Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my opinion, it's not only due to injuries and the fact that the Big 3 has been around in the same time, but also because Del Potro's movement has never been as good as it was in 2009. He became particularly less agile, unable to defend as well as he used to (he was never a great defender to begin with) and also slower. His forehand is as good as it's always been, but it's his movement that hasn't been top notch. Just compare any other year to how he played in the US Open 2009:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I strongly disagree, the guy was a beast. He's beaten the top 3 playing without a topspin backhand several times. Before his surgeries his backhand was much better and oftentimes, as soon as you hit to his forehand, the point was over. I'm sure he would have won more slams and reached #1 at some point if he had never been injured.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I strongly disagree, the guy was a beast. He's beaten the top 3 playing without a topspin backhand several times. Before his surgeries his backhand was much better and oftentimes, as soon as you hit to his forehand, the point was over. I'm sure he would have won more slams and reached #1 at some point if he had never been injured.

Since mid 2005 (and no.2 Hewitt + no.2 Roddick beforehand) no other player outside Fedal & Nolandy was ATP no.2, let alone no.1.

Before his first week as no.1 Murray has won three slams + fourteen masters + two OG golds + entered eight slam finals and nine slam semifinals and seven masters finals.

In the four year period USO'13-RG'17 Wawrinka has won three slams + entered one slam final and five slam semis, still, his highest ranking was no.3.

Nadal and Djokovic both won a lot before reaching no.1 and Djokovic needed 2011 level (just two losses till after USO, winning three slams + five masters) to get there.

·
Banned
19,217 Posts
Is this supposed to be a slick way of pushing your vid? At least be honest about your disrespectful creation

Reactions: Manu_ser and Bakano

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
Forehand was powerful and could take the racquet out of his opponents hands but backhand post surgery was a weakness and his serve is pretty bad for his height (the guy is 6’6 and 6’1 guys like Federer and Sampras have better serves). Movement was never gonna be great due to his size but I don’t think that’s the biggest reason.

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
Crap thread and very crap vid from -what a surprise- a pressed, frustrated Fedcultist from the Mangy Pack.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Even before USO'09 Delpo was very injury prone. Look it up. In hindsight, one might even say he never had a chance to fulfill his potential (#1 and multiple GS titles).

·
Premium Member
11,765 Posts
I really have nothing to say..... Wasting breath trying to argue in this thread.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
He was injured a lot but that might not be just bad luck; playstyle has a lot to do with it. The bigger weapons usually cause more problems and have bigger negative consequences. That's what is annoying about Nodal complaining about his injuries; he should understand that it was inevitable giving his bashing tactics compared to Federer, and in fact he could have had more significant injuries than he actually had.

·
Premium Member
11,765 Posts
Ok screw it.

Look. Del Potro has had 4 wrist surgeries. Is part of it due to his technique? Probably. But can you blame four wrist surgeries all on the individual? No. Part of it just is being unlucky / genetics. There are a lot of guys out there who have really taxing tennis styles but they get injured once every blah blah years.

Also Del potro has great movement considering his size, he is able to track down most balls. His movement isnt the reason he doesn't have 6 GS....its injury after injury. I mean even the most recent one is complete and utter BS. He has what looks like a harmless knee fall and he shatters his knee.

Literally every time he gets back I to the top 10 and or seems to be on the verge of coming back something happens.

The other part is that Del Potro can never catch a break vs the Big 3. I cant ever recall a time when the big 3 ever mugged about or choked too big vs. DEL Potro. Especially Djokovic who denied Del Potro Wimbledon 2013 and or US 2018. Both time he was in great form but faces a peaking Djokovic.

People can say what they want about Federer vs. DEL Potro matches but Del Potro typically takes control of the match and takes it away from him.

At the end of the day though, he rarely gets away with beating one big 3, just to have to try and face another one....

There is an alternative universe out there where Del Potro has bionic wrists and has more Grand Slams than Andy Murray and is Argentina's greatest tennis player.... but here we are..

The true big 3 fans have it easy....

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Forehand was powerful and could take the racquet out of his opponents hands but backhand post surgery was a weakness and his serve is pretty bad for his height (the guy is 6’6 and 6’1 guys like Federer and Sampras have better serves). Movement was never gonna be great due to his size but I don’t think that’s the biggest reason.
I've always wondered about this height serve correlation. Is it fair that I expect guys like Zverev, FAA and Cilic to be much better servers than they are right now.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
I've always wondered about this height serve correlation. Is it fair that I expect guys like Zverev, FAA and Cilic to be much better servers than they are right now.
It really depends on how the player trains. Some players focus more on their ground games (Cilic, del Porto) while others focus more on their serve (Raonic, Kyrgios). The former 2 have excellent ground games both for their height and in general while they lack in the serve while the latter 2 have great serves especially for their height but lack in the ground game.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
The Tower of TandaI's movement is about as good as it gets for someone his size & suspect has had more upper body than Iower body injuries. Just hoping a simiIarIy structured Berretini can take up where Delpo left off w/ more of an impact on current era sustaining fewer injuries.

·
Premium Member
11,765 Posts
The Tower of TandaI's movement is about as good as it gets for someone his size & suspect has had more upper body than Iower body injuries. Just hoping a simiIarIy structured Berretini can take up where Delpo left off w/ more of an impact on current era sustaining fewer injuries.
Uhh Berretini is no where near to Del Potro

1 - 20 of 41 Posts