Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is the most influential player in last 20 years?

• Agassi

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • Sampras

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • Federer

Votes: 28 29.5%
  • Lendl

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Muster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Courier

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • someone else (please write who)

Votes: 4 4.2%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I vote for Agassi.

He was the only baseliner among top players in era of serve-volley. Agassi was beating all of them on all surfaces. He showed that baseline game is not suitable only for clay, but for hard court too...

Today, powerful baseliners are dominating (Nadal, DJokovic, Davydenko, Nalbandian, Roddick,...). Federer is not typical baseliner - he has great volleys and attacks net whenever it makes sense. But he wouldn't be so successful if he didn't have great baseline game as well, especially huge forehand.

Serve-volley game is doomed (Karlovic, Stepanek,...).

Agassi's heritage rules.

What do you think?

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Where is Becker, Edberg, Goran from the old crew, Rafa and Nole from teh new guns..

Awful thread......

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is Becker, Edberg, Goran from the old crew, Rafa and Nole from teh new guns..

Awful thread......
There is not enough space for everyone in poll. But you can name anyone and explain it.

(I didn't put all typical serve-volley players (Becker, Edberg, Ivanisevic) in poll because Sampras is already there and he is the best among them.)

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Hard to quantify things like this. I think Courier will not get many votes butit is good you put him in the poll. He was very influential with his use of the inside out FH and it shouldn't be forgotten.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
most influential = agassi.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hard to quantify things like this. I think Courier will not get many votes butit is good you put him in the poll. He was very influential with his use of the inside out FH and it shouldn't be forgotten.
True. Also his fitness and stamina can be added, considering Nadal today.

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
Agassi

whenever you ask young unknown people in Germany which tennis player they know Agassi is often the only one they can name

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I'd include McEnroe in the list. He was still playing 20 years ago, and he's more of a household name than all of the others in the poll apart from Agassi and perhaps Sampras.

*edit* to the Americans and Brits I should say. I've no idea how these players are viewed on the continent, South America, Asia, etc.

·
Banned
2,741 Posts
Federer.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
There is not enough space for everyone in poll. But you can name anyone and explain it.

(I didn't put all typical serve-volley players (Becker, Edberg, Ivanisevic) in poll because Sampras is already there and he is the best among them.)
Being the best is certainly not same the same as most influential. Besides, as a pure serve & volleyer Edberg was better than Sampras, it was Sampras´ other qualities that made him a more complete, and succesful player.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I voted for Federer. Even though i think i should have voted for someone else in terms of "influential" degree, since roger has only been in the limelight in the last 5-7 years. I"m sure though for the next decade of tennis, Federer will definitely be the most influential.

Meanwhile, after reading everyone's thoughts. I guess Agassi not only in terms of playing style, but incredible longevity(aka playing in many mini eras) will give him that edge of being very influential in the past 20 years.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts