Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching the matches on the Tennis Channel. And I have a question? WHY IN THE WORLD IS THERE A TOURNEY IN VEGAS IN MARCH? According to the forecast, the nights are in the 40's (F)/5 (C). The fans, coaches, and players are all snuggled up like they are watching football games. I'm just waiting for someone's breath to be seen.

Why are they playing outdoors in these conditions? Another "wonderful" move by the ATP tour.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Because someone in Vegas put up the money, and someone in Scottsdale was willing to let it go. I spoke to a chair umpire after the first year of this event, and he HATED it and hoped he would never have to go back (but alas, he was doomed to suffer the same punishment again).

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Tennis in cold conditions, it's not like it hasn't happened before. Hamburg, Båstad, even Roland Garros has had times when players had the full tracksuit to warm up in.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If it's ok and expected to have to play in soaring heat then it's only fair that there are tournaments in colder conditions too. Whats the problem :shrug:

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
It's been warmer this year than the past 2 years

Oh and I was there in Scottsdale in 2004 and it was just as cold.... not a great time of year for the US desert at night...

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
They could skip night matches and only play in daylight, but I guess TTC wouldn't like that.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
It's a desert. If it's not too hot during daytime to play tennis, it's cool at night. :shrug:

Unfortunately, today a cold front pass and brought cool temperature and gusty wind with it.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
IW has the same problems sometimes, but LV just seems to be so much worse. That same chair umpire has done both Scottsdale and IW, but he seemed to hate LV the most.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
May be Princess Resort is more comfortable? :lol: I don't know if LV's site is further out of town in a more remote part. While the tournament in Scottsdale was in a very good part of the city.

Last year in IW, I was cooked during daytime and almost shaking while I hanged on to watch Rainer's match into 11pm.

·
Banned
82 Posts
I've been watching the matches on the Tennis Channel. And I have a question? WHY IN THE WORLD IS THERE A TOURNEY IN VEGAS IN MARCH? According to the forecast, the nights are in the 40's (F)/5 (C). The fans, coaches, and players are all snuggled up like they are watching football games. I'm just waiting for someone's breath to be seen.

Why are they playing outdoors in these conditions? Another "wonderful" move by the ATP tour.:rolleyes:
better now than in July

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Korolev and some of the women in the ITF event were playing in long sleeve shirts and one woman was wearing pants as well. It's not onlt cold, it's also windy, making it feel colder. Tough conditions to play in.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hewitt is playing now, and Darren Cahill is wearing a coat, hat, AND gloves.:eek: Fine, you believe the players can deal with the conditions, but I would NEVER go to a tourney where I could actually get sick while watching.

·
124,507 Posts
Hewitt is playing now, and Darren Cahill is wearing a coat, hat, AND gloves.:eek: Fine, you believe the players can deal with the conditions, but I would NEVER go to a tourney where I could actually get sick while watching.
You don't have to go and you are a bit marshmallow soft. It isn't that hard to dress for the conditions.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Korolev and some of the women in the ITF event were playing in long sleeve shirts and one woman was wearing pants as well. It's not onlt cold, it's also windy, making it feel colder. Tough conditions to play in.
Melinda Czink from Hungary wore a long sleeve shirt and long pants while her opponent Asia Muhammad, a Las Vegas native wore a sleeveless short dress. :p

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Get sick while watching? :eek::lol: Geez, toughen up!
Where I grew up, if you couldn't play in temperatures under 50 degrees F, you often wouldn't get to play more than two or three months per year. Sometimes the first day of tryouts for the high school teams were spent shoveling snow off the courts, not playing tennis (I'm not joking)!

I'd rather watch tennis in conditions like they're having in Las Vegas than in the heat and humidity of the U.S. Open, for example.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You don't have to go and you are a bit marshmallow soft. It isn't that hard to dress for the conditions.
Um...obviously, you haven't been to an Eagles game in January. I've been to quite a few...and while it was worth it to watch, that doesn't mean one ENJOYS being out there. Runny noses DO NOT go with tennis.

Get sick while watching? :eek::lol: Geez, toughen up!
Where I grew up, if you couldn't play in temperatures under 50 degrees F, you often wouldn't get to play more than two or three months per year. Sometimes the first day of tryouts for the high school teams were spent shoveling snow off the courts, not playing tennis (I'm not joking)!

I'd rather watch tennis in conditions like they're having in Las Vegas than in the heat and humidity of the U.S. Open, for example.
An expected response from someone whose residence is Sesame Street.;)

·
124,507 Posts
Um...obviously, you haven't been to an Eagles game in January. I've been to quite a few...and while it was worth it to watch, that doesn't mean one ENJOYS being out there. Runny noses DO NOT go with tennis.
Got a newsflash for you. I grew up in a town that is 68 degrees north, you know past the Arctic Circle. I am slightly familiar with the cold.

There is a saying. There is no such thing as bad weather, it's bad clothing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts