Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
10,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Del Potro was honestly in incredible form in the Qfs but ran into GOATdal who would refuse to miss and in the 5th set the quality increased exponentially.

Nadal had to play near 90% to beat Del Potro...who struggled with typical forehands but was clutch in the key moments.

For the Djokovic fans. He cruised through the Qfs and could be fresh vs a challenged Nadal.

At the same time Del Potro could have won the QF, had a ton of chances and if he could have capitalized on one then he may have had his chances against Novak.

Either way. He has shown a deadly slice and for once, a competent topspin backhand. Also his serve looks pretty superb. If his body holds up he can be considered a favorite for almost every hardcourt tournament he enters.

He is back and at #4 in his rightful spot, but soon to pass clueless Zverev and take his 2nd U.S. Open in the same fashion as Indian Wells this year.

Are you ready.

·
F***ing have it
17,470 Posts
His topspin backhand was MIA in the last set

·
10,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regardless he brought Nadal all the way to a 5th set.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Delpo is not any hero in this tournament. It was his second best Wimbledon of his career and was part of the most beautiful set of the tournament and maybe of the year, but lost too much energy in his battle against Simon in the last 16 which only ended on Tuesday. He still made a very good match against Nadal the following day but I still think he could have won it should he had kept much more energy in his previous battle. I am pretty convinced, it would have been more difficult for Nole to beat Delpo than Nadal and then in the final, Delpo would have had an unique opportunity as Anderson was dead beat. So as a Delpo fan, I really think it is a missed opportunity even if he gave everything he had.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Delpo is not any hero in this tournament. It was his second best Wimbledon of his career and was part of the most beautiful set of the tournament and maybe of the year, but lost too much energy in his battle against Simon in the last 16 which only ended on Tuesday. He still made a very good match against Nadal the following day but I still think he could have won it should he had kept much more energy in his previous battle. I am pretty convinced, it would have been more difficult for Nole to beat Delpo than Nadal and then in the final, Delpo would have had an unique opportunity as Anderson was dead beat. So as a Delpo fan, I really think it is a missed opportunity even if he gave everything he had.
Yeah that Simon match screwed his tournament 4h30m and playing back to back days is not an ideal situation for the business end of the tournament especially as a big guy with stamina issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts