^^
The estimates above are under condition that no WCs are taken and:
Medevdev plays Moscow, Paris and Torino
Tsitsipas plays Vienna, Paris, Torino
Yes indeed

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
I believe Djokovic clinches 345 weeks with this loss, and so now it comes down to the rest of the season

If Medvedev wins Moscow, Vienna, Paris, and YEC 5-0, he gets 10,290 points

If Djokovic skips the rest of the season, he ends with 9850 points

So the YE #1 is not quite finished yet, but Med would have to vulture crazy and Djokovic not to post for it to happen

Also if Tsitsipas wins IW, Vienna, Paris, YEC, he gets 10,215 points, which is also mathematically possible to get to #1

Tsitsipas winning IW will get him tied with Medvedev in the 2021 race too

But Djokovic is also defending 665 points very early in 2022 from ATP Cup 2020, so he must have enough cushion to defend against that

So every week counts. Djokovic now does not need to take a WC to Vienna and can play Paris and Turin without excessive pressure
Yes Djokovic clinches 345 weeks for now. But only 215 points per my calculation away from clinching 355 weeks (till ATP Cup points drop).
I doubt Medvedev will play both Moscow and Vienna ... he will simply burn out himself

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
It looks like you forgot to subtract the 23 IW points?
Thanks .. I'll update the previous post.

But estimate for the 210 points is same since I worked directly with the numbers from the OpenEraRankings

Reactions: uxyzapenje

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yes Djokovic clinches 345 weeks for now. But only 215 points per my calculation away from clinching 355 weeks (till ATP Cup points drop).
I doubt Medvedev will play both Moscow and Vienna ... he will simply burn out himself
I don't think he will play both, even if he loses early in Moscow.

·
Premium Member
29,776 Posts
Upadate on the races:

RACES:

Wintering at No.1: (ATP Open Era & Live Rankings)

1. Djokovic 9940
2. Medvedev 7040 (ELIMINATED)
3. Tsitsipas 6450
4. Zverev 5590 (ELIMINATED)

o Djokovic will need 210 points to spend the winter at No.1 and to pretty much secure 355 weeks at No.1 (still can lose his No.1 earlier after ATP Cup). Novak can lose the NO.1 ONLY if Tsitsipas wins IW, Vienna, Paris and WTF
o Medvedev can't spend the winter at No.1.
o Tsitsipas will need to cover 2901 points
o Zverev can't spend the winter at No.1.
========================================

Race to YE No.1 ( ATP Open Era & Live Rankings )

1. Djokovic 8370
2. Medvedev 6470
3. Tsitsipas 5560
4. Zverev 5005

o Djokovic will need 850 points to secure his 7th YE NO.1
o Medvedev will need to cover 1901 points to win his 1st YE NO.1
o Tsitsipas will need to cover 2810 points to win his 1st YE NO.1
o Zverev will need to cover 3365 points to win his 1st YE NO.1
=========================================
Zverev is surely out of the contest for YE #1 with having needed to win +3365 points. Even if he is playing in top form, that would mean an extra long winning streak which he is probably not capable of sustaining.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Short news update ...
Medvedev withdrew from Moscow ATP 250.
2 WCs left for Vienna, all three WCs left for St. Petersburg

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Will he play? I doubt.. I think he will rest until Bercy.
I think he will not play till Bercy .... I'm very curious though about Zverev. He is in Vienna, Paris. and Stockholm entry lists

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I think he will not play till Bercy .... I'm very curious though about Zverev. He is in Vienna, Paris. and Stockholm entry lists
He will probably withdraw one of them if he wins, of course including IW. But is that insinuating he’s ready to pile up ranking points to be no.1 in the future?

I mean he’s definitely disappointed that he didn’t win a GS first among the nextgen guys, so I wonder what he’s really aiming for, maybe AO title with no.1 ranking??

·
Your visions will happen
54,001 Posts
Short news update ...
Medvedev withdrew from Moscow ATP 250.
2 WCs left for Vienna, all three WCs left for St. Petersburg
Yes, always thought Moscow was too much

Tsitsipas now the closest challenger if he wins IW

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Djokovic will spend the off-season at No.1 (till January 3rd - on January 10th the points from ATP Cup drop). The updated all time table now:

Graf- 377
Laver- 374
Tilden- 368
Renshaw- 366
Gonzales- 365
Wills- 364
Djokovic- 342 (this week) and counting (Clinched 354)
Navratilova- 332
Court- 325
S. Williams- 319
Lenglen- 312
Federer- 310

Reactions: Johnny Groove

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Djokovic will spend the off-season at No.1 (till January 3rd - on January 10th the points from ATP Cup drop). The updated all time table now:

Graf- 377
Laver- 374
Tilden- 368
Renshaw- 366
Gonzales- 365
Wills- 364
Djokovic- 342 (this week) and counting (Clinched 354)
Navratilova- 332
Court- 325
S. Williams- 319
Lenglen- 312
Federer- 310
Do you mean after Tsitsipas's loss today to Basilashvilli and Medvedev's withdrawal of Moscow -- Djokovic is confirmed to be #1 at EOY in the standard ranking?

Is there any variable left? Like we are assuming the Little 3 will not play in Vienna and Stockholm?

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Do you mean after Tsitsipas's loss today to Basilashvilli and Medvedev's withdrawal of Moscow -- Djokovic is confirmed to be #1 at EOY in the standard ranking?

Is there any variable left? Like we are assuming the Little 3 will not play in Vienna and Stockholm?

The only variable left is for Medvedev to break his word and to play Vienna. Namely, he said that if he plays that week, he will take WC in St. Petersburg instead.

1. Djokovic 9940
2. Medvedev 7040 (ELIMINATED, unless he takes WC in Vienna)
3. Tsitsipas 6450 (ELIMINATED)
4. Zverev 5680 (ELIMINATED)

o Medvedev can win maximum of 2500 points in the tournaments he joined. If he plays Vienna and he can actually spend the winter at No.1
o Tsitsipas can win maximum of 3000 points, but can gain maximum of 2760 points (due to the extra tournaments played). Even if he take WC in Stockholm, he can't pass Djokovic
o Zverev plays every tournament till the and and can win maximum of 3250 points + 820 at IW = 4070 points. When we add this to his current 5680 it comes to 9750. So he can't get to No.1

Nobody can join Moscow or Antwerp. WCs from both tournaments are already allocated.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The only variable left is for Medvedev to break his word and to play Vienna. Namely, he said that if he plays that week, he will take WC in St. Petersburg instead.

1. Djokovic 9940
2. Medvedev 7040 (ELIMINATED, unless he takes WC in Vienna)
3. Tsitsipas 6450 (ELIMINATED)
4. Zverev 5680 (ELIMINATED)

o Medvedev can win maximum of 2500 points in the tournaments he joined. If he plays Vienna and he can actually spend the winter at No.1
o Tsitsipas can win maximum of 3000 points, but can gain maximum of 2760 points (due to the extra tournaments played). Even if he take WC in Stockholm, he can't pass Djokovic
o Zverev plays every tournament till the and and can win maximum of 3250 points + 820 at IW = 4070 points. When we add this to his current 5680 it comes to 9750. So he can't get to No.1

Nobody can join Moscow or Antwerp. WCs from both tournaments are already allocated.

Great!! Thanks for working out the update to your numbers, benefits everyone here!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
With Zverev also lost, @Tennis Passion could you update the race to YE#1 title as well please?

From a cursory glance though, looks to me that Medvedev and Tsitsipas still could get the YE#1 title. Zverev though might be out of contention.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Next gen made me work overtime today :LOL:

I'll also post the Race to YE No.1 update since we have a new development. Zverev is eliminated.

1. Djokovic 8370
2. Medvedev 6470
3. Tsitsipas 5650
4. Zverev 5095 (ELIMINATED)

o Djokovic will need 600 points to secure his 7th YE NO.1 (That is, if Medvedev doesn't take WC for Vienna. Otherwise he will need 1100 points).
o Tsitsipas will need to cover 2721 points to win his 1st YE NO.1
o Zverev can't win the YE NO.1 for 2021. Even if he wins Vienna - Paris - Stockholm - Torino and gain 3250 points, he would be 25 points behind Djokovic

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
With Zverev also lost, @Tennis Passion could you update the race to YE#1 title as well please?

From a cursory glance though, looks to me that Medvedev and Tsitsipas still could get the YE#1 title. Zverev though might be out of contention.
You are right on target. Zverev is eliminated

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Next gen made me work overtime today :LOL:

I'll also post the Race to YE No.1 update since we have a new development. Zverev is eliminated.

1. Djokovic 8370
2. Medvedev 6470
3. Tsitsipas 5650
4. Zverev 5095 (ELIMINATED)

o Djokovic will need 600 points to secure his 7th YE NO.1 (That is, if Medvedev doesn't take WC for Vienna. Otherwise he will need 1100 points).
o Tsitsipas will need to cover 2721 points to win his 1st YE NO.1
o Zverev can't win the YE NO.1 for 2021. Even if he wins Vienna - Paris - Stockholm - Torino and gain 3250 points, he would be 25 points behind Djokovic
Although Djokovic is secured in his no.1 ranking, it will be interesting to see if Medvedev can take YE No.1 because it would be bizarre. However, it is highly unlikely.

2481 - 2500 of 2501 Posts