Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Roger has missed all his BPs. Stan breaks on his first chance. :facepalm: :rolleyes:

To be fair, Stan saved some of those BPs with amazing shots, but hopefully this wakes Roger up a bit: he's certainly generated enough break chances... he has to start converting some.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
15-40... two break-back points... come on....

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
both missed on bad FH errors. :frown2: Stan leads 3-1.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Come on Stan I like you but please stop being so good!

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Come on Stan I like you but please stop being so good!
I like Stan too! He would be my second choice for winning this title. I should really be relaxed... feeling like either guy winning is a good result. Especially with Rafa likely waiting in the next round -- another stomach-grinding experience for a Fed fan to watch.

Why am I not relaxed? :hysteric:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Stan wins second set 6-4. :|

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Stan breaks and leads the third set 4-3. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Roger broke back! :surprise: :surprise:

(not really; Stan made a horrible FH error to gift it... but I'll take it :lol:)

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
After about a 10-minute game, Roger holds for 6-5 in the 3rd set.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Roger playing a good tiebreak, up 5-1 :yeah:

Bry :wavey:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Fed wins the TB... again. :D Better get this in four, Roger. No tiebreak in the 5th. :p

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Have to leave for work now. :rolleyes:

Allez Roger!! :cheerleader:

·
Registered
12 Posts
After a half-hour rain delay, Roger came out and finished off the match 64 in the fourth set. Struggled a little to serve out the match, but got it done eventually with a good approach and forehand volley into the open space.

It was a great match, very big hitting and great rallies, Roger also played a number of excellent net points and mixed up serve and volley to try to take advantage of Stan's deep court position and tendency to like to chip returns (Stan also burned Roger a few times with huge returns from way behind the baseline though). I thought it was interesting that he used the odd dropshot against the second serve once again (he also used it in earlier rounds). I'm not sure whether that's a viable tactic against Rafa's lefty serve and footspeed, but then again I've never seen him try it against Rafa.

For quite a while it looked like he was going to lose because he just couldn't convert any breakpoints (I feel like he was a bit passive on breakpoints compared to the deuce points), but then he broke back in the third and won it in a tiebreak. At one point Stan had broken Roger 1 time off 1 break point, while Roger hadn't converted any of around 10 break points.

Overall though, he is playing at a very high level, both backhand and forehand look good, (this is the heaviest he's ever hit the backhand on clay, he's getting more work on it) he's moving well and seems unencumbered by any injuries. Losing in the lead up tournament was probably a good thing for him, allowed him to be more rested.

I see him having a great chance at Wimbledon this year given that he is now playing better than at the beginning of the year, and even though he will be a big underdog against Rafa in the RG semis, I'll definitely be watching that one with just a little bit of secret hope.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Federer should be very proud of what he has achieved here today, reaching a SF surely above expectations from a tight match with another former RG champ.

I dont hold much hope for Friday but the H2H has been in Federer's favour as of late. I fear Phillip Chatrier will change all of that.

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
Fed in a semifinal! :) Wow!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I’m so excited and nervous. I have been able to watch some of his earlier round matches. I can only pray for the most unbelievable outcome here... but whatever the outcome I hadn’t expected he would go this far so any outcomes is acceptable unless Nadal play crap and he even worse

Hope you are all well

21 - 40 of 63 Posts