Mens Tennis Forums banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Super Moderator
62,002 Posts
Is it possibly Ostend Challenger were simply removed after they discovered discrepancies? Like, someone doctored the results?

·
Rankings Master
15,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Is it possibly Ostend Challenger were simply removed after they discovered discrepancies? Like, someone doctored the results?
No. The tournament was clean, there were not discrepancies, the points were correct when they entered, everything looked fine, just like every other Challenger from that year.

·
Rankings Master
15,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
What is more interesting here and possibly leading into the previous Top 150 thing is that Bruno Oresar, the tournament winner counts it, and he counts it through the 1985 YE rankings. Only reason I see for this is that he remains in the Top 150. So, if this is not a mess-up from the ATP website, it's clearly a historic error when the ATP somehow parsed the Top 150 and the rest on different computer and failed to sync the data.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Good find mate. So do players like Darren Cahill, Eduardo Masso, David de Miguel and Simon Youl for instance, suffer a ranking or points discrepancy because of this mistake? They all played in Ostend in 1985 and finished the year inside or near the Top 150.

·
Rankings Master
15,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Good find mate. So do players like Darren Cahill, Eduardo Masso, David de Miguel and Simon Youl for instance, suffer a ranking or points discrepancy because of this mistake? They all played in Ostend in 1985 and finished the year inside or near the Top 150.
These are the only 6 players who count Ostend:

Bruno Oresar
Massimo Cierro
Simon Youl
David De Miguel
Darren Cahill
Eduardo Masso

Still more to go until I get to 1985's end to confirm all this.

·
Rankings Master
15,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Error lab keeps being busy.

A goddamn mess is what 1985 is, really. Since August, the ATP seems to have run 2 separate iterations, one for Top 150 clear of all errors, and one for the rest of the players, rarely or barely checked. Now, on Sep 16, introducing, differential stars awarded for a tournament. Thessaloniki Challenger gives 2 star rewards for Top 150, and 1 star for the rest. This was probably corrected later, but you can imagine how on Sep 16, Zivojinovic and Lundgren get 23 and 39 (extra 6 unknown), while Oosting and the rest get 1-Star points (like Oosting gets 5 pts for a QF). Now, I know the ATP website says Oosting got 8 pts here, it is why I think the error got eventually fixed.

·
Rankings Master
15,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Sorry for going a bit slow at this but the huge number of errors force me to do a preliminary on 1986 as well. So far it's going well, I have determined the extent of the 1985 errors, which got fixed on the official February 3, 1986 rankings.

Now, the errors included most players missing/dropping one or more of the following tournaments from their count: Tampere, Neu Ulm, Ostend and Messina. The error was not fixed by the time of the 1985 year end rankings, and more than that, the ATP website displays the wrong rankings as well, so there are basically 3 sets of rankings: mine (correct ones), ATP website version (incorrect version of incorrect rankings) and official version (incorrect as well).

Hopefully, I can pass through this quick enough, and if I do, expect both 1984-1985 to be on the website when I am done. Please have some more patience, there are some other periods in the area which will also be on the website soon as well. :nerd:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Marian,

I think the Bretton Woods event in 7/3/1972 was not part of the WCT and the prize money seems to be only 25K USD.

Look at this report:
https://mobile.nytimes.com/1972/07/08/archives/richey-stops-laver-at-bretton-woods.html

It would of course affect the tournament category (E instead of C), number of points and the rankings for a year.

And I suggest you place the South African Open in Johannesburg (3/27/1972) into category C. The prize money was very close to your limit (36K instead of 40K) and it belonged to the highest Grand Prix category, just below the three Grand Slam events.

And speaking of the three Grand Slam events in 1972, I would not put Roland Garros and Wimbledon into Category-A, because of the ban on WCT players this year.
The same should apply to the 1970 Roland Garros event, which was pretty much boycotted by the WCT.

In 1973 Wimbledon was not taken into account because of the ATP boycott. While the 1970 and 1972 boycotts were not of the same caliber, they still should influence the hypothetical computer point categories.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Marian,

I have some comments and suggestions for 1971.

I would add the Omaha event, which finished by Jan 31, to the calendar. It was the first event of the USLTA Winter Circuit, followed by Washington and Richmond the next week (you have these latter two events in your calendar). Omaha was a 16-draw event, but I do not know the prize money.
Look at this report:
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/63239220/

In 1971 the South American Open in Buenos Aires ended a week earlier (Nov 28) than in your calendar and rankings.
Look at this report:
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/15102015/

The Rothmans London event was played before the Australian Open and ended by Mar 3 (so I would consider it for the Mar 8 rankings)
Look at this report:
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/122100458/

Could you double-check that Nastase indeed won the Madrid event in May 9? As far as I know, Tiriac beat him in the final there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Marian,

OK, take your time. In the meantime I have a suggestion for 1970 as well.

Why do you leave out so many professional and WCT events from your calendar?
Maybe they did not have large draws, but you include Las Vegas with a 16-draw, and omit Vancouver in September, which also had a 16-draw. The 40K prize money for Vancouver was one of the highest that year.

·
Rankings Master
15,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Hi Marian,

OK, take your time. In the meantime I have a suggestion for 1970 as well.

Why do you leave out so many professional and WCT events from your calendar?
Maybe they did not have large draws, but you include Las Vegas with a 16-draw, and omit Vancouver in September, which also had a 16-draw. The 40K prize money for Vancouver was one of the highest that year.
The 1970 WCT must have 16-draws or more to be included. Vancouver was omitted simply because I did not have the full draw and I also thought it was 8-draw. Do you have a list of the 16-draw WCT tournaments that year? I'm gonna look for a Vancouver draw.

Regarding 1984-85, I got to the point now where I can start confirming the exact points of the 1985 error-full section. This will be tricky.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 1970 WCT must have 16-draws or more to be included. Vancouver was omitted simply because I did not have the full draw and I also thought it was 8-draw. Do you have a list of the 16-draw WCT tournaments that year? I'm gonna look for a Vancouver draw.
The 1970 Vancouver draw (alongside many other WCT events) is now on the ATP website.
Results Archive | ATP World Tour | Tennis

141 - 155 of 155 Posts