Mens Tennis Forums banner

The truth behind Novak's, "Thanks for letting me win"

5K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  mistercrabs 
#1 ·
We all heard Novak Djokovic's emotional words after winning his second Wimbledon title.

He also told Roger, "Thanks for letting me win".

Now, thanks to some "inside information", we can now reveal the true story behind this surprising and mysterious statement.

As one may recall, after losing the 4th set, Novak Djokovic headed off the court for a toilet break. What he didn't know is that not long after, Roger followed him to the toilet.

Now when Novak went, he did his business, but when he left the toilet stall to wash his hands, he stared at himself in the mirror and shouted out, "You mug, you're going to frickin lose another final!". Now unbeknownst to Nole, Roger was still in the toilet stall, and couldn't help overhearing Nole's rant. Nole went on to say things like, "How can I lose to the old man in 5 sets? He's more than 6 years past his peak according to MTF! I'm the product of a strong era! I have a gluten-free diet, I hired Boom Boom Becker to help my grass game, and I'm the best returner in the game! I'm getting married! What kind of honeymoon will I have if I lose? How can I let my baby watch the tape? It's all so depressing! I was ahead 5-2, I had championship point! I'm such a choker", and Nole burst into tears.

Now Roger, being a family man, compassionate, magnanimous, and a sucker for a sob story, came out of his stall, and walked up behind Nole and put his arm around him in a consoling gesture, and said, "Look Nole, we've had our differences in the past, and maybe I've said some harsh things at times when you or your family deserved them, but I can clearly see now how much you care about the match and the sport. As I told Andy, I was sure he was going to win at least one of these. Now I'm going to tell you, You're going to win another..."

Nole, not quite believing his ears, blubbered and stuttered, "What? How? When?" Roger responded, "No worries, let me handle it. Look, it's clearly all on my racquet, as you probably know. We've given the crowd a great show, and that's what I care about most. I have 7 of these trophies already. Mirka can't find more room for another anyway. She's going to bug me about needing a bigger house, again, more trophies, more kids, trust me, it never ends. Besides, I can always win next year. How many times do you get married right after Wimbledon? Consider this a wedding present for you and Jelena and show the tape to your baby."

All Nole could say was, "I can't believe it. How can I thank you?". Roger answered, "Well, after you win, just be sure to tell the crowd how honored you are to play me, how great a player I am, and what I mean to the sport, you know, stuff like that, don't hold back." Nole said, "That's it?" Roger nodded but added, "Of course, the next time we meet in a slam, you might try taking it easy on the old man. It clearly won't be on my racquet forever you know." "Oh, also, make sure you take a Medical Timeout and act the part. But don't leave the court. Let the crowd see you suffer as the trainer treats you. Then, gradually recover and fight your way past it. The crowd will love it and worship you even more for struggling through the pain, just ask Rafa", Roger winked.

Finally as they were being called back, Roger said, "Oh, I almost forgot. Let me give you these as well." Roger pulled out two small shiny steel balls, and handed them to Nole, "just a man-to-man reminder of what you should always have. Remember them on your wedding night and Jelena won't be disappointed."

And the rest you know. :cool:

Respectfully,
masterclass

See less See more
#2 ·
That's interesting grade-5-level creative writing mate...good job.

#5 ·
Yeah, Thanks Mr. Oracle. :) It helps to know one's audience. :yeah:

Respectfully,
masterclass

#7 ·
:clap2: Nice story, Masterclass, but now you'll have to make up another story to explain why Nole said exactly the same thing to Rafa when he beat him in the Monte Carlo final in 2013.

Novak said to Rafa: "Thank you for letting me win this" :lol: :lol:

My story is the same in both cases: Novak was acutely aware, both times, that he was playing a final against the man who had owned that tournament for years and years. Novak played Rafa, the king of Monte Carlo, Novak played Roger, the king of Wimbledon. He showed his respect to both when he beat them. :D

#12 ·
Very true, Yolita. :yeah: Nole certainly became very respectful as he matured. :worship:

Respectfully,
masterclass

#8 ·
I don't normally read these things on here. But that was very funny, I am sitting in my bed smiling hard throughout. Excellent. I was reading it out in my mind in their voices and could actually imagine it.

Thanks.

#9 ·
We all heard Novak Djokovic's emotional words after winning his second Wimbledon title.

He also told Roger, "Thanks for letting me win".

Now, thanks to some "inside information", we can now reveal the true story behind this surprising and mysterious statement.

As one may recall, after losing the 4th set, Novak Djokovic headed off the court for a toilet break. What he didn't know is that not long after, Roger followed him to the toilet.

Now Roger, being a family man, compassionate, magnanimous, and a sucker for a sob story, came out of his stall, and walked up behind Nole and put his arm around him in a consoling gesture, and said, "Look Nole, we've had our differences in the past, and maybe I've said some harsh things at times when you or your family deserved them, but I can clearly see now how much you care about the match and the sport. As I told Andy, I was sure he was going to win at least one of these. Now I'm going to tell you, You're going to win another..."

Respectfully,
masterclass
Then after the match and during the presentation, Federer realized and told to himself "oh man ...what a sucker I am...I fell for a sob story...this is my last chance...how could I do this" and burst into tears for losing the last chance to win a slam.

#16 ·
Well, he did shed one tear... Clearly sacrificial and quite humble, no? :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

#10 ·
:lol: I'll give you credit this s*** is funny as hell

#11 · (Edited)
Well, it's a good thing. Youngsters should know by know that if you want to win a major you have to kinda shit, no?

Kei, Milos, Dimi and others just run to your bathroom, do number 1 or number 2 and talk to yourself. You'll be winning slams left and right. Darn, the secret has been reveled ;).

#14 ·
Well, it's a good thing. Youngsters should know by know that you win your majors in 'your' bathroom.

Kei, Milos, Dimi and others just run to your bathroom, do number 1 or number 2 and talk to yourself. You'll be winning slams left and right. Darn, the secret has been reveled ;).
LOL..
you missed the main part..they need to look into the mirror

#18 ·
he just acknowledged feddy as one of the best grass players. simple as that.

#22 ·
There is no way this didn't happen. Amazing stuff!

#28 ·
masterclass, you just got the best compliment one can have. :yeah:

Btw, what was the joke Federer said in the beginning of his speech? I couldn't hear it properly. I thought Novak's words were an answer to that.

#42 · (Edited)
Thanks Cloren. :) What else is there to do... it's the summer lull, right? One can't always be so serious.

Though I suppose one could always be doing some high altitude hard court training with the help of a friend and Lindt, before getting back to the wife and kids. ;)

Or enjoying life where it's warmer and where the heart is. :yeah:

Or with friends on the water...

Respectfully,
masterclass

#39 · (Edited)
Do you honestly think Federer was going to give up is last realistic chance to win An 18th slam. And breaking Sampras's record of 7 Wimbledon crowns in the open era, because he felt sorry for Djokovic and his recent failures in slam finals?

Nice try, what REALLY happened was FATHER TIME caught up with Federer in the 5th. There was no power, no sting in his forehand or backhand. EVERYTIME Federer is pushed to five sets from now on its going to do serious damage to him. He will go down from here. This was a last chance saloon effort by the great man.

But you have to see it for what it is. Federer got a pass to the final, because some upstart from down under. Decided to play the best match he will probably ever play at the wrong time for Nadal. Had Nadal faced Fed in the Semi, it would have more likely been a Nadal/DJokovic final.

But I doubt we will see Federer in another Wimbledon final. You will see what Fathertime does to him over the next year. Federer really ought to retire and enjoy his beautiful family. Theres nothing left to prove out there. He has set the mark at 17 slams. Now we have to wait and see if Nadal can match him by careers end.

#40 ·

#45 ·
in reality Roger would've cackled with laughter, cracked open his toilet door hitting djokovic in the shin before defecating on the poor Serbian's tennis whites (Nole writhing around on the floor in agony at this point)and then leaving, purchasing a triple magnum of Moet & Shitedon via phone as he returned to centre court and ordering Mirka to stick a hideous golden "18" to his tracksuit.

#48 ·
Who says that the unemployed can't contribute in other ways?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.