Watch Federer win this poll :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Rafole :)

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
At the moment. So I take that to mean ignore the year based rankings and rely on the most recent results and gut feeling?
And then you would have to define most recent (last week, month, 3 months, etc.)
Otherwise this poll isn't very relevant (i.e. it becomes a fan poll).

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At the moment. So I take that to mean ignore the year based rankings and rely on the most recent results and gut feeling?
Otherwise this poll isn't very relevant.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Of course. Some tournaments from early 2011 that still affect the ranking, are not relevant for the decision, because players changed dramatically from that time and now everything is different.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Of course. Some tournaments from early 2011 that still affect the ranking, are not relevant for the decision, because players changed dramatically from that time and now everything is different.
Ok, so please define how far back we should go. Only this year? Only the last month? Since the US Open? :)

Otherwise the poll should be: Which are your two favorite players.

Thanks.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so please define how far back we should go. Only this year? Only the last month? Since the US Open? :)

Otherwise the poll should be: Which are your two favorite players.

Thanks.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Look, I don't need you to go and count all the points from some day of the year that I define. For that you don't need a poll, just 2 minutes of your time.
Question is simple : Who are the best 2 NOW? If you think that only the results of this month are relevant, please share your opinion. If you think that 2005 results affect today's situation - Great, be my guest :)

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Difficult to say, Djokovic and one of the other 3 top 4s for sure.

Ranking tells us that Nadal was great between Indian Wells and Wimbledon 2011, dont know if he is still up to the challenge in 2012 (even with that AO final).

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
After Nole i would say Roger and Delpo right now based on form but clay will slow them down for a while.
Difficult to say, Djokovic and one of the other 3 top 4s for sure.

Ranking tells us that Nadal was great between Indian Wells and Wimbledon 2011, dont know if he is still up to the challenge in 2012 (even with that AO final).
:cuckoo: Do I have to remind you who were the players in the last 3 GS finals? :scratch:

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Look, I don't need you to go and count all the points from some day of the year that I define. For that you don't need a poll, just 2 minutes of your time.
Question is simple : Who are the best 2 NOW? If you think that only the results of this month are relevant, please share your opinion. If you think that 2005 results affect today's situation - Great, be my guest :)
Sorry, without restricting the time - it does become a: "Who are your two favorite players" poll."

IF you restrict the time, then it can become a matter of judgement, not only counting points.

For example, if you only include this year, we can try to judge whether Djokovic and Nadal's Australian Open trumps Roger Federer's AO + Rotterdam + Dubai (against the top 8 of 10 players in the world). Or even the South American and Central American results. Once you start going back too far, you might as well follow the rankings, that's what they are there for.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Unless proven different, Djokovic and Nadal.

If the indoor season was up ahead, some might speculate about Federer being the 'real #2'. Alas, now is the time of year he does the least and Nadal will probably do the most. Therefore, this is not one of those cases where the rankings (temporarily) do not reflect the true standing.

I expect Djokovic and Nadal to keep their current positions for the time being.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
only two players have contested the last 3 GS finals. Micky Mouse tournaments do not matter.
agree... some guys here might not like it but Nole and Rafa had the best results last year. again MM tournaments do not matter... will Nole or Rafa will be remembered for winning Dubai or Barcelona, don't think so...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Djokovic and Nadal obviously. And I say this as a huge Federer fan. Winning a bunch of MM tournaments and late ytear tournaments doesn't change that, which was proen at the Australian Open.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts