Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Change every surface to one surface and one surface only.

Think about it for a second. Tennis is the only sport where the surface has a big impact on who wins certain tournaments. You can have players good on one surface then totally disappear on the next one.

Before you jump to conclusions I’ll be the first to tell you this is what makes tennis great, the fact that you have to master all the elements and surfaces of tennis to be truely the greatest.

However it means that a true goat will be agreed upon. There will always be a what if.

If say tennis decided it would go to only hard courts or grass or clay (whatever the highest power demands I would assume hard as it’s somewhere in the middle) then and only then would we be able to start measuring a goat.

If the surface remains the same at every tournament then there’s no advantages or disadvantages.

of course this would have to transfer to grass roots as well. If there’s only hard courts younger players would want to grow up practicing in that surface etc.

·
Your visions will happen
53,716 Posts
A true GOAT can compete on all surfaces in all conditions against many generations of players

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I think doing this would only make such a debate worse for future gens. I don't really compare eras or even interested in such debate but this type of discussion comes up and you hear "well so and so played on real grass back then " or "the courts are too similar now that's why baseliners are dominating" or "going to Australia never meant shit but if it did back then so and so would win this many titles.."

The sport evolved but going to one regulated surface would mean you would get even more people saying "well, he can do well on Hard but he never played on clay or grass "

Just wouldn't be a good idea to make the sport even easier for players to all play same and never have to adjust to a surface or court condition.

Also another thing to consider, is you would be forcing one gen to fit on only one surface and that could have bad consequences of players just quitting the game altogether.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
It is far more important to have diversity in tennis than to have no goat debate. Let the people debate if they wish so, even if it doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
One preposterous idea after the other. Don't you think you're putting the cart before the horse here? You want to radically change the game just to be closer (not even guaranteed, mind you) to the feasibility of measuring a fictional and completely irrelevant title. Seriously, you people have way too much free time.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Change every surface to one surface and one surface only.

Think about it for a second. Tennis is the only sport where the surface has a big impact on who wins certain tournaments. You can have players good on one surface then totally disappear on the next one.

Before you jump to conclusions I’ll be the first to tell you this is what makes tennis great, the fact that you have to master all the elements and surfaces of tennis to be truely the greatest.

However it means that a true goat will be agreed upon. There will always be a what if.

If say tennis decided it would go to only hard courts or grass or clay (whatever the highest power demands I would assume hard as it’s somewhere in the middle) then and only then would we be able to start measuring a goat.

If the surface remains the same at every tournament then there’s no advantages or disadvantages.

of course this would have to transfer to grass roots as well. If there’s only hard courts younger players would want to grow up practicing in that surface etc.
What is more important? Deciding who the GOAT is, or keeping tennis as it is and enjoying it!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
A true GOAT can compete on all surfaces in all conditions against many generations of players
But then there is the argument, more spread out vs being more dominant in one surface, or longevity vs concentrated winning in short period of time.

I see people bashing nadal often that he is only Clay, but he is much better at clay than roger or nole in any surface and we shouldnt forget it, it is both positive and negative at the same time. We also could say, how an specific goat cannot show extreme dominance in particular surface like Nadal does.

at the end of the day 4, 4 and 7 average 5, the same way that 4,8 , 5,2 and 5,0 do.
The only way you could phrase it negatively to Nadal was if he was never able to win at least one time in Wimbledon or on HC surfaces, but we know it is far from the truth.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The GOAT debate never started in the first play, it's still Laver at the top, there is no GOAT debate until someone wins at least 1 CYGS.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Pointless argument , no one will ever agree on a goat , ever . I think it's Nadal , someone else thinks it's Fed . Neither of us will ever change our mind .

·
Registered
349 Posts
Nice shifting of the goal posts, but this is a lie. And totally irrelevant to most people in the modern day.
Absolutely not, I understand you are a Nole fan and are heavily invested emotionally in him, but Big3 are irrelevant when compared to Laver, one just needs to leave bias aside for a moment.
I understand though, I was in the same boat before (all of us have been there really), I drank the kool aid about Big3 being the 3 best players of all time, media really brainwash us daily.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
But then there is the argument, more spread out vs being more dominant in one surface, or longevity vs concentrated winning in short period of time.

I see people bashing nadal often that he is only Clay, but he is much better at clay than roger or nole in any surface and we shouldnt forget it, it is both positive and negative at the same time. We also could say, how an specific goat cannot show extreme dominance in particular surface like Nadal does.

at the end of the day 4, 4 and 7 average 5, the same way that 4,8 , 5,2 and 5,0 do.
The only way you could phrase it negatively to Nadal was if he was never able to win at least one time in Wimbledon or on HC surfaces, but we know it is far from the truth.
Fyi, Novak sports a 6 finals in FO to 5 for Nadal at WB including more H2H wins at FO than Nadal has over Novak at WB so though Nadal has dominant H2H at RG, we could deduce Novak overall marginally better at FO than Nadal at WB.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
It keeps the non-serious casual fans occupied and helps sport with money making. We need it. We need the current stars to be "special".

Greatness is really all subjective. no, I am not saying this because Novak is now GOAT in stats. etc. Only fact is each of big three are one of GOATs. Amazing, amazing players.. They inspire other players, they inspire people.. the debate of how great a player is.. keeps the sport going.. fans, and all that. It might sound stupid..but these discussions have a positive side and a negative side.. I hate how ESPN like media makes GOAT in everything like greatest shot ever, greatest sweatband ever or whatever. But to discuss greatness based on how Pete used to serve, or how Roger used to play or how Nadal used to fight.. how Novak used to dominate.. these are all what carry the legacy of sport forward. Sport needs it.

Actually it is really good if we don't settle on one GOAT. And have several. it is great we have different surfaces adding more to it. It needs to be that way..

·
Registered
915 Posts
Let me get this straight, your idea is to end the thing that you say makes tennis great so that the discussion of who the greatest ever player is is somewhat easier to determine? Are you out of your mind?

Reactions: El Alto

·
Registered
469 Posts
Nope. It’s best to declare Novaxx Djokovid as the Goat.

That’s because we will admire his play (not).

It’s so boring no one cares.

Let me get this straight, your idea is to end the thing that you say makes tennis great so that the discussion of who the greatest ever player is is somewhat easier to determine? Are you out of your mind?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts