Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There has been so many of these "end of Federer era" claims, and Federer made mockery of them so many times, yet they are promptly and resurgingly repeated whenever he loses a few matches, that you have to wonder: what is the true reason behind all of that?

The reason is actualy not because he is winning too much ("created a monster" of having to win every match), but because of disrespect for him. They actualy don't believe he is that good in the first place. It simply doesn't go into their's head he is the worlds no.1. They see the results, and have to accept them, but fail to percieve and apreccate the action behind it. They have hard time realising how he made that sucess, and so they have to come out with most ridiculous "explainations", like other players being "affraid" of him and losing before stepping on court, or opposition of his time being weak. So because they see only the statitical side of his, his slightest unsucess is enough for them to proclaim him into a non-entity.
And when all the talk about someone's sucess is about numbers, you know it is a symptom of ununderstanding. And what many people from the beggining failed to take notice about Federer, is his enigmatic way of winning matches (and he was like that much before anyone was "affraid" of him and such crap - from the very first mathc I saw at least, and that was 2003 Wimbledon when he was no.4 or no.5 on the world). It was like he was twisting the rules of the game, changing what you always took for granted has to be in tennis - for example, his seemingly impossible returns of serve, outacing guys like Roddick and Philipussis, the uncany ability to always be where he should be on court etc. He never had booming weapons to show off, and was even never looking too fast on court. He would just languidly hit a ball once, twice - and the point is his, or an oponent makes a mistake... I wondered how comes he wins points so easily, seemingly with doing nothing? Why can't others do it? (only Nalbandian was sometimes looking comparable).

From the begginign I had the feeling his "mysterious" way of winning points and matches comes not from a few weapons, but from a harmonic whole that everything that he does mounts up to, a bit artistic like.
And at that, if something standed out, it was a talent of his not-so -closely-connected-with-sport: to read intentions of his oponents and somehow control the game, direct the flow of the game into his advantage. Sometimes you would even feel like the other guy almost doesn't exist on court, but is just participating in a play Federer is directing. And against a given oponent, he would repeatedly win a match on the same way, often with a few decisive balls that look to be down to luck. And on the overall level, what seems uncertain and down to luck, with Federer was becoming almost certain and predictable. There was this scientific feel to his way of playing, that would tell you his game is based on judgement and understanding rather than on mindless actions. He was looking incredibly versatile. You had the feeling that whatever oponent or style of oponent he would face, whatever present player or heralded champion of the past, somehow he would find a way to neutralise them.

So what Federer was for me from the beggining was not primarily results, but this game rather original and appealing, much fuller of content than game of most of his peers. Now, what I never dreamed of, is that he will manage to establish present kind of dominance by playing such smooth, aesthetical all-court style. However I liked Federer, I thought he will like be world no.2 forever. I thought modern times are about raw physical power and industrial match-winning, not "class" and overall mastery of the game.

That he with time began to dominate modern tennis with such style was for me a phenomenon, a real wonder. I am still inspired with it and I am thining like there is something more powerfull than a human-made state that is on the side of aesthetics.

But then to return where I began, it is pretty shamefull that media of today never quite knew what to make of Federer. That speaks much of them. It is true that as a person Federer is a bit goofy and maybe a bit inmature, so he is lacking in "charisma"; but his mentioned qualities should be higly marketable. He is a demonstration of class in tennis. When you see him play, you can just feel what classical tennis is about, much like Maradona made you feel what football is about. On paper many other players seem to do the the same, but that's just not it... He also has rarely stylish and inspirational figure and appearance, maybe the most archetypical tennis-like appearance ever seen - like someone deliberately molded him into a tennis player. Than there is even a sort of knight-like, medieval spirit around him that I find very appealing... And also a cosmopolitian polish and a modern, techno-personality... And yet all of these things don't seem to be too interesting to todays media. Now you work it out what that means... our times are not only unclassy & unaesteticaly oriented, but despite all the technogy that is superficialy emplyoed, essentialy antimodern... that is why Federer despite all of his success is oppositionary type of champion - a chamion from the other side of the state...
There was always a kind of defensive attitude and "don't know how to react" pose towards Federer from the side of the medias and the state... "too good for us?" - yeah, I think that's the strory...

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Way to tired to be bothered reading all that.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
ORRRR.... maybe it's because he's losing to people and playing a level of tennis he hasn't since he began his domination of the game? Just a thought...

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ORRRR.... maybe it's because he's losing to people and playing a level of tennis he hasn't since he began his domination of the game? Just a thought...
Are you blind? I was talking not only about this latest claim, but the tradition of constrantly puting Federer under doubt at every slight slip of his

Reactions: Sunset of Age

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Once I got to the part about people wanting the Federer era to end because they didn't realize how good he was, I stopped reading. :yawn:

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
Are you blind? I was talking not only about this latest claim, but the tradition of constrantly puting Federer under doubt at every slight slip of his
I am afraid this is not "a slight slip of his". I mean we're in April and he hasn't won a single title. So yes, there are reasons to say that that this could be his end.

I mean i am not saying it is his end, but face it, it may me. And it is starting to look like it is.

Besides, yes there was a time when almost every player feared him, and yes they entered the court already thinking they were going to lose. And now that's not happening. No one sees him as unbeatable anymore and that's not because we, the ones who watch tennis, or the players disrespect him, it is because he is not unbeatable anymore.

Face it, most of what you say doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am afraid this is not "a slight slip of his".
As I already answered, my post was not related to this latest claim.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once I got to the part about people wanting the Federer era to end because they didn't realize how good he was, I stopped reading. :yawn:
Well great, you are not one of "them".
But you imply "they" exist only in my head. That unfortunately is not the case.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Well great you are not one of "them". But you imply "they" exist only in my head. That unfortunately is not the case
:lol: I haven't seen any evidence of any person who doesn't like Federer claiming that Federer isn't actually a supremely good tennis player, so, yes, until you prove to me that there are a large number of these people you claim exist and not just a handful of nutters, I will continue to think they are a product of your imagination. Sorry, but I've got to trust my own judgment until I'm proved wrong.

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
seriously, get over it.

People say what they say because they base on what happens in the moment. And he hasnt' won a tournament, it is normal that people start saying that this may be his end.

I think everyone here agrees that he was amazingly good, perhaps the best ever. Still, now they also have to say that maybe he will never be the same again!

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
It's because the long knives are out, and the Rafa/Djoko tards want blood!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:lol: I haven't seen any evidence of any person who doesn't like Federer claiming that Federer isn't actually a supremely good tennis player, so, yes, until you prove to me that there are a large number of these people you claim exist and not just a handful of nutters, I will continue to think they are a product of your imagination. Sorry, but I've got to trust my own judgment until I'm proved wrong.
O.K.
I simply know personaly a few such people, so you will understand why I am not intereseted in proving their's existence.
And there are articles over the net that I could reffer as profs, but I don't want to insist too much as I already basicaly said it all

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
O.K.
I simply know personaly a few such people, so you will understand why I am not intereseted in proving their's existence.
And there are articles over the net that I could reffer as profs, but I don't want to insist too much as I already basicaly said it all
There are also people who still think that potatoes grow in trees.

Are you going to make an article abou them (who are a minority??).

In your post your talking to everyone who says federer is done, not only to the ones who dont agree he was the best.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
DDrago give it a rest.

The reason why so many people --- acutally I shoud say the reason why I bash Fed is not becasue I don't think he's talented (damn the man has won "several" grand slams - too lazy to look up the actual number).

It's because of exactly the attitude you imply in your rant - that we all should bow down to JesusFed. Kiss his feet even in defeat.

And obviously now that he's struggling a bit its fun to laugh at those who actually thought a tennis player could or ever would be more than a tennis player.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In your post your talking to everyone who says federer is done, not only to the ones who dont agree he was the best.
no, I am talking of everyone who are for years now saying that he is done. Read the first sentence

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
no, I am talking of everyone who are saying he is done for years now
Do I have to use the potatoes metaphor again so that you understand?

Anyway, why are you posting it right now? when it looks like he is really done?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's because of exactly the attitude you imply in your rant - that we all should bow down to JesusFed. Kiss his feet even in defeat.
than I failed to make myself clear - I just feel that from some infatomable reason Federer is not aknowledged for what he is as other players are/were

And obviously now that he's struggling a bit its fun to laugh at those who actually thought a tennis player could or ever would be more than a tennis player.
that's interesting...

And hey, I gave it a rest already. It wasn't written by me anyway - I recieved it from above in a trance state ;-)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts