Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The guys that are always there, never at the top, never really faded, just consistently consistent, don't really make any waves, on the court or off, just always on the tour, for years. and there is nothing wrong with that. 馃槑

I nominate Guillermo Garc铆a-L贸pez and Andreas Seppi to begin. (i thought about guys like Kohlschreiber, Verdasco, Feli L贸pez but i think they have just that little extra that disqualifies them from a true journeyman - and again being a journeyman is absolutely awesome, i love guys like that, easy to cheer for, models of persistence)

Lol mate....reminds me of my old thread about jobbers. I will add some later

Reactions: Matthieu

Registered
Mitchell Krueger, Bryden Klein, Victor Estrella Burgos, Michael Russell, Donald Young,

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Mitchell Krueger, Bryden Klein, Victor Estrella Burgos, Michael Russell, Donald Young,
My caveat is that these guys have still been on the main tour for extended periods of time, not kind of bouncing back and forth between that and challenger level so i think that disqualifies Krueger, Klein and Young.

Russell is an excellent example though.

Registered
Journeyman is someone who spends years and years on the Challenger tour never being able to consistently win tour-level matches and solidify his place well inside the Top 100. Andreas Seppi with a career high in the Top 20, with 15 years finished in the Top 100, 9 of them inside the Top 50, and almost 400 match wins is certainly not a journeyman. I wouldn't call GGL one either (5 seasons in the Top 50, 13 in the Top 100, almost 300 wins).

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Journeyman is someone who spends years and years on the Challenger tour never being able to consistently win tour-level matches and solidify his place well inside the Top 100. Andreas Seppi with a career high in the Top 20, with 15 years finished in the Top 100, 9 of them inside the Top 50, and almost 400 match wins is certainly not a journeyman. I wouldn't call GGL one either (5 seasons in the Top 50, 13 in the Top 100, almost 300 wins).
This is about ATP TOUR LEVEL journeymen, thanks.

Berankis and Kukushkin?

Reactions: Matthieu

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I do think calling Seppi a journeyman is quite an insult. How can anyone ranked in the top 20 be a journeyman.
You have to take it into context. A journeyman AT THIS LEVEL, it is not an insult and is meant to highlight the workhorses of the tour. If you really wanted to broaden the definition out and take it literally then we have approximately 100,000 tennis journeymen around the world but i get that's what you get in this soft woke leftist culture where everyone always gets a medal no matter what. Christ guys, use your heads.

THIS IS AN ADMIRATION OF THE JOURNEYMAN, and you guys think it's an insult? :sick: I wish I was born in the 1880's, when men were men. instead of the 1980's

You have to take it into context. A journeyman AT THIS LEVEL, it is not an insult and is meant to highlight the workhorses of the tour. If you really wanted to broaden the definition out and take it literally then we have approximately 100,000 tennis journeymen around the world but i get that's what you get in this soft woke leftist culture where everyone always gets a medal no matter what. Christ guys, use your heads.

THIS IS AN ADMIRATION OF THE JOURNEYMAN, and you guys think it's an insult? :sick: I wish I was born in the 1880's, when men were men. instead of the 1980's
So to be clear, this thread is here for us to agree with you or to be woke leftists?

I really enjoy your threads. They are interesting and that says a lot for the average MTF thread. What the fuck though haha, why do you always bring politics into tennis? A little obsessed? Sad. I think the problem here is that you are just not a sports person so you use some terms a bit differently than are used in sports. Not a big deal. I don't think I need to write it out in capitals lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
So to be clear, this thread is here for us to agree with you or to be woke leftists?

I really enjoy your threads. They are interesting and that says a lot for the average MTF thread. What the fuck though haha, why do you always bring politics into tennis? A little obsessed? Sad. I think the problem here is that you are just not a sports person so you use some terms a bit differently than are used in sports. Not a big deal. I don't think I need to write it out in capitals lol.
This is a thread to nominate and acknowledge atp tour journeymen, I get i got irked by you thinking i was somehow insulting the Tyrolian big man when in fact I was celebrating his career.

This is a thread to nominate and acknowledge atp tour journeymen, I get i got irked by you thinking i was somehow insulting the Tyrolian big man when in fact I was celebrating his career.
Okay, sounds good. So in that case, I don't think that Donskoy is a good example using your definition of journeyman. What about David Goffin and Steve Johnson?

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, sounds good. So in that case, I don't think that Donskoy is a good example using your definition of journeyman. What about David Goffin and Steve Johnson?
Donskoy is a good shout, though he does have a win against Federer. :unsure:

I wouldn't consider Goffin, even though he wilts whenever he plays an important match he's still been ranking pretty highly for an extended period of time.

And i would agree Steve Johnson probably qualifies too, bonus points for the most generic name available too. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts