Mens Tennis Forums banner

How many grand slam titles will Federer end up with when he retires?

Votes: 15 9.6%

Votes: 12 7.7%

Votes: 32 20.5%

Votes: 25 16.0%

Votes: 42 26.9%

Votes: 8 5.1%

Votes: 4 2.6%

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 25 or more

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in light of the new imperatives being played out before our very eyes, i see Fed with no more than 2 additional slams. i believe he will end up with ZERO slams this year and will come back strong next year to take 2 more before they start taking him apart completely.

so the bottom line is that he will have a grand total of 14 when all is said and done. this means that the comparisons with Sampras will continue for the next 100,000 years.

thoughts?

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Mods, how about we merging this thread with the other thousand threads about the end of Roger's dominance ?
Thank you

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:shrug: roger can have slams until he is 30 or so :lol:

what leads you that conclusion? would not the fast increasing competition get in the way. also Fed has already lost a little step.

you can see what happens to baseliners when they lose just a tiny bit of step. hewitt and ferrero, for instance, find it hard to win a single rinky dink tournament because they have lost a little bit of their movement.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
what leads you that conclusion? would not the fast increasing competition get in the way. also Fed has already lost a little step.

you can see what happens to baseliners when they lose just a tiny bit of step. hewitt and ferrero, for instance, find it hard to win a single rinky dink tournament because they have lost a little bit of their movement.
:worship: thank you for making me realise how similar Ferrero's and Hewitt's game are to Roger's

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
:worship: thank you for making me realise how similar Ferrero's and Hewitt's game are to Roger's

i was just trying to make a point. the evidence is pretty clear that someone who relies heavily on his movement will be hurt the most when there is even a tiny drop in that movement.

a small decline in his movement was readily apparent at the australian open. It was the same here against Murray. it happens to everyone around the age of 27 in tennis. it remains to be seen how he will compensate for it.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I don't think he'll win another slam.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I wouldn't write off Federer. Not yet. I think some people here do not understand how competitive tennis is at the top level. Roger made it look so easy last few years.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
He can win Wimbledon on his serve alone, but it will surely be harder than the previous years. As long as he's smart, makes necessary adjustments and doesnt' succumb to complacency, I think he will win more slams. How many more - that's impossible to say.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
People on this board are just... dumb. So so so dumb.

Reactions: Alex999

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
He can win Wimbledon on his serve alone, but it will surely be harder than the previous years. As long as he's smart, makes necessary adjustments and doesnt' succumb to complacency, I think he will win more slams. How many more - that's impossible to say.
No, he can't. The grass is not the same as in years before, and you can't just have a good serve (Roddick), you have to have superb reflexes and volleying skills.

You're also forgetting that both Nadal and Djokovic will be doing great on grass. Djokovic has a serve that has become comparable in quality to Federer's and superior return and grounstrokes. Nadal has superb movement and defense and it works on the soft grass in ways that it doesn't on hard.

Federer has 0% chance of winning FO, and a slim chance of winning Wimbledon. By the time of the USO, Djokovic will be clearly superior on hardcourt.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, he can't. The grass is not the same as in years before, and you can't just have a good serve (Roddick), you have to have superb reflexes and volleying skills.

You're also forgetting that both Nadal and Djokovic will be doing great on grass. Djokovic has a serve that has become comparable in quality to Federer's and superior return and grounstrokes. Nadal has superb movement and defense and it works on the soft grass in ways that it doesn't on hard.

Federer has 0% chance of winning FO, and a slim chance of winning Wimbledon. By the time of the USO, Djokovic will be clearly superior on hardcourt.
affirmative. djokovic certainly has his number on hard courts. nadal owns him on dirt. all that is left for him is grass and even there, life just got a little harder for him.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I think he won the 07 Wim pretty much on his serve, and I don't see anything wrong with his reflexes or volleying to be honest, it's his baseline game that took a dive. If he can recover it somewhat (not to the 05-06 level, but somewhat), he still will win Wimbledon, I think. I agree that the FO ship has pretty much sailed, as for Djoko, I like him bunches, but I think it's premature to say that he's superior to Fed on hc. I was very much hoping to see them play in Dubai, was not to be.

I'm not out to play devil's advocate here, I'm pretty much indifferent to Fed, I just think that he'll win more slams. Not at the rate he's been doing in the past 4 years, but he'll break Sampras record, imo.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Roger is the King of the Grass and has been for the last five years. I am sure he will win Wimbledon this year no doubt.

Its the US Open crown that is in danger I think.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Federer is going down this year, he won't even make the finals of the FO, the way his baseline play has gotten so bad he will struggle on clay... On HC, Djoker is better than him and at Wimbledon, Rafa or Djoker could very well surprise him....

1 - 20 of 137 Posts