Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Re: Supplement to The Official PAW Rules

So keep the original rule, but scratch the part where only lower ranked players can use it.
Shouldn't we at least allow the conditional cancellation (not only the reversal) of a pick in addition to the original rule? Surely this isn't too complicated :shrug:

·
Registered
3,663 Posts

I think in that case you should send your pick by PM.
this will cause troubles, the manager can take advantage, and also he'll be always on suspicion (example: if my girlfriend or my friends play in the tournament I manage and succeed to earn place via PM some people might have doubts about the authenticity of their pick - of course I'll never do it ;) , but it's still possible. I think we don't need such spirits here in PAW

B) We shouldn't allow too many conditional elements in picks. I don't want picks like:

PAW12: Soderling def. Santoro
- if robus also picks this reverse the pick
- if Djokovic def. Federer cancel this pick
- if Rochus def. Haas cancel this pick
- if Nadal def. Youzhny, change it to Santoro def. Soderling
100% agree!

robuś;4975015 said:
Sorry but you might have been confused because of the mistake in the rule: letters A and B were swaped. The mistake has already been corrected.

From the quarterfinals, Player B at the lower position (in Ranking Table of given tournament) to Player A, can use the rule:
"I post pick: Ccccc over Ddddd
if Player A picks the same, reverse my pick to Ddddd over Ccccc".

So the "lower position" means lower ranking number (which also is a smaller number of points).

I still think this great idea will improve the game and it's fair enough!
Example:

player A - 100pts, 1 pick left,
player B - 99pts, 1 pick left,

player A picks AAXX
player B picks XXAA
a little bit later player A changes pick to XXAA

or the simple situation

player B picks XXAA
player A picks XXAA

if the new rule is in charge that'll never happen and the leading player have to choose right and not just pick the same as the player behind and win no matter what happens in the match (and that's important and in interest of the game!) because player B can use the right to pick reverse.
With this we'll avoid also 'small battles' for a pick with both players changing their picks again & again (although it's very funny ;) ).
And that's not a disadvantage to the leading player because he's the one who have a choice - player B can only hope his opponent will go wrong and (most likely) the outsider tennis player will win the match

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

Shouldn't we at least allow the conditional cancellation (not only the reversal) of a pick in addition to the original rule? Surely this isn't too complicated :shrug:
That's ok with me, so either reverse or cancel, those are the options.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts

I dont think conditional picks should be allowed, they show really poor gamesmanship.

picks are meant to be written player A over player B - there shouldnt be a story after each one.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts

I dont think conditional picks should be allowed, they show really poor gamesmanship.

picks are meant to be written player A over player B - there shouldnt be a story after each one.
I agree :)

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts

I agree, and I think there should also be a limit for changing your final pick, to avoid "personal battles". For example:

player A has 100 points, 1 pick left
player B has 99 points, 1 pick left

player A: XX def. YY
player B: YY def. XX
then player A: replace XX def. YY by YY def. XX
and so on...

I think there should be a rule stating that once your final pick has been posted, it cannot be changed/cancelled/replaced, unless of course, it's an invalid pick.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts

I agree, and I think there should also be a limit for changing your final pick, to avoid "personal battles". For example:

and so on...

I think there should be a rule stating that once your final pick has been posted, it cannot be changed/cancelled/replaced, unless of course, it's an invalid pick.

That's what i thought too.
That would be a good solution. :)

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

Everything what you're saying is true, but adding these rules will first of all: help to avoid "personal (pick changing) battles" just a moment before the beginning of the match, second of all: not everyone has the time to keep an eye on the opponents till the very last minute. The manager has to also check whether the "battle" wasn't still on at the beginning of the match and which last pick was valid.

and so on...

The idea is good, but the result may be pathetic. Awaiting till the last second, and later many problems involved with that, those who won't be able to keep an eye on oponents' picks - loose.
To sum up the subject - it shows that every person has a different opinion on that, so I'm starting to think I will vote against introducing any new rules related to that issue.

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts

robuś;4986683 said:
The idea is good, but the result may be pathetic. Awaiting till the last second, and later many problems involved with that, those who won't be able to keep an eye on oponents' picks - loose.
To sum up the subject - it shows that every person has a different opinion on that, so I'm starting to think I will vote against introducing any new rules related to that issue.
I still think it's better than leaving it the way it is. If the player wants to wait until the last second to post his final pick, it's up to him, and he will be aware of the risk he's running. This rule I proposed would make it much harder for posters to make conditional picks. And in my opinion, PAW is a game where you should make your decisions regardless of what your opponent picks.

Anyway, these are my 2 cents, the decision of course is up to you and the others. :wavey:

·
Registered
4,680 Posts

robuś;4974836 said:
It does say exactly the same in point 17.4. what you have just written in here.

You can do that only if you don't have any picks posted at the moment of the beginning of the 1st match (and further) of the tournament from which you want to withdraw.

(and further) - means you not only can't have any picks at the moment of the beginning of the first match of the tournament but in later matches as well.

It seems clear to me but if it isn't just tell me which part you don't understand.
No. It's not the same.
I mean that if a player post picks in a tournament in which he is commited to play (or asked for WC), he can't decide later to withdraw and play in another tournament.

According to your rule, a player is allowed to post picks at several tournaments simoultanousely, and later decide to withdraw from all but one of them, and as long as he makes his withdrawl before the start of the 1st match, it's OK. I want to avoid this situation.
A player should be responsible to know in which tournament he commited to play, and make sure before he post his first picks that he does it at the right tournament.
A player who post picks at a tournament confirms his intention to play in that tournament. There is no reason IMO that a player would switch tournaments after he posted picks.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts

I think picks conditional to other players pick should not be allowed.

Conditional picks may be allowed on the same player's picks, provided that the conditional match was concluded before the match which it is linked to.
I mean this:

Pick 1: A over B
If A wins: Pick 2: C over D
or
Pick 2: C over D
If A wins, cancel pick 2.
or
Pick 2: C over D
If A wins, replace pick 2: E over F

Those conditions can be allowed only if match 2 started after match 1 ended.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

No. It's not the same.
I mean that if a player post picks in a tournament in which he is commited to play (or asked for WC), he can't decide later to withdraw and play in another tournament.

According to your rule, a player is allowed to post picks at several tournaments simoultanousely, and later decide to withdraw from all but one of them, and as long as he makes his withdrawl before the start of the 1st match, it's OK. I want to avoid this situation.
A player should be responsible to know in which tournament he commited to play, and make sure before he post his first picks that he does it at the right tournament.
A player who post picks at a tournament confirms his intention to play in that tournament. There is no reason IMO that a player would switch tournaments after he posted picks.
There is a rule in:
PAW Rules point 17. Remember you can play just one PAW game at a time. Even when more than one tournament is run simultaneously, and there are PAW games for each of them, you must commit to one tournament.

Firstly as you can see there is already a rule that forbids playing in more than one tournament at the same time, secondly in my rule there is nothing that says you can play in many tournaments simultaneously and what's more it clearly points out you can not have any pick posted if you want to withdraw.

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts

I'll manage Valencia soon, and i still don't know how do we pick points for each match. Example:

Match Federer-Querrey (3-38)
can that be how manager wants, or are there some rules about it? could Cervantes have make it (3-39) or so?
Thank you :wavey:

·
Registered
320 Posts

How is the scoring points at the end of a Grand Slam??

Sorry but i don't found this in any thread...

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
41 - 60 of 183 Posts