So great....

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

·
Your visions will happen
46,680 Posts
Now this is big time.

Must have taken A LOT of work, very well done Slasher.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,334 Posts
I salute you for this, sir/ma'am! Great work!

·
Your visions will happen
46,680 Posts
I may have to alter my all time weeks at #1 once you are finished here :yeah:

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
All Slasher1985 touches, it instantly turns epic. True professional :yeah:

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Awesome.

·
Rankings Master
15,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may have to alter my all time weeks at #1 once you are finished here :yeah:
To be fair, I have already calculated all weeks to the end of 1971.:D

But, I'm afraid of sharing this in advance of my Full Open Era Rankings "episodes". I think they might diminish in quality.:p

·
Rankings Master
15,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have reconsidered the placement in advance.

You can now see 1970-1971 completely calculated and wonder at the events then. Specifically, the ending of 1971 is the closest YE #1 in Open Era history in my book and the only case where the decision goes very deep in the tiebreaking rules to establish the leader.

Also, in brackets at each year, you can see the ranking system employed and the method it was calculated with. For pre-1972 systems, the method is obviously proportional and is based on systems that followed later. For 1972-1973, the experimental rankings system used then is reconstituted into a better system serving as a transfer point between 1971 and 1974, but with the same proportions as the original in order to remain loyal to it as much as possible.

For each year I add, I will explain the method I used to reconstruct the ranking system. It's a big puzzle where many pieces are irrecoverable. The idea here is to replace them with copies as close to the original as possible.

Enjoy.:)

·
Your visions will happen
46,680 Posts
Well done, great work!

·
Rankings Master
15,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the appreciations.

I have deduced the main rule by which ATP decided which tournaments to count or not. And I'm 100% sure it's correct.

The tournaments ATP counted are those that were at the calendar year part of the Grand Prix or World Championship Tennis, or were part of either of these two rival tours in the past. It was ATP's scheme in order to get tournaments affiliated to these two tours and it worked. By 1977, only few remained.

So, now, starting with 1972, there will be a calendar attached in the OP, where you will see all the tournaments of that year and which tournaments count or not.:)

·
Super Moderator
62,002 Posts
Thanks for the appreciations.

I have deduced the main rule by which ATP decided which tournaments to count or not. And I'm 100% sure it's correct.

The tournaments ATP counted are those that were at the calendar year part of the Grand Prix or World Championship Tennis, or were part of either of these two rival tours in the past. It was ATP's scheme in order to get tournaments affiliated to these two tours and it worked. By 1977, only few remained.

So, now, starting with 1972, there will be a calendar attached in the OP, where you will see all the tournaments of that year and which tournaments count or not.:)
Fantastic work! :D That was a toughie, and you got past it :) Really impressive!

1 - 20 of 195 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.