him.
He or any other promising NextGenner can't become the next Dimitrov (3 GS SF, 1 WTF, 1 Masters) or Berdych, in terms of the number of the big titles, simply because there will be no peaking Big3 around to stop them in slam/masters QF/SF, and because the best NextGeners will probably not be able to sustain their high level of play throughout the whole season as Big3 and Big4 used to do for over a decade.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Rublev - will continue to make QF‘s with extreme baseline consistency and power game, but be held out by just better, more varied players
FAA - When he puts it all together, he will win slams. A matter of time. It took Thiem a while until this, also.
Shapovalov - could make the quarters, could also lose R3. More hot and cold in that his technical is a little inferior, which creates more match-ups in which he has to take bigger shotmaking risks than others. His improved return, BH and patience should have him on a good stream if making at least R4‘s though. Not sure he has a SF in him.
DeMinaur - incredibly admirable worker and improved FH which can attack, but forever locked at QF as max stage unless draw opens up, will probably be a consistent 4R player like RBA was for years.
Tsitsipas - needs to avoid big servers and strong 2H BH‘s, best outside of those with Nadal and Thiem together. Could theoretically beat the heavy 2H‘ers, but will have it tough. Can win slams, should look towards making QF‘s as somewhat of a minimum stage.

But talent is loading up at the top, nothing is given, guaranteed.
Interesting analysis. I agree with most of it but I would give Shapo the benefit of a doubt. I think he has a SF in him, even more than that. Next 2-3 years will tell us more about his development.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is my take:

Rublev: I don't see him winning a slam. His game is not good enough, and his mental toughness isn't even close. QF and maybe a SF will be the future.
Tsitsipas: I'm on the fence with him. He blows hot and cold. Some matches he's brilliant, and other times he's blatantly horrible. He's already reached QF and SF matches. I think he will get into finals, but depends on his opponents. I feel he'll get at least a couple of slams. Possibly AO and Wimbledon.
FAA: Again, I'm on the fence with him. He needs to mature a few more years and then we'll know better. But, he has the potential for sure. However, he's been in many finals already and never won once. That is not a good sign, but he's still very young.
Shapovalov: Hard to say. Like Tsitsipas his ceiling is very high, and the floor is not as low as it once was. He's far more consistent, but he can certainly blow games and sets in a long match. Still not mentally tough enough to win, but I think he'll win Wimbledon a couple of times, the AO at least once and the USO at least once. He's not good enough on clay for the French. First, he has to win a Masters title. He's been close many times.
However, who would have ever predicted that Borg would win 5 Wimbledon titles, and in a row!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
1. Rublev- will generally make the QF of big tournaments and be stopped by someone with more game and abilities
2. FAA- has the ability to win slams I think but I wanna see him in more big tournaments to properly make an assessment
3. De Minaur- consistently goes mid/semi deep in big tournaments but won’t have the ability to take out top players
4. Shapovalov- Wawrinka like career where he peaks for a few slams and wins them but won’t be consistent enough to be a consistent top 3-5 player
5. Tsitsipas- has the ability to be a consistent top 3 player and win slams but needs to improve ros and backhand for that to happen, serve could be better for his height but it won’t necessarily hold him back like the former 2 things will

1 - 14 of 14 Posts