Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a questions about the Tall huge servers like Guccione Arthurs Karlovic Isner Norman any other person i missed. why dont they have such consitent groundstrokes? and if they develop there groundies surley they would be top tier players can someone explain?

i mean wouldnt they think hey i have a huge serve if i develop my groundies i will be an even better player?!?!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Just a questions about the Tall huge servers like Guccione Arthurs Karlovic Isner Norman any other person i missed. why dont they have such consitent groundstrokes? and if they develop there groundies surley they would be top tier players can someone explain?

i mean wouldnt they think hey i have a huge serve if i develop my groundies i will be an even better player?!?!
I'm a tall 6'7" big server whose ground strokes lag my serve in terms of level of play (5.0 to 5.5 serve, 4.0 ground strokes), so I'll take a stab at that one. When you're so tall it's a lot harder to move well on the court. Even if you are quick, it is difficult to have good balance when you get to a ball. Changing directions is much more difficult as well since our center of gravity is much higher. Most of these tall guys you mention have pretty good ground strokes when they get to the ball and are on balance but getting there on balance isn't that easy. Thus extended rallies are going to favor their opponents who move better, thus these players tend to want to end the point quickly. So they are a lot more likely to go for hit or miss winners early in the rally. So between the fact that often they aren't reaching the ball on time and/or on balance and that they are trying to shorten the rallies, it makes their groundies appear to be very poor. I bet if you saw Isner or Ivo on a ball machine that wasn't moving them too much you would be amazed how well they can actually hit groundstrokes.

I wouldn't put Arthurs in the same category as the others you mention, he's not that tall and I think his problems have more to do with form than with size, but the rest I think their ground strokes are innately limited due to their height and mobility (although I can't really speak about Guccione, I've never seen him play).

·
Registered
21,230 Posts

why include arthurs? he is 6'3.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Is there not any way you could improve your balance when you get to the ball?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
How fast do you serve?
No idea, never had opportunity to be clocked. I can hammer a hard flat one, but the strength of my serve is variety from good angles both directions and a kicker that really jumps high. I've found hammering hard flat serves are great now and then, but if you do it constantly people can get used to it and just block it back. Plus variety is just more fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts