Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I believe Zverev refused to answer any questions from Rothenberg. I'm sure Rothenberg has his panties all in a bunch because of this. No significant male tennis player takes this guy seriously.

The media does not like Zverev. Listen to the episode of The Tennis Podcast that just dropped. I'm on minute 17 out of 56 and they haven't talked about any actual tennis thus far. It's been 17 minutes of Zverev bashing. What a waste of time. There are so many great things they could be talking about right now instead, but no. The media is truly disgusting.

Very bad people.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I hate that many journalists have a holier-than-thou attitude. Journalism in general has deteriorated in the past decades.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I hate that many journalists have a holier-than-thou attitude. Journalism in general has deteriorated in the past decades.
Indeed, in all spheres. They want to set courses of things and be main roles where they should be "just" unbiased informers and researchers. Everybody wants to be famous, but most choose the wrong kind of attention.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You can call him a defensive player etc...but questioning his masculinity?
Clearly there is some personal feeling from this 'journalist'.

View attachment 357224
To be honest, this is nothing compared to what is considered just regular talk here on MTF. Rothenberg is a journalist, yes, but in the digital age, that doesn't mean what it used to anymore. Journalism has deteriorated, for starters. But more importantly, anyone with a keyboard can voice their opinions on public platforms now.

If any player were to stumble upon MTF (and since this is the largest online tennis forum apart from Reddit, so it's not that hard), they would see stuff here that would easily be construed as defamation in court.

So seeing the OP opening the thread is a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, I'm glad, because it shows even MTF knows it is not okay to throw slanderous statements around publicly. On the other hand, it's a bit thin to try and think "but he's a journalist, man, he crossed the line, we are just regular people here so we can say whatever the hell we want". This is a public platform, accessible to anyone so this is definitely a double standard there, condemning Rothenberg to post stuff like that on Twitter but being okay with what has been going on on this forum for one and a half decades, brushing it off along the lines of "lol, gtfo snowflake lmfao, this is MTF".

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
To be honest, this is nothing compared to what is considered just regular talk here on MTF. Rothenberg is a journalist, yes, but in the digital age, that doesn't mean what it used to anymore. Journalism has deteriorated, for starters. But more importantly, anyone with a keyboard can voice their opinions on public platforms now.

If any player were to stumble upon MTF (and since this is the largest online tennis forum apart from Reddit, so it's not that hard), they would see stuff here that would easily be construed as defamation in court.

So seeing the OP opening the thread is a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, I'm glad, because it shows even MTF knows it is not okay to throw slanderous statements around publicly. On the other hand, it's a bit thin to try and think "but he's a journalist, man, he crossed the line, we are just regular people here so we can say whatever the hell we want". This is a public platform, accessible to anyone so this is definitely a double standard there, condemning Rothenberg to post stuff like that on Twitter but being okay with what has been going on on this forum for one and a half decades, brushing it off along the lines of "lol, gtfo snowflake lmfao, this is MTF".
yeah, was thinking the same. And to be fair it is twitter, so what quality would people expect from a live feed?
I don't think Ben would be nearly as blunt in an actual "piece".

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I honestly feel sorry for Zverev.

He has never said a bad word about anyone else. Never expressed homophobic views, or that women should get paid less than men etc.

He is a bit bitchy after bad losses, and compliments himself every now and then.
Yet people hate on him constantly.

The same type of behaviour in a female player would be received very differently. They'd call her a 'sassy queen' or something.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Ben is a public figure. Players can see that it is actually him tweeting these things. In fact certain players don't answer him or give him short answers in press conferences because of this .

Players don't care what Gastonfan2070 have to say. It's not the same.
That is not how defamation works. The law doesn’t differentiate between public figures and civilians.

By definition: “Generally, defamation is a false and unprivileged statement of fact that is harmful to someone's reputation, and published "with fault," meaning as a result of negligence or malice. State laws often define defamation in specific ways. Libel is a written defamation; slander is a spoken defamation.”

If a player wanted to, he would go after several members here and would absolutely have a claim. Players here are regularly likened to pigs and called a disgrace, labelled as cheaters and dopers etc. In fact, the doping allegations alone would be plenty enough for a case.

So no, it doesn’t matter that MTF members are civilians and Rothenberg is a public figure. What matters is that MTF is a public platform that can be accessed by anyone therefore any statements made here are construed as statements made in public.

“Online public forums may be used by people as a platform to post, to the public at large, nasty comments about other individuals and / or businesses. Such posts can have the potential to cause serious reputational damage.

It is important to remember that postings on social media and online public forums are not immune to defamation law.

Broadly speaking, defamation occurs where an insinuation arises from a statement made which, in the eyes of an ordinary reasonable person, lowers the defamed person’s reputation or is likely to lead someone to think less of the defamed person. A person who successfully establishes a defamation claim may be entitled to damages.”

1 - 20 of 98 Posts