Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 529 Posts

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
After parting ways with Tony, Fed wanted to find a new coach after Wimbly. Well, Wimbly is over so get all your rumors in here. :)

I am actually very interested in his choice because that choice may well be the difference between less than 15 slams and 15+ slams with an FO thrown in. :p

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
Re: Who will be Fed's new coach?

I'm going with Cahill as the choice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,237 Posts

Was it true that he wanted Cahill in '05 but had to settle for Roche?

I hope he could get Cahill. Maybe that would be the coach who could drive him to RG glory.;)

·
Registered
4,922 Posts

i dont know if cahill is the best choice to coach roger.

if i could choose anyone. its paul anacone. Anacone was able to help pete sampras during his most difficult times and was able to convey useful advice to a very stubborn champion. Federer is no different to sampras in the way they approach matches. They both want to play one way and one way only. Fed is probably more tactical and more aware of the opponent than pete was.

anacone also seems to be very laidback and this will suit roger. anacone wrote an article for tennis magazine and i was very impressed with his insight into the mind of champions(pete) and into federer's mindset and game cahill seems to be a coach who can instill professionalism and help with off court training. i dont think roger needs this.

fed needs a coach who is well-versed in the mental aspect as well as the tactical. Anacone is a no-brainer for me. He is like a professor.

tony roche seemed to be coach who could improve technique. As roger ages, this part will not be as important.

·
Registered
449 Posts

cahill as well but I think he doesnt want to coach Roger :confused:

·
Registered
3,134 Posts

Whoever he is, he'd better to come up with a realistic game plan against Nadal. Crippled Misha and Joker are able to take sets off him, but rested and healthy, but scared Fed provides such a drama on his favorite surface. It's annoying.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts

Roger said in one of his Wimbledon pressers that he would like to S&V a lot more but didn't think he would win as much if he did. I hope he's willing to choose someone who will be honest with him and someone who will push him hard to get to net more. Anyone who will tell him over and over again to get rid of this determination to beat Nadal from the baseline.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts

Roger said in one of his Wimbledon pressers that he would like to S&V a lot more but didn't think he would win as much if he did. I hope he's willing to choose someone who will be honest with him and someone who will push him hard to get to net more. Anyone who will tell him over and over again to get rid of this determination to beat Nadal from the baseline.
its not that simple just to come to net. Roger can beat nadal from the baseline but he needs to realize the way to do it. he cant kamikaze the net...he will get killed.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

I disagree on this part against anyone else this tactic works but against Rafa it doesnt. The surfaces dont play like they used to, just see how much Tiger Tim gets passed when he plays against Rafa, and he IMO has the best volleys on the mens circuit.

I am not saying that he shouldnt volley at all, but he needs to do it very carefully as Rafa has some of the most mindblowing passing shots from any position on court. What Roger needs is a coach who instills belief and fire in him, you can hear it in his interviews but I feel he really needs to assert it on court. There was a time when players used to fear playing him, now I feel it has shifted, mainly due to his demeanour. He doubts himself and his shots, and doesnt look as confident as he was say in 2004.

I personally still really like Lungren, he exudes his passion openly and he has a good flair for the game.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts

Federer showed how to attack the net in the modern game at the Australian Open of all places. He attacked the net wonderfully the entire tournament there. Despite not having his serve, the rest of his game was on full display. Flattened strokes taken early followed by forays into net.

Simply put, Federer is afraid of going to net against Nadal because of the ridiculous passing shots Nadal hits. Federer's favorite approach is the FH DTL to a right-handed player's BH. This shot goes to Nadal's FH and Nadal comes up with crazy winners with it. Therefore you have Fed's favorite approach neutralized. He had some good approaches today but Nadal came up with crazy winners. If you look at the stats, Federer won the last set and only came to net 2 or 3 times. Fed has great hands at net and I have seen him every type of volley imaginable. The problem is that he doesn't cover the net all that well (something he admitted to when first working with Roche) and doesn't have great net instincts of where the ball is going on the passing shot. He hesitates and on important points doesn't trust himself or fully believe in himself at net.

Fed showed how to beat Nadal from the baseline in Shanghai where he controlled the points with his FH. He was NOT pushed around like he was today and he returned serve at lot better. Very few dumps into net and weak returns where Nadal's 1st FH would pummel the ball and run Federer from side-to-side. He was also successful in Hamburg by taking the FH early band being aggressive with it. Pushing the ball like he did will earn him losses on all surfaces.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts

Simply put, Federer is afraid of going to net against Nadal because of the ridiculous passing shots Nadal hits. Federer's favorite approach is the FH DTL to a right-handed player's BH. This shot goes to Nadal's FH and Nadal comes up with crazy winners with it. Therefore you have Fed's favorite approach neutralized. He had some good approaches today but Nadal came up with crazy winners. If you look at the stats, Federer won the last set and only came to net 2 or 3 times. Fed has great hands at net and I have seen him every type of volley imaginable. The problem is that he doesn't cover the net all that well (something he admitted to when first working with Roche) and doesn't have great net instincts of where the ball is going on the passing shot. He hesitates and on important points doesn't trust himself or fully believe in himself at net.
Well, tell me who really does have great instincts at the net? It seems to me, it is more of a guessing game once you get up there. You either cover the right shot or you dont.It's especially tough with Nadal because he disguises his passing shots so well. Federer seemed to cover the net pretty well yesterday, though. He was passed on a number of times, yes, but he also made some tremedous shoe string drop volleys.
I do agree with you that he doesn't believe in his volleying. He can be indecisive up there at times, and you cant afford to do that against Nadal.
I would love for Roger to come to the net alot more, because I think its a great weapon that he has, but it just isn't practical anymore, not even on grass. With the slower conditions and the newer raquets, guys just pass to well to come in alot. I mean, why would Federer change a winning formula. When he was a younger player he used to serve-volley and come in a lot more, but the results weren't there obviously. I think it will be interesting to see how he plays at the Open. Thats one tournement, that I believe you can still be agressive and come to net.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts

I'm going with Cahill as the choice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think Cahill would be a good coach, but I prefer him in the commentary booth to be honest. ;) :)

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts

tennis2tennis posted the following on GM:

Roger’s dad Robert was on swiss radio sdf this morning he said that roger has someone in mind, but the person has stopped coaching for quite a time, He said he’s not going to name the person roger is pursuing because it wouldn't be fair.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I have heard rumors that Steffi's former coach may be a likely candidate. He is supposed to be a no nonsense type of guy. Anyone know more about him?

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts

Well, tell me who really does have great instincts at the net? It seems to me, it is more of a guessing game once you get up there. You either cover the right shot or you dont.It's especially tough with Nadal because he disguises his passing shots so well. Federer seemed to cover the net pretty well yesterday, though. He was passed on a number of times, yes, but he also made some tremedous shoe string drop volleys.
I do agree with you that he doesn't believe in his volleying. He can be indecisive up there at times, and you cant afford to do that against Nadal.
I would love for Roger to come to the net alot more, because I think its a great weapon that he has, but it just isn't practical anymore, not even on grass. With the slower conditions and the newer raquets, guys just pass to well to come in alot. I mean, why would Federer change a winning formula. When he was a younger player he used to serve-volley and come in a lot more, but the results weren't there obviously. I think it will be interesting to see how he plays at the Open. Thats one tournement, that I believe you can still be agressive and come to net.

For the most part, going to net is very difficult now because opponents (especially Nadal) can hit winners from 10 feet behind the baseline with the ball 8 inches off of the ground. There are very few players with good net instincts right now, but to have the right type of mentality up there, you simply have to be up there at net a lot. If Fed had stuck with S+V, he would be a lot better at net, but wouldn't have any of the Slam titles (most likely).

I've watched Federer in person and judging by his look on court, he hates nothing more than to be passed at net as it sems he's being shown up. When he walks back towards the baseline after being passed, you see this different look on his face. Then you add the crazy passing shots that Nadal comes up with and it becomes even more discouraging.

Something different that Federer should think about doing is flattening out some of his approaches. Blake does it and gets easier volleys to hit at net. The problem is that the flat approach is not a natural shot for Federer, especially the one DTL that he loves.

·
Registered
612 Posts

Playing from the baseline isn't the problem. The problem is the return. Federer has to attack Nadal's serve instead of chipping a lot of returns back. Nadal kills those kind of returns. That's the reason why Federer didn't break Nadal's serve from 2-0 in the first until 2-2 in the fifth. Absolutely ridiculous with the talent Roger has.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

I posted on this thread on GM Mon. am that Steffi coach came to mind. He coached her throughout her career, and he has 2 key features Tony lacked & that prob. helped doom the relationship. He lives nearby not half a world away - presumably, as he's Swiss - & I suspect wouldn't have outside commitments. I think Roger would prefer to steer clear of that again if possible. Annacone works w/LTA & Cahill w/both espn & Aussie DC, which pretty much disqualifies him timewise. I strongly suspect Roger wants someone to be avail. when he needs them. Also, there's the sticky problem that Djoker is adding either AA or Sampras to his team as a mentor.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts

Playing from the baseline isn't the problem. The problem is the return. Federer has to attack Nadal's serve instead of chipping a lot of returns back. Nadal kills those kind of returns. That's the reason why Federer didn't break Nadal's serve from 2-0 in the first until 2-2 in the fifth. Absolutely ridiculous with the talent Roger has.
I'd like to see that more from Roger too. But he's someone who likes to work a point, which is fine against just about anyone not named Nadal. Still though I wish he'd watch tape of the Shanghai SF 1st set. The way he came out floored Nadal a bit I think. Seems to me in very important matches when he's nervous he plays more not to lose than to win. Very conservative play.

1 - 20 of 529 Posts