Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The "Slam Block": Nadal has denied Federer and Djokovic the most # Majors all-time

Great read from FiveThirtyEight's Carl Bialik..He has a formula explaining his numbers:

To quantify this, I give you the “title block.” A title block isn’t an official tennis stat – I made it up. Here’s how it works: If Nadal beat a player in a final, I figure that given the next best possible opponent, the man who lost to Nadal would, on average, have a 50 percent chance of winning. So that win counts as half a title block. (This may undersell some blocked players’ chances of winning, but because this is hypothetical, treating unplayed matchups as coin flips is safest.)
Nadal’s dominance of Federer and Djokovic rank first and second, respectively, among title blocks at the four Grand Slam tournaments, ahead of other famous blocks like Federer’s of Andy Roddick at Wimbledon, Pete Sampras’s of Andre Agassi at the U.S. Open and Bjorn Borg of Jimmy Connors at Wimbledon. Nadal’s defeats of Ferrer at the French Open the Top 10: By costing Ferrer one title, Nadal also takes the 10th spot on the list.

Overall, Nadal has blocked Federer from three and three-quarters major titles; Federer would have 21 without Nadal. That’s No. 1 on the title-blocks list overall, and Nadal’s blockage of Djokovic from almost four major titles is No. 2 on the overall list.

Overall # of Majors blocked by X player

# per Single Major Blocked by X player

Nadal.......Simply the Greatest of his Generation :worship:

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Re: The "Slam Block": Nadal has denied Federer and Djokovic the most # Majors all-tim

Kind of left it hanging out there..Don't want any Endless G*** Debates in this topic :p
Too late, mate.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Re: The "Slam Block": Nadal has denied Federer and Djokovic the most # Majors all-tim

Why is it only 2.3? Fedal played 5 times in RG (4 finals), had Federer won any one of them he would have won the title.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Why is it only 2.3? Fedal played 4 times in RG (3 finals), had Federer won any one of them he would have won the title.
To quantify this, I give you the “title block.” A title block isn’t an official tennis stat – I made it up. Here’s how it works: If Nadal beat a player in a final, I figure that given the next best possible opponent, the man who lost to Nadal would, on average, have a 50 percent chance of winning. So that win counts as half a title block. (This may undersell some blocked players’ chances of winning, but because this is hypothetical, treating unplayed matchups as coin flips is safest.)

·
Registered
21,225 Posts

Why is it only 2.3? Fedal played 4 times in RG (3 finals), had Federer won any one of them he would have won the title.
They played 4 finals in Paris and a semi-final.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts

Read the article. It explains the fractions.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Bullshit, Federer would have like 26 majors if Nadal dosesn't existed

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

Bullshit, Federer would have like 26 majors if Nadal dosesn't existed
Yeah. The method is kind of flawed - I don't think losing to Nadal in QF versus F is too big of a difference, since Federer and Djokovic are both head and shoulders above the field. It certainly isn't just 1/8 of a slam if someone, say Djokovic, loses in QF to Nadal. He'd be a heavy favorite without Nadal in the draw.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

Great read from FiveThirtyEight's Carl Bialik..He has a formula explaining his numbers:

Overall # of Majors blocked by X player

# per Single Major Blocked by X player

Nadal.......Simply the Greatest of his Generation :worship:
fascinating stuff.. thanks for posting, piledrive! :worship:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

Duh. Federer is from different generation.

sorry, but no:

roger turned pro in '98
rafa turned pro in '01

year roger won his first major in '03

year rafa won his first major in '05

they both played each other at their peak and became each other's biggest rivals..

hence, same generation..

different generations would be agassi/sampras vs. roger/rafa..

i.e., saying that rafa's the best of his generation naturally includes roger in the mix as well..

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

sorry, but no:

roger turned pro in '98
rafa turned pro in '01

year roger won his first major in '03

year rafa won his first major in '05

they both played each other at their peak and became each other's biggest rivals..

hence, same generation..

different generations would be agassi/sampras vs. roger/rafa..

i.e., saying that rafa's the best of his generation naturally includes roger in the mix as well..
not really
because you are only considering when their careers started
he's like 5 years age difference
Nadal was an early bloomer, Federer relatively late. sure, their starts similarly coincided, but Federer was arguably past his peak and in decline right when Nadal was at his ultimate peak (2010)
trust me- there is a reason Federer was making all of the GS finals for years 2005-2008 and Nadal only really began to make HC finals post 2009 when Federer was in decline

you are delusional if you think they are the same generation

and by definition they simple aren't. you can't take an earlier blossoming player and say he is someone else's generation just because of results

·
Registered
6,860 Posts

Why is it only 2.3? Fedal played 5 times in RG (4 finals), had Federer won any one of them he would have won the title.
Not really. He would have faced someone else in the final.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

The author acknowledges it, but this method really underestimates things. Realistically, Federer would have won all those FO's as well as Wimbledon 08 and AO 09 against any other player in those tournaments.

Harder to say for certain how many of the tournaments lost to Nadal that Djokovic may have won or may have lost to another player (whether Murray or Federer).

This also underestimates Novak's effect on Nadal in the sense that Nadal almost definitely would have beaten anyone else in the 3 slam finals that Djokovic defeated him in.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts