Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I don't really have to spin any narrative here, we can all see the injustice.

code violation - audible obscenity for "oh shut up"? I guess it is Wimbleboring. Let me you in on what you hear at the US Open at a night session. :ROFLMAO:

Chair ump freaked out, gave a penalty because he got nervous, obviously can't take it back, things gets worse, freaks out further.

Tarango completely in the right.

I love the 90's lingo "I've got a big beef!" "you can't do that" :ROFLMAO: Tennis is so funny sometimes

There is an obvious bias against American players on the ATP tour, and it has existed, well, since professional tennis has existed. This is FACT.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
He called off the match; the umpire didn't. That second outburst, name calling the umpire, is unnecessary.

Rule Number 1, to all kids taking up tennis. As a player, you cannot call umpire names, even if the umpire is blatantly incorrect. You can take it up to the supervisor and make your point. That's all. The officials, which include the chair umpire, have the final say.

·
Registered
316 Posts
He called off the match; the umpire didn't. That second outburst, name calling the umpire, is unnecessary.

Rule Number 1, to all kids taking up tennis. As a player, you cannot call umpire names, even if the umpire is blatantly incorrect. You can take it up to the supervisor and make your point. That's all. The officials have the final say.
if I recall correctly, the umpire wrongly gave him a "audible obscenity" warning/penalty, which should have been a unsportsman like conduct warning/penalty,
and thats what set Tarango off

also the replays showed chalk for the call in question, so Tarango was right to be ticked off

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
if I recall correctly, the umpire wrongly gave him a "audible obscenity" warning/penalty, which should have been a unsportsman like conduct warning/penalty,

also the replays showed chalk for the call in question, so Tarango was right to be ticked off
Fuck this umpire but if the priority is to win the match you have to take it in stride and show grace under pressure (what Hemingway called courage). Dumbpire should have asked the crowd to be quiet after Tarango told them to shut up but he forgot his role is to ensure the integrity of the match. Un-sportsmanship warning would have been less egregious.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts

The second outburst was after the supervisor's intervention, so Tarango had enough time to cool off. Apparently, he decided not to continue playing after the first warning.

Also, more often than not, the supervisor sides with the chair umpire. There's no reason for the second outburst. As a player, you have to control your temper at all times; that's my take.

·
Premium Member
9,112 Posts
"The unfair defaulting..." Starring no one else but Jeff Tarango as he defaulted himself. He blew it.

Don't have an issue with the umpire's first code violation (a soft warning could've been issued at that moment, but this wasn't out of place either and Tarango should've accepted it and moved on), but I think the 'replay of the point' call was poor; for sure a direct ace instead. The line umpire's call came after the ball was already past the opponent, i.e. he wasn't hindered and at no point was he about to get to the ball. No problem with Tarango arguing that call, but he took it too far. In the end he may have simply let his nerves get the better of him. Caved in under pressure. Was trailing by one close fought set.

·
Registered
11,879 Posts

I don't really have to spin any narrative here, we can all see the injustice.

code violation - audible obscenity for "oh shut up"? I guess it is Wimbleboring. Let me you in on what you hear at the US Open at a night session. :ROFLMAO:

Chair ump freaked out, gave a penalty because he got nervous, obviously can't take it back, things gets worse, freaks out further.

Tarango completely in the right.

I love the 90's lingo "I've got a big beef!" "you can't do that" :ROFLMAO: Tennis is so funny sometimes

There is an obvious bias against American players on the ATP tour, and it has existed, well, since professional tennis has existed. This is FACT.
One of the whiniest players in tennis gets a thread defending him by one of the whiniest posters on here. If you have a tantrum on court and make accusations against an umpire based on gossip, there will be consequences. I feel sorry for anyone that needs that explained to them. If there was bias against him or he was hard done by, why did no other players come out in support of him?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Disagree, Tarango's behaviour was clearly inappropriate.
Also, it is not that this scene changed tennis history, Tarango was trailing by one set and could have lost the match anyway. And if not, he would have lost the next one against Agassi for sure (H2H 7-0, not a single set won)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
That was clearly an overreaction against Jeff — no doubt in order to whitewash guilt for allowing McEnroe to get away with infinite shit in the times prior to that incident. There was an attitude of "let's stamp out the J-Mac wannabes — nip them in the bud"

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
This was the best thing that ever happened to Tarango. He made a career out of this incident. If anything, he should give the umpire a 5% cut of his earnings.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts