Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since we've been having so much fun in Sawan's thread I thought it was only fair to have a similar-or rather opposite- thread with Nadal's refreshing "honesty" as compared to the Ego King's arrogance. As always the clay season brought out the best in Nadal, who's delighted us with such gems as :

Q. You have dominated the play circuit in Europe, you know, tremendously, and at this point going back for really like a third year of playing so well, is it -- what is left for you to do there? Is it your attitude that gee, I just have to do this again or is it brand-new all over?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, if I think I have to do the same again another year, so it's going to be very, very hard for me similar to that, no? If I find my best tennis, I'm going to have a chance for have a good clay season; if not, I don't have a good clay season.
With of course the instant classic :

Q. Why do you say you're not the favorite, to convince us or yourself?
RAFAEL NADAL: I said just because I believe it and I'm not gonna say anything more. It's just that I think the No. 1 is always the favorite.
Q. And who is No. 1 on the clay court for you?
RAFAEL NADAL: Last year it was me. For the moment it's going fine for me, but we'll see at the end of season.
But of course, as we all know Nadal's not just great during the clay season :
Q. What does this match mean to you and what does it show you about how far you might go here at Wimbledon?
RAFAEL NADAL: Oh, I need go day to day, no? I need think about Labadze now, this match. Gonna be a difficult match, sure. He's playing well and he's a dangerous player. He play tough. He has a good serve. So gonna be difficult, no?
Feel free to add any other quotes you like.

PS this is not a bashing thread, it was done merely for fun (and to show how hard it is for players to find the right balance during interviews) :angel:

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
you know , i think the same, at the very first i tought wow what a nice and humble kid but then he seems like a robot, always saying the same and kinda like he does not think so,just he is being formal. he could play against Benjamin Becker on clay and still say i am not the fav, i think if plays my best i have some chances , no? but i could lost too he is a great player, difficult ,good forehand good serve good mover,haha.

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
Rafa, your next opponent is Benjamin Becker. What are your thoughts on him?

"He is a very good player, no? He beat Llodra 7-6, 7-6, Vliegen 7-5, 6-4. So he is playing veeery, veeerry good, no? I will have to play my best."

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rafa, you next opponent is Benjamin Becker. What are your thoughts on him?

"He is a very good player, no? He beat Llodra 7-6, 7-6, Vliegen 7-5, 6-4. So he is playing veeery, veeerry good, no? I will have to play my best."
:lol: I thought you were only joking when you mentionned it in the other thread ! Hilarious quote

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
:lol: I thought you were only joking when you mentionned it in the other thread ! Hilarious quote
I was joking:lol: :lol: :lol: I used Becker because ReturnWinner just used his name:lol:

When Rafatards are going to throw mud, they need to consider that their player isn't exactly the Winston Churchill of responses.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
When Rafatards are going to throw mud, they need to consider that their player isn't exactly the Winston Churchill of responses.
The responses here are ALMOST as juvenile as Double 'O' Ego complaining that the "Hawk-Eye" was out to get him at Wimbledon, a la, Hal from 2001 a Space Odyssey.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The responses here are ALMOST as juvenile as Double 'O' Ego complaining that the "Hawk-Eye" was out to get him at Wimbledon, a la, Hal from 2001 a Space Odyssey.
Dubai this year anyone?! "I wish we could have hawk-eye on clay, no?! Then we could see that hawk-eye is wrong, no?"

(Regarding that challenge Misha got right at Dubai)

Nice guy is one thing. But when you cross the 60 + record on a surface, it gets increasling tough to believe in "I am not the fav, no?!"

To me, Rafa should send a tape recorder with pre- recorded standard anwers to the press conference. "I played aggressive with my forehand, no?!" "I try hundred percent" "hardcourts are bad for the body, no".

Reactions: A_Skywalker

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Well it is funny to hear him say that but he is just a young guy making sure to cover his tracks and yes it would be nice to hear his true thoughts but he is a tennis player and I think for someone like him having to give interviews in English he is playing a dangerous game if he wavers from his script because he is not perfeclty fluent.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well it is funny to hear him say that but he is just a young guy making sure to cover his tracks and yes it would be nice to hear his true thoughts but he is a tennis player and I think for someone like him having to give interviews in English he is playing a dangerous game if he wavers from his script because he is not perfeclty fluent.
His interviews in spanish are sort of the same, no?!

I gotta give credit to him, though, with the famous ass thing and that reply about him saying he wouldnt play doubles with Soderling!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts