Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people here saying that Rafa's a lock for YE #1 after his Toronto win...I think he's in the best position to get it, but it's far from over. He's not playing Cincinatti so the gap will be much less after that, and who knows what will happen at USO where there's many points at stake. Not to mention the many tournaments post-USO where Rafa traditionally doesn't do as well in.

Take it one week at a time guys.

·
Bunned!
3,050 Posts
Did this really need its own thread though? Couldn't you have posted it in any of the other threads talking about YE #1?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Is he a lock? Of course not. But I’d say the chances of him ending the year #1 are more likely than not. I’d say 70% chance he ends up year end number 1

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
This YE#1 has huge legacy implications. Year end number one is the tennis equivalent of “winning” the tennis season. If Rafa wins this year, he ties Roger with the next couple years to pass him once and for all. If Roger wins this year, he ties Pete for most all time and puts himself 2 up over Rafa and likely out of reach for good.

A lot at stake for both players. I actually think this one is more important for Roger. It will almost certainly be his last chance to win a season, and if he wants to wrestle the GOAT title away from Rafa then he needs this.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
This YE#1 has huge legacy implications. Year end number one is the tennis equivalent of “winning” the tennis season. If Rafa wins this year, he ties Roger with the next couple years to pass him once and for all. If Roger wins this year, he ties Pete for most all time and puts himself 2 up over Rafa and likely out of reach for good.

A lot at stake for both players. I actually think this one is more important for Roger. It will almost certainly be his last chance to win a season, and if he wants to wrestle the GOAT title away from Rafa then he needs this.
No chance for Fraud. Djoker has a better shot than him, but hopefully GOATdal keeps it until the end of 2019 at least. I think even Zverev has a better shot than Fraud.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I think this but all seals the deal for Nadal.
This win was highly unexpected from most MTF. Even his diehard fans.
But this one is on the record books. He has a nice lead. Seems ok. Taking next Master off just to rest.

And not just to rest. Because he is also looking ahead to next year and a ton of points to defend from Monte Carlo forward.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts

No chance for Fraud. Djoker has a better shot than him, but hopefully GOATdal keeps it until the end of 2019 at least. I think even Zverev has a better shot than Fraud.
Fed needs to win Cinci to have any chance I would think. We will see.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts

Wrestle it away from Rafael Nadal?

Rafael Nadal would need to be have the title for it to be wrestled away with him. Federer is far superior as it stands.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If Djokovic or somehow Federer wins US Open, one of them will finish the year number 1 with the momentum imo. If they fail, Nadal will be year end no 1 comfortably regardless of his performance at US.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I really think the Rogers Cup win sealed the deal. I don't see either Djokovic or Roger going on a winning spree (i.e. winning USO and another/multiple Masters/WTF). Amazing to finish #1 at 31/32 consecutively.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Zverev has a far better shot of getting the year end #1 than either Federer or Djokovic. Not only is he ahead in the race, but also playing much better.

It mostly depends on how well Nadal plays for the rest of the season though. If he continues going deep in tournaments, the other players have no chance.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
He has a 2500 point lead on #2 (Zverev), which is huge at this point in the season. Unless he crashes out of the USO in the first or second round (with Zverev or Fed winning it) or gets injured, I'd say he's pretty much there even if he has mediocre results for the rest of the year. Obviously not a mathematical lock, but probably at like 90% to get it.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Yah the race is over.
2500 points is too much.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Many people here saying that Rafa's a lock for YE #1 after his Toronto win...I think he's in the best position to get it, but it's far from over. He's not playing Cincinatti so the gap will be much less after that, and who knows what will happen at USO where there's many points at stake. Not to mention the many tournaments post-USO where Rafa traditionally doesn't do as well in.

Take it one week at a time guys.
From your post I can't tell if you're a nervous fan, a polite detractor, or have never looked at a ranking list, or don't know how the rankings even work.

One week at a time is ridiculous in this case.

It's no longer close race with Fed and Rafa sometimes 100 points from each other. Rafa is almost 4,000 points ahead of Fed! USO is 2,000 points and Rafa is a fav at this point.
Those many tourns where Rafa doesn't do as well, he didn't do as well last year either--Paris, ATP finals; injured.
He won beijing and was a finalist Shanghai.
So far Rafa is doing even even better than he did last year, and it's not Fed who can catch him. Fed is not doing as well as last year, thus far.
No-one else is consistently hot enough to win the lion's share of points.
I thought after Wimb it might be djok but he sucked in Toronto and is now 7,000 points behind Rafa.
Delpo? No. Az? No.

There is no candidate to pass Rafa, failing injury.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Won't feel comfortable calling this until after the US Open but he's in a good position. Who would have thought after 2009 that he could possibly tie Federer in YE#1s!
Me, I did. I also thought he could win Toronto. I also think he can win a few more slams.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Wrestle it away from Rafael Nadal?

Rafael Nadal would need to be have the title for it to be wrestled away with him. Federer is far superior as it stands.
Wow! Darth Varderer! I have the wrong poster on ignore. I think I'll put you back on the threads, and ignore Burrow--who's in classic Fed denial mode 24/7 regardless of what takes place.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
From your post I can't tell if you're a nervous fan, a polite detractor, or have never looked at a ranking list, or don't know how the rankings even work.
We're talking about the race, not the rankings (which take into account last year's performances). Nadal is 2740 points ahead in the race, which could be almost completely erased by Federer winning Cincinatti and the USO, and Nadal going out in the QF at the USO. This isn't very likely to occur IMO, but it certainly isn't impossible. It's also not impossible for Djokovic to win Cincinatti and the USO, which could cut Nadal's lead to less than 1000 points.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts