Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Marton Fucsovics, Tennys Sandgren, Vasek Pospisil, Lloyd Harris, Alexei Popyrin, Dennis Novak, Damir Dzumhur, Egor Gerasimov, Ilya Ivashka, Jiri Vesely, Denis Kudla, Henri Laaksonen, Christopher O'Connell, Michael Mmoh.

Most of these are perfectly capable of making 3R's at slams in any 'normal' less deep era, and guys like Pospisil and Sandgren could achieve more (Sandgren even has).

And obviously in/out or previously injured players like Raonic, Potro, Murray, Anderson, Pouille, Chung, McDonald, Molleker, and up-and-coming constantly rising players like Sinner, Hurkacz, Humbert, Paul, Moutet, Kwon, Ruusuvuori, and guys like Hoang, Zhizhen who haven't quite taken off yet but could, to my estimation.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: joaomiguel

Moderator | PreviewBot
I think 70% them are garbage ha

Good idea on thread though.

Id go

Popyrin
Duckworth
Pospisil
EVans
Gerasimov
IVashka
Nishioka
Kecmanovic
Kovalik
Klizan
Bolt

Banned
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think 70% them are garbage ha

Good idea on thread though.

Id go

Popyrin
Duckworth
Pospisil
EVans
Gerasimov
IVashka
Nishioka
Kecmanovic
Kovalik
Klizan
Bolt
Nishioka I forgot. But he's just underranked because this is the usual upstart/flight of a freshly improved player. I wouldn't really say 2019 Nishioka was underranked.

I thought about Klizan. But he just doesn't live up to his talent enough.

I might as well add Cilic or Edmund then.

Their mental problems, inconsistencies, don't necessarily make them under-ranked for me. However, once they make their run, come to fruition, break out of it, they will be underranked.

I guess the usual symptoms of feeling someone is underranked would be harsh/cruel draws, in particular relative to some ranked ahead of them. Performances of higher caliber shown, close efforts against top players where any lesser opponent or easier section would have seen them advance.

Popyrin: had to qualify for like 90% of tournaments last year and did it every single time but once or twice, only to be matched against one of the top seeds most of the time, gave a good battle to quite a few.

Pospisil: beaten many top players since his comeback (Khachanov, Schwartzman, Fognini, Shapovalov), but has been battling it out on a fierce tour/draws, many competitive losses in early rounds against Chung, FAA 2x, Medvedev, Shapovalov, always taking a set but for a tiebreak against Medvedev (+7-5 set) and Shapovalov.

Fucsovics: infamously had a run of 4 1R-2R losses at slams against top seeded players going 5 sets from 2018-2019: 2018 USO R1 4-setter against Djokovic (was his best opponent pre-QF), 2019 FO 5-setter against Schwartzman, 2019 WB 5-setter against Fognini, 2019 USO 5-setter against Basilashvili...

Even at this AO he drew Shapovalov, but went on to tear apart Shapovalov/Sinner/Paul losing 1 set, via TB.

It's hard to face such many close losses against just slightly better players and have to make your bread with "cold rainy night in stokes" Challengers.

It's the same barrier Novak has trouble breaking through, even if he can give just about everyone in the world bar the top 10 a good fight now.

Reactions: NextGenKing

justice for all
Call me captain obvious but Sir Andy even playing on one leg is a legit TOP10 player.

Registered
Aren't you mixing up "underranked" with "underrated"? Ranking is based on results and they usually don't lie.
True, there are a lot of players you could describe as "floaters" with a skill level capable of beating almost anyone on a good day. But they never do it often enough to get them a ranking position in important tourneys. Shapo had it, lost it (and as a consequence failed even more), but then quickly regained it.
It has to do with how well you play against the top 10 players.

That said, I hope Pospisil goes all the way in Montpellier - he deserves it.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aren't you mixing up "underranked" with "underrated"? Ranking is based on results and they usually don't lie.
True, there are a lot of players you could describe as "floaters" with a skill level capable of beating almost anyone on a good day. But they never do it often enough to get them a ranking position in important tourneys. Shapo had it, lost it (and as a consequence failed even more), but then quickly regained it.
It has to do with how well you play against the top 10 players.

That said, I hope Pospisil goes all the way in Montpellier - he deserves it.
Underranked or underrated is the same thing.

Otherwise what do you think is underrated about them?

You perceive them to be at a rank selling them short, thats what underrates them (the rank).

A rank isn't an absolute.

Its an arbitrary assortion of points based on random draws / match-ups.

So if we'd urge for a theoretical rank based on who is better, then the current rankings are deceiving.

And of course if you repeatedly performed better against the best and competed often, but have been ridden with an abundance of tough early round draws, then that very much has to do with why a rank might be selling the player short. So you are obviously wrong with "it has nothing to do with playing top 10's", or more so missing the point, the broader scope of whats happening, how the world around you is built.

It doesnt say there is any functional if any level gap between the world #22 and #23 or #250 and #300, yet one has to be ranked above the other, and by no guarantee does he have to be the favorite or more skilled player in any future match-up.

Moderator | PreviewBot

Registered
All players in my sig.

Registered
Kohli, well at least while he was younger. He is very talented and technically well put-together player. One of the few OHBHs that had no issues with Nadal's FH. He took a set off him at USO 2013, and Nadal was hell scary at that tournament. He defeated Djokovic on RG 2009 in straights, after Novak had the best clay season up to that moment. If my memory serves me well he took set off Fed on Wimbledon 2009 QF as well. I was fortunate to see him live even, guy runs like hell and his game is so eye pleasing, apart from his serve motion maybe. He can accelerate almost effortlessly. Age got the better of him, but I still feel he could go further given his skills. His career-high ranking was #16, he could've broken top 10 with more luck and mentality, IMO.

Always enjoyed watching the guy.

Registered
I guess some of them are underranked because others seem to be overranked at the moment.

#8 Matteo Berrettini (enough said, he didn't steal his ranking but at the moment he is top 30 at best)
#9 Gael Monfils (a good top 20 but should be out of the top 10 soon)
#17 Karen Khachanov
#18 John Isner
#19 Benoit Paire
#21 Felix Auger Aliassime
#31 Borna Coric
#42 Albert Ramos Vinolas

Ranking rewards the last 52 weeks anyway, any anomaly will be corrected soon enough.

Call me captain obvious but Sir Andy even playing on one leg is a legit TOP10 player.
Not at all, chasing balls is one of his best strengths, with an injury hampering his movement he is not top 10 worthy, and I like the guy.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Posp fulfilling premise to the max

Won 7 of last 10 matches against top 20 opponents

Banned
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess some of them are underranked because others seem to be overranked at the moment.

#8 Matteo Berrettini (enough said, he didn't steal his ranking but at the moment he is top 30 at best)
#9 Gael Monfils (a good top 20 but should be out of the top 10 soon)
#17 Karen Khachanov
#18 John Isner
#19 Benoit Paire
#21 Felix Auger Aliassime
#31 Borna Coric
#42 Albert Ramos Vinolas

Ranking rewards the last 52 weeks anyway, any anomaly will be corrected soon enough.

Not at all, chasing balls is one of his best strengths, with an injury hampering his movement he is not top 10 worthy, and I like the guy.
FAA, KK, Paire, RVA definitely not overranked. Monfils is a good top 15'er, his rank has nothing to do with the OP ones.

You aren't underranked because others are overranked.

You might be underranked because someone has to be ranked at a rank, and you have shown level of same rank.

justice for all
FAA, KK, Paire, RVA definitely not overranked. Monfils is a good top 15'er, his rank has nothing to do with the OP ones.

You aren't underranked because others are overranked.

You might be underranked because someone has to be ranked at a rank, and you have shown level of same rank.
For me Paire might be a bit overranked. Others - agreed.

Registered
What do you mean underranked? Such a foggy metric. Perhaps if you are thinking of reading this thread, reconsider, go out for a walk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts