Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which member of the Armada do you prefer stylistically?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching Verdasco today and they were talking about how different he is from your "typical Spaniard". It made me realize that among the core Armada members, particularly Nadal, Verdasco, Lopez, and Ferrer, none of them are very similar to one another.

I think they tend to get viewed collectively as such because Spain is generally credited with essentially making "clay court tennis" widespread, but for at least its main cast, their games all bear little resemblance to one another.

Whose style do you prefer the most?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Almagro is my favourite Spanish player nowadays, Ferrero is my all-time favourite Spaniard.

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
All-time: Ferrero, Moya..
Right now: Almagro

Ferrer and Lopez would both be in my top 10 most abhorrent play styles on tour, with Ferrer topping that ranking and Lopez's servebotting-pushing-slicing hybrid not that far behind.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,547 Posts
I have a soft spot for GGL's light baseline style. I also like Pablo Carreno Busta's no nonsense controlled aggressive baseline game but he's yet to do anything off clay, but on clay - very aesthetic to watch. I'll also admit part of Nadal's intense game has some charm to it. I'm not really a fan of Ferrer or Lopez (but I do admire Lopez' serve variety and volleying skills), nor RBA. Verdasco's can be nice to watch at times too when he's playing well.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Verdasco. Admired by "Almagro" option, his game is ugly as f*** :lol:
We all know Verdasco is an inconstant son of a biatch but that doesn't mean his game (and specially is forehand) isn't beautiful. Just watch him when he's on (begining of the match against fed in doha, match against nadal 1st and 3rd set).

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,547 Posts
Verdasco. Admired by "Almagro" option, his game is ugly as f*** :lol:
We all know Verdasco is an inconstant son of a biatch but that doesn't mean his game (and specially is forehand) isn't beautiful. Just watch him when he's on (begining of the match against fed in doha, match against nadal 1st and 3rd set).
Ok someone who shares a similar opinion. I just feel Almagro's doing too much, like he's 'hacking' wildly at the ball (especially FH). BH is ok.

·
Registered
16,693 Posts
wondering about the many Almugro votes here

my fave is Bautista-Agut, I like versatility and variability

·
23,484 Posts
In terms of Slams, it's funny that the "lefty trio" of Nadal-Verdasco-Lopez seem to have their best results on different surfaces IMO: Nadal in Clay, Verdasco on Hard (best Slam result in AO) and Lopez on Grass (had been in Wimbledon QFs).

·
Registered
16,693 Posts
In terms of Slams, it's funny that the "lefty trio" of Nadal-Verdasco-Lopez seem to have their best results on different surfaces IMO: Nadal in Clay, Verdasco on Hard (best Slam result in AO) and Lopez on Grass (had been in Wimbledon QFs).
must have been their style of play: a defensive baseliner with the GOAT FH, an agressive baseliner with a powerful FH and a serve&volley player with an effective serve on grass

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Nando is great when he is in form, as is Lopez. I don't like Daveed as a person but he can be good to watch.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Moya and Ferrero were the only spaniards I was rooting for. Tough choice among current players...

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Forehando from the poll options. Mugro is fun to watch too, especially when in a combo of absolutely crushing the ball and having on-court meltdowns he makes for highly entertaining viewing. like many, there's not exactly a great berth of gamestyles I enjoy watching from current Spanish players - GGL, Carreno Busta, Boredo, DGT, Marti all have relatively aesthetically pleasing, compact-looking strokes in comparison to other Spaniards, but still adopt (on the whole) a fairly methodical, monotonous high percentage style of play.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Verdasco for me. Almagro's alright but a lot of times he just seems like a ballbashing mug. I have nightmares about the rest.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Nadal and Ferrer are my current top Spanish players. Juan Carlos Ferrero is my favorite of the non-active Spaniards.

·
29,637 Posts
Ferrero, Moya, Mantilla and Ivan Navarro are the best Spanish players to watch in modern times. Corretja wasn't bad either.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Funny that many people are naming inactive players. :lol: I am among that category because Moya is one of my all-time favorite players in general, but I didn't expect as much from MTF with the amount of Nando and Nadal fans.

I didn't really want to name them because I think there are common threads among those whom I tend to think of as the original Armada in Ferrero, Moya, and Nadal.

Almagro, admittedly, I completely forgot about or I would have included him. For years though I always kind of saw him as an odd-man out (back when he basically used to dominate South America and disappear), which is ironic because his career high is actually much better than Feli's.

Robredo also slipped my mind until now.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Verdasco, who is a headcase. He is very underrated on MTF. Extremely talented but stupid at the same time. I remember his matches back in 2006/07 ... some amazing shots but he got nowhere ... well,I guess his biggest achievement was that he was with Ana Ivanovic :p.

Ferrer has a big heart and I respect that. A 'little guy' with a huge heart.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts