Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you connect with others through the internet you do lose some vital ingredients to human interaction. Such as...you can't see the person's eyes as they respond to you. You can't view body language...which comprises most of communication. You can't hear intonations and the softness or brashness of a voice. And then there is the time element. Mostly you are not interacting in real time (unless IMing) and so there is a delay between message and response. So with all of these seeming barriers there can be a perceived lack of "realness" if you will. It is easier on the internet to portray only the best parts of oneself or to put out an image that might not be totally accurate.

And there is the factor of safety. Most people are not going to reveal everything about themselves on the internet because it isn't safe to do so.

Yet in some ways...there is more of a reality here on the internet. People are more free with who they are in some respects. People do bare their souls and share their hearts possibly more freely than they would in day to day life. I find that it is much easier to be me when I am writing.

So the question I pose today is...the person you are on the internet...is that person very much like or very different from the person we would meet in person?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm very shy in real life so I can be another person online.
I dont need to show myself to talk without any estimations..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts