Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These rules make matches fast-paced, exciting, fashionable, and futuristic. I can't see why they are just imposing these excellent rules on this special tournament only. I think some 250 tours need to embrace this new approach for the starter.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
No, no, no, no and NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Please don't destroy this beautiful and great game with this abomination in order to cater to popcorn fair-weather ignorant audience that has no clue about the game.

Tennis draws more than enough interest as is, it is a world wide phenomenon and one of the most popular sports. Sponsors are pouring and there is more money in the sport and is more popular then ever. So why ruin it like this.

:no:

No. No. No. No. and NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

·
Registered
21,282 Posts

Please don't destroy this beautiful and great game with this abomination in order to cater to popcorn fair-weather ignorant audience that has no clue about the game.

Tennis draws more than enough interest as is, it is a world wide phenomenon and one of the most popular sports. Sponsors are pouring and there is more money in the sport and is more popular then ever. So why ruin it like this.

Wow for once something sensible

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts

I agree!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think I will stop watching tennis if they dare apply these stupid rules, especially the shorter sets, no ad scoring and no let rule to professional singles matches. Juniors or Next Gen Finals are enough places to experience new (and stupid) things like that. Don't make me watch these shits in a slam final.

·
Registered
956 Posts
One of the most exciting games I ever recall was the 3rd game of the 2011 US Open final. That went on and on and one, ad-deuce-ad-deuce-ad-duece....until finally Djokovic broke back. That game was just timeless beauty.

Can you imagine not experiencing those kind of epic games? The sport is fine, don't change too much.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
If I understand the OP correctly, he was suggesting it might apply at ATP 250 events, not to bigger events and certainly not to slams. Is it worth trying at a few 250 events? I'm not sure, but it is at least a valid question because I don't think these events are currently all that successful and maybe it would bring in a different audience.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Except this 4-games sets format and no-ad rules I agree with it.

Live Hawk-eye is awesome, ATP should implement it as fast as they can on main courts during ATP events.
The other great thing is that players if wants to get a towel, they have to walk for it themselves, ballboys are not treated as footmen.
I also like no-let rule, it makes the play smoother and player coaching, because you can hear interesting things.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The one rule I really wish they would employ is getting rid of ad scoring.

Sorry. Long deuce games detract from the flow of the match, for me. A lot of drama would be placed on that initial Deuce. And slightly faster-paced matches/less tennis means less injuries.

I think multiple deuces are a bore.

I also like what they're doing with 12-12 in the 5th set coming up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
One should differentiate. All these rules are not a package, especially the different scoring system only seems to steal attention from other more useful changes.

Hawk Eye Live should be a no-brainer, why would tournaments that pay for hawk-eye anyway also pay for additional line judges that only falsify results? And lots of awkward situations created by the Challenge system + line judges would disappear as well (the risk of stopping mid-point to challenge, bad umpire calls whether a call affected play, tactical challenges would disappear, ...).
Of course line judges can still be used on non-hawkeye courts like outside courts at HC and grass tournaments and maybe all clay courts.

Personally I also like the no-let rule, I'd guess that most service lets only barely change the trajectory of the ball. Yes, there will be the odd unlucky "drop-shot", but you have them during play as well. Furthermore, the rule significantly speeds up play because most players tend to take a lot of time to get new balls after lets.

·
justice for all
13,137 Posts
ATP next generation finals is a laboratory for testing some innovations where main purpose is to speed up the game in order to better monetize it in mainstream media and in consequence make tennis more popular.

The objective itself is certainly worthwhile but unfortunately most of those novelties cannot be applied without destroying the soul and the heritage of the game.

Without going into more detail I think live hawk-eye is the one which is totally uncontroversial and should be installed asap. No towels is OK too and it has nothing to do with the game itself, so that one's fine too.

No deuces and no lets are dubious to say the least as first ruins the drama and second makes the game more random.

But the most terrible idea of all is the fast 4 format. That one would completely destroy the heritage of the game - all the records would need to be erased in the new format and it would completely change the dynamics of the game favouring much more the big servers.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'd like to see the no let rule implemented. It adds a certain factor of luck in the tennis match which can make the things more interesting. Other than that, shot clock and no line judges are definitely improvements. That would mean a reasonably fast match and also secure that judges don't make silly mistakes, which can cost players points and which also slows down the game because of Hawkeye challenges.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
And if the so-called fast hardcourts on ATP Tour were as fast as the court in Next Gen Finals it would be also appreciated. Thanks to it, we can see a lot of net play, really refreshing.

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
No. And this coming from someone who actually bought tickets to this years' event (I happen to be in Milan at the time).
Automatic line call is good. 4 games per set is a nice setting for us rec players in order to squeeze more into one hour of tennis per slot. The rest of it (let rule, no ad, coaching) I really do not like.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
There are some special morons in the game.

Yes, the game needs more randomness and more sets decided by a few points in tiebreakers... Yes, we also need more robots replacing mere humans..

At the end of the day there is a very simple explanation as to why they came up with this crap : Greed.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts