Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Was sure of a deep run here at RG seeing his level of play in Madrid and Rome....So happy that came true...But am not sure if the road ends here at PC tomorrow. Federer's going to have his chances to make a dent. And he might even come close if he can take his chances and win the big points. Federer has had the knack of getting tight and lose the big points against his fiercest rivals and this trend gets accentuated in matches he loses. So if he's to win, he has to play the big points well. Something tells me we are in for a cracker.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
This month long training session just got real. :lol:

But I have to admit, I'm nowhere near as nervous as I should be considering the stage of the tournament. I feel both him and his fans are in a "nothing to lose" attitude at the moment which is nice.

Here's a video from our good friend @TheMaestro1990 to spice things up. :)

/HuY5UfauaFA

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Allez Roger! :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Roger down a break already. :frown2: Tough conditions out there with the wind.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Roger managed to get the break back! - only to get broken in his next service game. :crying:

Conditions really bad for Roger with this wind... hard to be aggressive without making errors.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Roger gets an early break in the second set. :) 2-0.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
This advantage is gonna be short-lived, isn't it....

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Rafa gets the break back, 2-1. :rolleyes:

Roger saved BPs from 15-40 and had a game point but couldn't close it out. Hate this match. :mad2:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
That drop shot was pretty good but the lob attempt was trash, Roger. :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Roger was leading that game 40-0 and ends up getting broken.... 5-4 with Rafa serving for the second set. :sad:

·
Registered
965 Posts
The more things change the more they remain the same. Like I said, Federer has had his chances. Granted the wind being such a huge factor, but Federer's being so unclutch on big points.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
It's a shame we couldn't have seen what this match would have been like in better conditions.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Wind played a part for sure. But Federer went back to patterns that have been proven to fail against Nadal on slow courts time and time again. That should disappoint him. He had his chances in the both the first two sets.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Two good sets especially that second set but the wind,and Federers silly shot selection didn't let him make this match competitive.

Hopefully he forgets about this one quickly and gears up for GRASS season.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Federer's got to take the positives out of this. He made the semis and has got some great practice for the grass season. His level is good enough against anyone but Djokovic. Will be critical for him to not draw him in twenty odd days. Now get to the grass and make sure you get the Wimby home. Halle cometh....

·
Registered
12 Posts
He was in it up until the end of the second set, when he failed to convert breakpoints at 4-3 and then failed to hold from 40-0 up. After that, it was over mentally.

Wind affects the player who relies more on clean ball striking, timing, and aggressive placement, since it's hard to place balls accurately, hard to find lines, hard to be precise. It favours scrappiness and the ability to scramble and defend. It also favours pure physical strength to hit through the wind.

Roger actually started to find rhythm in his attacks, he did hit his backhand much better than in past RG encounters with Rafa, but still not as well as in 2017 on the hard courts. Still, he had a chance, if he had taken that second set, and he definitely had a chance to do so.

It's not all negative, I feel his body held up well, and I give him good chances for Wimbledon and the US Open now- he's playing better overall, and showed some very good tennis in these two weeks.

I do agree that, probably just due to old memories, he somewhat reverted to old patterns from their previous clay encounters, which have been proven not to work against Rafa. If he had played his full neo-game (and he nearly started to do that in the second set, which is why he almost won it) he would have had a much better shot at the win, but many things including conditions made life very hard.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts