Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
External factor expert
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I want to say I missed every single one of you. I’m glad for having this privilege again to share my knowledge.

Everyone must be talking about the bagels, especially in Murray’s case, I for one am starting to get used to see Murray trashed , so that’s one subject I’m going to avoid.

I want to share my view on what really went on during Djokovic – Dolgolpov match. This is by far one of the most convincing wins in Djokovic career, perhaps even in tennis history.

I’m going to walk you through this match.

First set:

We start on 2-2 (15-40), 2 breakpoints for Dolgy. Djokovic had no intention of taking this game nor set. What gave this obvious act away you would ask? Djokovic had one of those “awkard” slips during 15-40, hoping Dolgy could execute and take the lead. Funny thing is Dolgy messed up big time gifting Djokovic the point. (30-40) Once Djokovic realized he literally had to give Dolgy the breaks, the unforced errors accumulated.

Right after Dolgy took the lead 3-2, Djokovic had break chances of his own, sending a clear message to the opponent that he can break whenever he wants.
What better way than to break you opponent when he’s serving for the set? That’s right Djokovic breaks at 5-4 confirms my theory once again. Sadly Djokovic is far from done mocking the poor opponent. Not only did Djokovic break back at 5-4, he also received a penalty gifting Dolgy (15-0) to start the game. The message was clear, not even external factors can help Dolgy win this match.

As we were heading towards the tiebreak I thought surely play time is over, Djokovic is going to wrap this up and prepare for the upcoming match. Boy was I wrong, Dolgy leading 5-1 in the tiebreaker could only mean one thing, Djokovic was prepared to go all the way.

2nd set:

If I remember correctly Dolgy had break chances to extend the lead 4-0, could have served for 5-0. What happened? Djokovic simply decided to pull the trigger, winning 13/15 of the following games.

According to my analyse this was probably one of the most if not the most convincing victory in tennis history.
Some of you may give me examples of 6-0 6-0 matches, but its not the same as gifting your opponent the match on a plate, boosting his confidence only to take it apart afterwards.

If by any chance some of you still doubt whether Djokovic held back or not, then please explain the passive celebration. This was either the most convincing win or the luckiest one, to me, Djokovic looked convinced as if everything went according to plan.

Do you agree, if not whats the most convincing win in your book ?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
55,549 Posts
Dolgopolov really fell apart in the third in a rather strange way. Hardly got his first serve in (36%) and made a lot of sloppy errors to quickly give Djokovic the lead. Of course Dolgo's 2nd serve had been the weak point in every set, winning under 50% of them, but especially so here (won 2/9 in third). I noticed he didn't quite prep himself for each point in the 3rd. But prior to starting the third, he got his foot looked at (blisters). So perhaps he was hampered physically. That might explain the subdued celebration from Djokovic as he knew he had escaped quite a tricky situation (even if he was confident he had the chance to break back when Dolgo served for it, he knew how close he was to an exit).

For me, Djokovic's most convincing win is against Ferrer 6-4, 6-2 in QF Shanghai 2014, right after Ferrer had dismissed Murray in the previous round. He gave Ferrer no breathing room whatsoever and Ferrer was hanging on by a thread in the rallies (although the quick court helped) and to me this match showed how outclassed Ferrer truly was against Djokovic, who was just playing his normal game. I choose this over the 6-0 6-2 Beijing final vs Berdych, because although underpowered, Ferrer doesn't give you anything much for free and makes players work for the points.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Yoda not only knows best, Yoda is the best!

Welcome.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Welcome back, Yoda! :wavey:

·
Banned
923 Posts
:spit: is this a joke? Djokovic was 100% set on tanking this match until Dolgo got injured.

·
External factor expert
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:spit: is this a joke? Djokovic was 100% set on tanking this match until Dolgo got injured.
He was partialy tanking this match yes, until he pulled the trigger, sending a message no matter the circumstances Djokovic will prevail, thats why in my book this is the most convincing win in tennis history.

Welcome back, Yoda! :wavey:
Thanks its good to be back.

Yoda not only knows best, Yoda is the best!

Welcome.
Thanks, lets hope for a long stay here so we can expand the Djokovic base.

Dolgopolov really fell apart in the third in a rather strange way. Hardly got his first serve in (36%) and made a lot of sloppy errors to quickly give Djokovic the lead. Of course Dolgo's 2nd serve had been the weak point in every set, winning under 50% of them, but especially so here (won 2/9 in third). I noticed he didn't quite prep himself for each point in the 3rd. But prior to starting the third, he got his foot looked at (blisters). So perhaps he was hampered physically. That might explain the subdued celebration from Djokovic as he knew he had escaped quite a tricky situation (even if he was confident he had the chance to break back when Dolgo served for it, he knew how close he was to an exit).

For me, Djokovic's most convincing win is against Ferrer 6-4, 6-2 in QF Shanghai 2014, right after Ferrer had dismissed Murray in the previous round. He gave Ferrer no breathing room whatsoever and Ferrer was hanging on by a thread in the rallies (although the quick court helped) and to me this match showed how outclassed Ferrer truly was against Djokovic, who was just playing his normal game. I choose this over the 6-0 6-2 Beijing final vs Berdych, because although underpowered, Ferrer doesn't give you anything much for free and makes players work for the points.

Exellent analyse, truly marvelous to read. Ferrer who basically has the same game as Djokovic, only shorter, less power with poor execution is nothing more than a punching bag in this matchup, Berdych on the other hand has the ability to hurt Djokovic or any player for that matter, so in this sence the finals was more impressive, preventing Berdych from using those weapons, rather than shutting down an opponent who doesnt have any.

I apreciate your opinion, but again it depens whether you like a straight slaughter or opponent realising he was never in control of the match, no matter the condition he couldnt have pulled it anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts