Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing that tomorrow I'll most probably not have time among all the celebration, I thought I take time today to write about my grandparents. I remember when I was a kid and pestering my granddad with demands to "tell about the war", he'd told me some minute detail about asking Polish peasants for food, or how his commander met Rokossovsky, but nothing about actual war, actual fight. He didn't want to traumatize me, I guess (I was his favourite among his 6 grandchildren), still I regret not being more persistent. He wasn't a hero, didn't fight for Berlin (was wouned the final time near Prague and sent home), just a foot-soldier. He was lucky to have stayed alive. And I regret tremendously not asking him more. He died from canser in the summer of 1993, 84 years of age, half a year after his wife. He was a joiner.

And his wife, my grandmother. They haven't yet moved to Moscow then, lived in Orel, a smallish town some 300 kms to the south. By the December 1941 it was overrun, shot and bombed into the ground. Grandma was alone there with their 3 kids (my 3 uncles, my mother wasn't yet born), one of the boys died from disenteria, and they were lucky to have lost only him. It's mind-boggling, really, how much these people had endured. We, with our cars and indoor plumbing and cell-phones and hypermarkets can't even begin to imagine what it's like to be alone with 3 boys from 13 to 3 in the city occupied by nazis, without roof, without food, in the middle of fiercely cold winter of 1941. They fled for the countryside, eventually, like almost everyone who wanted to survive. And the biggest unjustice of it all is, that those left behind the front lines, those women, children, old people weren't even recognized as heroes. They suffered often more than soldiers up front, continued to work and fight, and weren't even given veteran pension.

But again, my grandparents were lucky, considering. We remember them, and visit their graves, and I'm sure I will tell my son about them sometime.

In unrelated news, I spent quite a sum of money today - bought a stylish overcoat and two pairs of trousers. Now, some shoes would be nice too, and I'm set for the summer. Oh, and a purse. Can't forget about that.

Plus, Ive seen a weirdest dream tonight - I was flying on military chopper, on the very top, under the vanes. We were flying really low, among some strange urban landscape, and I asked the pilot to fly faster, 'cause someone was pursuing us. When we finally landed, we were quickly surrounded by mob, I lost my pilot from view and woke.

So, there's my longest entry to date.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Tanechka :hug: Your posts made me think again how ungrateful are we to what we have - the most important - the freedom. I have similar stories to tell from my granparents, and sometimes I feel like I"m in another dimension.
Happy Victory Day and try to smile, if you can! :smooch: :smooch:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts