Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've heard it for years about Delpo's forehand, and now that Wawrinka is in with a chance of making a SECOND GS final in over a decade of tennis, the hype goes that "Peak Stan" can beat ANYONE in the world.

The same posters then agree that Stan can't play at that level consistently which is his only major downfall.

No f*cking sh*t.

Anyone in the Top 10 could hit their backhands and forehands at 100mph in every match if they wanted to, but then people like Djokovic would probably have just 1 slam, like Wawrinka. No one can keep that up for more than a string of matches, but anyone could play like that if there was no other option for success.

Wawrinka plays like this now, because he has ZERO chance of winning big matches if he doesn't. He has got a slam out of it, so well done, but Djokovic could have decided to play the same way as these big hitters, and would probably break his wrist on his way to a single slam career.

I think Djokovic would take 8 slams over some mythic "peak".

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
For these players it's a double edged sword, good chance of beating virtually everyone on your good day and losing to everyone on your bad one. But Delpo had a bit more consistency than Stan in Masters, because he could play less risky as well.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
It's just the usual case of MTF placing too much importance on hitting the ball hard. Peak Djokovic beats peak Wawrinka anywhere, anytime.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Peak del Potro really is a mythical beast that slays all though.

Peak Wawrinka yeah the hype is unwarranted.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,452 Posts
Peak Potro is quite scary to behold, though Godrinka isn't far behind him at all. Both are very easily two of the best players outside of the Big 4 when they play their best tennis, with Stronga and Soderling right there with them. Berdych, Ferrer, Nishikori, Raonic, Dimitrov and even Monfils don't really compare at all.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
del potro plays very defensively for someone with his weapons and only unleashes on some points, but some matches he says fuck it and ball bashes but that's quite rare. wawrinka tried to have variety but look where that got him nowhere, now he hits with more power he has improved a lot. I don't think the big 4 can play like them, yes they can hit hard but stan and delpo can hit even harder that's why they use different tactics when playing them opposed to trading massive blow for blow.

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
Mark Lenders still bitter trolling as usual :lol: Jamvol not far behind him either

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The most delusional thing Mark Lenders has ever said (besides stuff on Ferrer) is claiming Peak Del Potro's FH is better than Peak Federer's FH. :spit:

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
The most delusional thing Mark Lenders has ever said (besides stuff on Ferrer) is claiming Peak Del Potro's FH is better than Peak Federer's FH. :spit:
How so? Federer's forehand is the best forehand (and best shot leaving some servebot's serves like Isner's and Karlovic's) ever, but his consistency is a huge part of it. At their peak, del Potro or Gonzalez had a forehand as brilliant or even slightly better.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
We've heard it for years about Delpo's forehand, and now that Wawrinka is in with a chance of making a SECOND GS final in over a decade of tennis, the hype goes that "Peak Stan" can beat ANYONE in the world.

The same posters then agree that Stan can't play at that level consistently which is his only major downfall.

No f*cking sh*t.

Anyone in the Top 10 could hit their backhands and forehands at 100mph in every match if they wanted to, but then people like Djokovic would probably have just 1 slam, like Wawrinka. No one can keep that up for more than a string of matches, but anyone could play like that if there was no other option for success.

Wawrinka plays like this now, because he has ZERO chance of winning big matches if he doesn't. He has got a slam out of it, so well done, but Djokovic could have decided to play the same way as these big hitters, and would probably break his wrist on his way to a single slam career.

I think Djokovic would take 8 slams over some mythic "peak".
It's not easy, if not every guy in TOP 100 would have won a slam just mindlessly hitting the ball with power. Few players have a peak level as high as Wawrinka and del Potro, especially the latter. Yes, Djokovic would take 8 slams, as they would as well, or any other player. Nobody's denying that :rolleyes: But he's a better player. Aside from the big 4 nobody managed to win a slam apart from them and Cilic (Hewitt aside obviously, but you get the point).

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Peak Wawrinka lost to Nole at AO '13 :shrug:

Peak Delpo annihilated peak Dull at Shanghai 2013 (and 2009 USO too)

·
Registered
993 Posts
I think Djokovic fear most Stan than Murray, Stan in a good day will hit winners from everywhere and can outplay anyone, i mean this days don't appear every week but hope can happening here..

The average level of play of Delpotro is higher than Stan, but Stan in a good day is better than Delpo in a good day.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm going to call bull on this. There ain't any myths going on around here. Peak Wawrinka and peak Del Potro are total nightmares to play, no matter whether you are Djokovic or the #100 player in the world. Your right, anyone in the top 10 can hit 100 mph forehands, but so can the local club pro. Only Wawrinka and Delpo can harness that power as often as they do. Someone like Djokovic uses a lot more variety in his game and can hit his spots much more consistently, and has the ultimate stamina. He's literally the only guy in the world right now who can combine these aspects of the game at that high of a level.

The only way to beat Djokovic is to take the racket out of his hand (other than an of day: USO 2014), as Wawrinka did in AO 2014 and Tsonga did in Canada 2014. But, because Djokovic has such a great return of serve, you can't merely be a servebot like Isner or Raonic. You have to have an unbelievable ground game behind that great serve in order to really pressure a guy like Djokovic. No one on tour can do that but peak Wawrinka (and if they played at Delpo's peak, peak Del Potro, although Wimbledon 2013 was close, but not quite peak Delpo). And while Wawrinka and Del Potro are rarely at this level, when they are able to fire in serves and then hit winners from anywhere on the court, Djokovic is in major, major trouble. However, Wawrinka and Delpo have the ability to reach this level due to their physique (strong and big build, but not lanky and immobile like Isner and Raonic).

This physique is a blessing and a curse because it allows you to play at such a high level when, but it doesn't really allow for much improvisation in their games. So when your not there mentally isn't right (which I feel is the biggest issue with Wawrinka) or your game is hindered by injury (like Del Potro), there really isn't a back up plan other than to just hit the ball and see where it goes. I'll say this again, like I have on here before, to beat Djokovic you either have to play a red-line style game like Wawrinka and Del Potro play, or just hope for a really off day for Djokovic.

I hope this clears up for you why your post is a bunch of BS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts