Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roddick stopped play because he noticed there was water coming up from under the court.

Also, on camera there was huge crack a few feet back from the baseline that water was spilling through.

What a sight to see Roddick, Ferrer and Carlos Bernardes standing there kicking the court and watching the water bubble up.

What are they going to do to fix this? Sit a blow dryer over that spot? Cancel play on Armstrong?

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
There's a chance it could dry out if the sun stays out I suppose, but maybe not if its not getting direct sun.

There's practise courts free, get them to play there.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well on the coverage of that court. 14 people are standing around the crack discussing. Whilst one guy is on his knees with a towel. Hmm

·
Registered
11,291 Posts
CaroWozniacki Caroline Wozniacki
Problem with the Luis Armstrong court. Men going back out at 12.15. I will play after them..

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
I remember all the controversy when the USTA chose this site for the venue, but then everything seemed to go smoothly for some time and I thought the USTA was vindicated. Now it appears the people who thought building on the site of a former swamp/dump was folly were the ones with the long range view.

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
:confused:

How do covers prevent ground water from spilling onto the court?
There would be no ground water to spill onto the court
:facepalm:

I think so :)

·
Tsonga,Djokovic
1,982 Posts
US Drama Open:spit:

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
:confused:

How do covers prevent ground water from spilling onto the court?
because the water then drains off the covers into side drains, not slowly draining through the court then when the sun comes out and the heat makes the water that slowly drained under the court rise.

seriously there is no reason for not having covers and side drains.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
That's why it is suspended. I thought one of the players was injured instead it is the court.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
because the water then drains off the covers into side drains, not slowly draining through the court then when the sun comes out and the heat makes the water that slowly drained under the court rise.

seriously there is no reason for not having covers and side drains.
This. There is no reason whatsoever not to have covers. "Not good enough drainage"? Then improve or rebuild the drainage so shit like this doesn't happen. :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts